AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
Yeah if you only watch movies and TV like above then you’re covered. However, Games and PC will benefit from higher refresh rates afforded by higher bandwidth even leaving 8k aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and that could be added to 4K also.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes and that could be added to 4K also.

It can, if you add higher bandwidth HDMI - correct... so new interfaces.

HDMI at 18gbps is limited to 4K at 60hz 8bit color.

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
It can, if you add higher bandwidth HDMI - correct... so new interfaces.

HDMI at 18gbps is limited to 4K at 60hz 8bit color.

Yes, I was talking about 4k 48Gbps. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I completely agree, coming from the Epson 6040 to the NX-5 and now the the NX-7 both with DTM, I can rival most Movie Theaters via streaming and Blu-ray. Once again, the best projector investment I’ve ever made hands down. The NX-5 was no slouch, however the NX-7 is truly the next step up IMHO. Therefore, if you can afford the NX7 don’t hesitate, if not get the NX-5 you will not be disappointed with either. You will of course need a controlled light environment for the best experience. Hope this helps someone.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Can I get more of your personal opinon?
I have the 5040 EBU on a Cinegrey 3D 150" 16:9 screen in a pitch black dedicated theater room. I've been reading/watching a ton of research on the NX7. For a screen of my size would it be that much of a noticeable difference going from an Epson 5040?
I have slowly converted my library to almost 100 4K disc (%90 of which I haven't opened yet) and also 3D which is first and foremost for me. Is the 3D on the NX7 more of a pop out compared to the 5040?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I have the 5040 EBU on a Cinegrey 3D 150" 16:9 screen in a pitch black dedicated theater room. I've been reading/watching a ton of research on the NX7. For a screen of my size would it be that much of a noticeable difference going from an Epson 5040?
I have slowly converted my library to almost 100 4K disc (%90 of which I haven't opened yet) and also 3D which is first and foremost for me. Is the 3D on the NX7 more of a pop out compared to the 5040?

Thanks
What's the distance of your projector lens to the screen?

What is your seating distance to the screen?

Are you going to keep 16:9 or move to Scope?

Your Cinegrey 3D screen has a 1.3 gain, but that may not be 100% accurate. 150" Diag requires quite a bit of projector brightness. I have a Da-Lite 125" drag Scope HD screen, when I went to the NX7 the sharpness and clarity of the picture made the picture more movie like for me. However, I also added a DCR Lens attached to my NX7, which adds ~35% more brightness, but it's more for scope screens.

I'm sure others will chime in who own the Cinegrey 3D with the NX-7, they can provide you better information. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

Your Cinegrey 3D screen has a 1.3 gain, but that may not be 100% accurate. 150" Diag requires quite a bit of projector brightness. I have a Da-Lite 125" drag Scope HD screen, when I went to the NX7 the sharpness and clarity of the picture made the picture more movie like for me. However, I also added a DCR Lens attached to my NX7, which adds ~35% more brightness, but it's more for scope screens.

I'm sure others will chime in who own the Cinegrey 3D with the NX-7, they can provide you better information. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
@sddp

It's actually 0.7 gain.

It also requires a longer throw to avoid artifacts. Longer throws means less brightness. Not sure what distance the 5040 is setup now.

The JVC is dimmer (~1000 lumens in Low lamp mode), similar to what the Epson is with the DCI filter.

If the walls/ceiling are treated you should go for the highest gain screen possible and place the PJ as close as possible. With a gain of 1.3 on some screens there will not be any visible (mostly) artifacts.
If the room is not treated, than it should be treated, because positive gain ALR screens in that size are very expensive. Or paints.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Thank you for your reply, the projector is exactly 21' from my screen. And I am/have been planning on going scope (since I want to keep my height that my 150" has which is 75", I have to go with a scope of 180" 2:35.1) so planning on using Paint on Screen 3D4K paint.
%90 of the time I use Cinema (P3 filter) mode but have mine set on HIGH and very content with it. Really curious to know jumping on to a native 4K and the NX7 of all projectors would show that much more clarity and sharpness? Since watching films on screens this large, every nuance is noticeable
The 5040 does and AMAZING job, even for streaming Netflix, but would like to know on 3D blu rays if it would be that much better and more of a pop out and of course on 4K discs? I have watched a few films on Blu ray and then the same on on 4K and did notice a difference, subtle and not night and day, but it was definitely an improvement.

Ideally I'm hoping Epson would come out with a native 4K E-shift to 8K like the JVC NX9. I imagine that is inevitable, but at least 5-7 years away as Epson does not even have a line of native 4K. And the price on the NX9 is unrealistic considering that it won't take in 8K signal, then if and when that becomes the norm, the projector is immediately obsolete.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
^With that size of screen I am pretty sure you will see the improvement in clarity with the NX5/7.

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
E-shift on the epson to native 4k on the JVC is not the biggest delta. (And in my opinion pretty much immaterial — like so minimal as to be I don’t care about it after seeing both multiple times in multiple rooms). The biggest and best delta is how much better the JVC handles HDR and dark scenes. That I do care about, and the difference floored me, but you have to decide if thats worth the extra price of entry.

·
Registered
885 Posts
how does an n7 compare lumens wise to a 6050?

i am worried if going from 6040 to n7 i will lose brightness. I feel i appreciate very lumen i have in eco/medium lamp mode.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quite amazing discussion! Would you guys go with 6050/MadVR Envy combo vs pure-NX5/NX7 in light-controlled room with light colored walls, 130" scope screen, 10-11 feet seating distance, 0.93 woven AT screen ultraweave v7? Or just 6050 only?

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts
I'd much rather have a plain NX5 even over a 5050/Envy.

Envy tone-mapping is somewhat better than the NX tone-mapping, but no processor can make up for lack of native contrast, and the NX5 is about 4x higher native contrast than the Epson.

The NX tone-mapping is good enough IMO.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey guys,

bit of a similar question here, sorry if you feel it has been answered already a lot, but I did read quite a bit of this thread (and others).

I currently have the 6050UB, running with madVR, in a completely light controlled room with black velvet walls, ceiling and floor, on a DIY 116" 2.40:1 AT spandex screen with a gain of about 0.7 to 0.8 I believe. I'm loving the picture to be clear. Sitting at 9-10 feet. Watching mostly 4K movies.

However I'm also considering to upgrade to an NX5 (or maybe NX7). I have no possibilities to demo them, so I have to go based on reviews and forums. Since the price difference between the 6050 and the NX5 is huge here in Belgium (€2500 vs €6000), the improvements should also be huge and that's where I'm concerned. Am I basically paying for improved contrast ? I already have great image processing and tone mapping with madVR, I have enough lumens for good HDR performance and possibly the eshift is very similar to native 4K at my seating distance. Is this correct ? Or is there still a (small) sharpness improvement, and does the improved contrast make the overall picture so much better ?​
Would appreciate opinions of people that have seen/owned both in similar setups. Thanks for your time.​

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Hey guys,

bit of a similar question here, sorry if you feel it has been answered already a lot, but I did read quite a bit of this thread (and others).

I currently have the 6050UB, running with madVR, in a completely light controlled room with black velvet walls, ceiling and floor, on a DIY 116" 2.40:1 AT spandex screen with a gain of about 0.7 to 0.8 I believe. I'm loving the picture to be clear. Sitting at 9-10 feet. Watching mostly 4K movies.

However I'm also considering to upgrade to an NX5 (or maybe NX7). I have no possibilities to demo them, so I have to go based on reviews and forums. Since the price difference between the 6050 and the NX5 is huge here in Belgium (€2500 vs €6000), the improvements should also be huge and that's where I'm concerned. Am I basically paying for improved contrast ? I already have great image processing and tone mapping with madVR, I have enough lumens for good HDR performance and possibly the eshift is very similar to native 4K at my seating distance. Is this correct ? Or is there still a (small) sharpness improvement, and does the improved contrast make the overall picture so much better ?​
Would appreciate opinions of people that have seen/owned both in similar setups. Thanks for your time.​
Our too seating distances aren’t too far apart, I’m 9ft from a 112” Scopescreen. I was lucky enough to do a direct comparison with a Sony 360es native 4K, not a JVC but similar resolution and my opinion and the opinion of my two kids and the owner of the Sony was from our two viewing distance you wouldn’t really see any tangible difference in sharpness compared to the Epson.

Contrast is a different matter, since you are using an acoustic screen you didn’t have the option as I did to go grey to improve my contrast which it definitely did though still not to the level of even the NX5, so here you will definitely see a sizeable improvement over the Epson and whilst your MadVR is probably better at handling HDR that even the JVC’s onboard processing it at least can handle streaming which MadVR can’t.

But like you I struggle to justify the price difference between the two, 3.5K if you didn’t already own the Epson but as a secondhand projector you will struggle to get much beyond €1750 for it so to change will be more like €4250, as you will already hear on here improvements aren’t linear and as the level of performance increases the cost of even small improvements are greater, only you can’t decide whether it’s worth it.

Personally I would wait until you can demo one, your Epson’s price won’t drop much more than where it’s at already and if JVC replace it latter this year you might have the option to either go for the replacement or strike a deal for the older model.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts

Thanks
Yes, I had the Epson 6040 and the video upgrade impact with the JVX NX7 was significant in a light controlled room, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went from an Epson 5040 to an NX JVC and will not return to an Epson anytime soon. It was well worth the cost increase. Black levels to me are the difference maker in home theater and the JVC is mountains better. My son is a big gamer and never has complained about lag since the switch either. I cannot recommend a switch enough if anyone is on the fence.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all. So Indeed I would "only" be paying for the improved contrast and black levels, but according to most opinions this is a significant upgrade in picture quality.

I found a dealer who has a 30-day money back guarantee so maybe I can try it for 2-3 weeks and decide if it's worth the extra cost for me.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,386 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all. So Indeed I would "only" be paying for the improved contrast and black levels, but according to most opinions this is a significant upgrade in picture quality.

I found a dealer who has a 30-day money back guarantee so maybe I can try it for 2-3 weeks and decide if it's worth the extra cost for me.
You should know in a couple hours and should not need 2-3 weeks to decide. Blacks will be better, sharpness better.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
30,765 Posts

If you try out a projector for 2-3 weeks and then return it, you have cost that dealer a lot of money. He will have lost the 3% credit card fee, the shipping cost if shipping was included one way and the reduced selling price of an open box projector with several hours on it. Here in the US, that loss would be over $500.

401 - 420 of 437 Posts