AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the projector the day before I left for christmas/new year's vacation and it worked fine. I just tried using it today, first time after getting back, and it won't turn on and the red Bulb light is flashing, indicating a bulb failure. No one was home while we were away and the house was kept at a constant 55F.

That seems odd to me that the bulb would fail like that with zero warning. The manual says that the projector should warn you to replace the bulb before it totally fails. Could it be something else? How would I troubleshoot this?

If it is the bulb...after a brief search online, they seem far too cheap. This one seems like an original Epson branded bulb and it's $84. Does that sound right? I thought projector bulbs were typically $200-$300?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I used the projector the day before I left for christmas/new year's vacation and it worked fine. I just tried using it today, first time after getting back, and it won't turn on and the red Bulb light is flashing, indicating a bulb failure. No one was home while we were away and the house was kept at a constant 55F.

That seems odd to me that the bulb would fail like that with zero warning. The manual says that the projector should warn you to replace the bulb before it totally fails. Could it be something else? How would I troubleshoot this?

If it is the bulb...after a brief search online, they seem far too cheap. This one seems like an original Epson branded bulb and it's $84. Does that sound right? I thought projector bulbs were typically $200-$300?
Hello,

It is possible that, for some reason, the lamp failed the moment you turned it on today.

I would first try to take out the lamp and putting it back in, just in case the projector is being touchy (like they so often are).

You can get everything from cheap ELPLP49 bare bulbs for $40 to genuine ones with housing for $300. The disadvantages of cheaper bulbs are consistency of brightness levels, shorter life, greater risk of failure/exploding and lack of UV filtering; these last two are likely to damage your projector. However, I have been using the cheapest bulbs for a while and I'm satisfied with them. Your projector is currently worth around $400, so you may decide how much you're willing to spend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts