AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I will admit I am a noob so be nice.

I have a hitachi pj-tx100 and am ready to replace it and I am trying to figure out if the 8700 is worth the extra thousand over the 8350.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hard to answer as "worth" is really personal. Is a Sim2 Lumis worth $40k more? To some, yes.
Seriously though, the 8700 is notably better, but I understand your concern that for $1000 would be it justifiable. Long of the short either will kill your Hitachi...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just upgraded from the 8100 to the 8700UB. Is the 8700UB better? Yes. Is it worth the upgrade? Depends. If you watch a lot of sports, the frame interpolation on the 8700UB is really nice. I don't like frame interpolation at all on anything else. Detail enhancement is nice too. On a movie, unless you're looking at them side by side, I don't think you'll notice the difference, unless you're really picky. Me, I notice the difference, but to do over again I'd save the money and keep the 8100. I think a good calibration makes more difference than the projector difference. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Frame interpolation when implemented properly is important to some. And if the projector is truly set up properly in a dark man cave, black levels and contrast are discernible. If those are worth an extra 1k, hard to say how much value you put on those parameters. But you would certainly get a heck of a lot of enjoyment out the 8350 for $1199.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts