AVS Forum banner

421 - 437 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you try out a projector for 2-3 weeks and then return it, you have cost that dealer a lot of money. He will have lost the 3% credit card fee, the shipping cost if shipping was included one way and the reduced selling price of an open box projector with several hours on it. Here in the US, that loss would be over $500.
That would be his problem, right ? If he doesn't put any conditions to the 30-days, then he is obviously OK with this possibility. In any case, I would say from the beginning that I am not sure about the picture quality and that I would like to try it before I spend €6000. I wouldn't pay by credit card anyway, and would never have a €6000 projector shipped, I would go and pick it up.​

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
That would be his problem, right ? If he doesn't put any conditions to the 30-days, then he is obviously OK with this possibility. In any case, I would say from the beginning that I am not sure about the picture quality and that I would like to try it before I spend €6000. I wouldn't pay by credit card anyway, and would never have a €6000 projector shipped, I would go and pick it up.​
I would check the fine print. I would be surprised if no conditions for a projector. Heck you could run 100 hours on a projector in 30 days. It can become everybody's problem if policy's get abused too much. Costs for dealer go up and selling price gets increased. Or the policy goes away. As Markmon said, you should be able to tell with 2 or 3 hours of use.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all. So Indeed I would "only" be paying for the improved contrast and black levels, but according to most opinions this is a significant upgrade in picture quality.

I found a dealer who has a 30-day money back guarantee so maybe I can try it for 2-3 weeks and decide if it's worth the extra cost for me.
In that case it's win win because you can compare directly along side your Epson, buy yourself or borrow a HDMI splitter and run both side by side then you will be able to clearly see the differences. In isolation it’s easy to assume the differences aren’t that great when they might actually be huge and vice versa.

Reactions: jorisdriesen

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all. So Indeed I would "only" be paying for the improved contrast and black levels, but according to most opinions this is a significant upgrade in picture quality.

I found a dealer who has a 30-day money back guarantee so maybe I can try it for 2-3 weeks and decide if it's worth the extra cost for me.
The NX5 will show a notable difference especially in the right room.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would check the fine print. I would be surprised if no conditions for a projector. Heck you could run 100 hours on a projector in 30 days. It can become everybody's problem if policy's get abused too much. Costs for dealer go up and selling price gets increased. Or the policy goes away. As Markmon said, you should be able to tell with 2 or 3 hours of use.
Was in contact with the shop, the 30-day money back only applies when there's less than 1 hour on the bulb :). He invited me to his demo room to check out the PJ but I'm not sure how interesting that will be when there's nothing to compare to, and there's no info on PJ calibration, settings, etc. What do you guys think ? It's a +2 hour drive for me so I would need to take a day off work.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts
Was in contact with the shop, the 30-day money back only applies when there's less than 1 hour on the bulb :). He invited me to his demo room to check out the PJ but I'm not sure how interesting that will be when there's nothing to compare to, and there's no info on PJ calibration, settings, etc. What do you guys think ? It's a +2 hour drive for me so I would need to take a day off work.
ProjecorPeople allows up to 4 hours of bulb use to return without a restocking fee.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Can't go on a Saturday? Is that 2 plus hours each way or was that total? If only an hour plus away, I would go. That way you will have your answer, rather than wondering what if?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can't go on a Saturday? Is that 2 plus hours each way or was that total? If only an hour plus away, I would go. That way you will have your answer, rather than wondering what if?
+2 hours one way unfortunately. I have been there before, when trying to decide between the UHD65 and the 6050UB. It's a nice batcave, but so difficult to compare when there are 5 minutes between each scene because he needs to change the projector.

Plus when I go there, my girlfriend knows I'm up to something :)

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
+2 hours one way unfortunately. I have been there before, when trying to decide between the UHD65 and the 6050UB. It's a nice batcave, but so difficult to compare when there are 5 minutes between each scene because he needs to change the projector.

Plus when I go there, my girlfriend knows I'm up to something :)
Sounds like you are just going to have to decide what you want to do. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread alive since 2020. I'm sure there are many of us that face the same upgrade questions.
I have a Epson 5050ube and am considering either getting a HDFury for the LLDV hack to enjoy somewhat increased HDR performance or just jumping to the JVC NX5 for the dynamic tone mapping (DTM) and not buy a HDFury. Can anyone comment if the the dynamic tone mapping was worth the increased cost (about $1800 upgrading to the NX5 for me) and if DTM was also applied effectively for SDR content? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread alive since 2020. I'm sure there are many of us that face the same upgrade questions.
I have a Epson 5050ube and am considering either getting a HDFury for the LLDV hack to enjoy somewhat increased HDR performance or just jumping to the JVC NX5 for the dynamic tone mapping (DTM) and not buy a HDFury. Can anyone comment if the the dynamic tone mapping was worth the increased cost (about $1800 upgrading to the NX5 for me) and if DTM was also applied effectively for SDR content? Thank you.
If you can afford the NX-5, I think it's worth the upgrade, if you have a light controlled room. DTM is only applied to HDR content, unless you change the SDR config in the Menu.

You will upgrade with the NX-5 to native 4K vs the Epson 5050UB which is 4K e-shift. Also, I believe the 5050UB is wireless the NX-5 does not currently have this feature. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
If you can afford the NX-5, I think it's worth the upgrade, if you have a light controlled room. DTM is only applied to HDR content, unless you change the SDR config in the Menu.

You will upgrade with the NX-5 to native 4K vs the Epson 5050UB which is 4K e-shift. Also, I believe the 5050UB is wireless the NX-5 does not currently have this feature. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
There’s two versions of the Epson, one with wireless and one without at least this is true here in Europe so check this out first.

421 - 437 of 437 Posts