AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting one so wanted to see other peoples screenshots showing what this projector can do since i dont see many on here.Thanks

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am interested in seeing people's photos as well.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hi Dman, wow great looking photos! What screen are you projecting onto? And how do you feel about the black level? I have never owned a projector before. I currently have a Westinghouse 32" LCD TV and I am very satisfied with the black level at night. Your photos make the dark tones on screen look very rich. But people say this projector has weak blacks...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Justin, glad you like the pics

This is my first projector and so far I've been very happy. I'm using a 92" Grandview matte white 1.0 gain screen.

The black level is very good but not great, for the price point of the projector I don't think you can ask for more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No other pj can touch the epson for the money. It blends sharpness, brightness!, high contrast and very good blacks. did I day brightness?, if you need the extra lums, it can light up the room and manage a decent picture. If you want a increment or two of better blacks go with a gray screen, thats what I have and all my buddies are impressed, last night a guy that has the Panny 3000 came buy and he was shocked how good my pj is. His Panny is dim compared to mine. I think it boils down to if you want the best blacks then its simple spend an extra 1K, for the 6500UB.

·
Registered
903 Posts
VideoDrone, what type and size of gray screen are you using? Neekos, wow, those screenshots look like you're seeing through a window! What screen are you using?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Would someone mind posting SS of a 6100 shooting a 144" (diag) screen (give or take some inches)?

My new house leaves me with an opportunity/problem - the projection area is a large living room with a high ceiling and NO light control. The house also requires much renovation. For the time being I've got my ae900 sitting on some moving boxes (directly under where the new pj will be mounted) and throwing a 12 foot diag. picture at min zoom (gotta save those lumens). It's shooting at drywall desperately in need of attention with just a fresh coat of killz on it. Frankly, I'm amazed at the quality of the picture I am getting. Now, during daylight hours, it's a no go, but even with some inside lighting, the evening pq is far better than this sub-sub-optimal arrangement of equipment and environment would have led me to expect. Of course, pushing it this far shows the problems of motion blur and black level in starker relief, but that's nothing a new pj and custom screen can't fix.

So - knowing that few folks push to the 12 foot+ screen size, and knowing that little flaws start to become big ones at this level, I curious to see SS of the 6100, 6500, and ae3000 in the 150" range.

Damn I love this hobby.

·
Registered
168 Posts
nice pics guys.

I am very close to making this my first ever projector purchase. I was looking at the High Power screen when I was considering another projector. I have heard many rave about this screen provided that you have the proper set up for it, but I am wondering if this would be overkill in terms of brightness using it with this projector? Is it possible to be too bright? Does anyone use the High Power with the projector and if so are you happy with the results?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck /forum/post/15579400

VideoDrone, what type and size of gray screen are you using? Neekos, wow, those screenshots look like you're seeing through a window! What screen are you using?

I'm using a Focupix 1.3 Gain Fixed Frame screen. It's pretty good for the price.

I currently own a 6500UB which has to go back due to dead pixels. These shots were taken when I had the 6100 briefly in my home. It belonged to a friend. I then went ahead and ordered a 6500UB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice pics.I have never hd a projector and not even a high def tv so im trying to decide but all i see about projectors on here is people saying dead pixels or the convergence is off and its kinda making me not want to waste 1900 on one and it not be right.I did see a plasma tv last night at bestbuy with wall e playing and it doing 120 hz and it just seemed weird like everyone was saying about it was like watching a home video.Just seem weird to me and didnt like it so it doesnt matter if the projector has that or not

·
Registered
903 Posts
Man, I have spent hours reading on these forums trying to figure out what is the best screen option to choose? An Elite: CineWhite / CineGray, or DIY: Laminate Designer White, Fashion Gray, Platinum, other shade of gray, or painted Black Widow. It literally makes my head spin.

Edit: If I narrow it down to the Wilsonart laminates, do you think I should choose Fashion Gray based on the 1800 lumens of the 6100?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Some asks about screens well mine is a simple DIY project. I came from a pj that had very good light output but limited blacks, so I went with a dryway painted (Behr Silverscreen, from Home Depot), I fogot the gain (??), but a lot of people "back in the day" though it was a great paint/color. I think it gives my 6100 a little extra in the blacks..... but after logging more time on this pj, blacks are nice and deep. Anyway given that the 6100 puts out huge amounts of light, and I can not underestimate that, I can have a background light on in Theatre1 with the lamp in low power! Kick the lamp to high power in Theatre1 mode, with the dynamic iris in normal, and movies pop off the screen, and if you want a background light on, not a problem at all. In fact, that is probably the mode I am going to use at my superbowl party (pending testing today with the playoffs). Also my screen is 106", I think any screen less that 100" will be too small for the amount of light this thing puts out. Watched Meet Dave last night, ps3 at 1080p, and it was just sizzling of the screen. I can truely say I have now have hands down better display that the local cinemas... For those on the fence the screen shots above are representive of what you will get at home.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe off topic...but the problem with most projectors Ive seen are when the picture's very dark. The colors are not very well defined and it tends to wash out. The Dark Knight comes to mind. Maybe my settings are not right...

·
Registered
903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry /forum/post/15586252

Maybe off topic...but the problem with most projectors Ive seen are when the picture's very dark. The colors are not very well defined and it tends to wash out. The Dark Knight comes to mind. Maybe my settings are not right...

Are you referring to the 6100? And what screen?

·
Registered
165 Posts
nah just in general... thats why I said its a little off topic
I think it's inherent in most projectors under 3k though...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:

I think it's the problem with the rooms you've seen those projectors at, or the settings. Properly setup $2k projector should have an astounding picture on the screen of the right size.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts