• Mitsubishi HC400 for $1,099

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I know this question has been done to death in previous posts but it was when the projectors had significant price differences (with the HC4000 usually being more expensive.

Now that the HC4000 is only $1.1K as compared to the 8350 for $1.2K, is the HC4000 a no brainer? Or am I missing something? Should I wait until CDIA for a drop in prices or will that not really happen?

I'm basically looking for the highest quality in videogames, if that matters, projector mounted on balcony level, dark dark room, so would one be more suitable? I've been reading a lot and it doesn't really make the decision easier!

All thoughts appreciated, many thanks,

AR

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
If the HC4000 will work in your room and RBE does not bother anybody that regularly use the projector then I would definitely go with the HC4000 even if we were talking even money. Only thing right now that we know of that is close to these two projectors in price is the Optoma HD33. Have not heard any talk of sub 1k projectors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20885742

If the HC4000 will work in your room and RBE does not bother anybody that regularly use the projector then I would definitely go with the HC4000 even if we were talking even money. Only thing right now that we know of that is close to these two projectors in price is the Optoma HD33. Have not heard any talk of sub 1k projectors.

That sounds great, and thanks to everyone who has voted already. I've never used a projector so I'm not sure whether the RBE effect will be an issue... is it something I should worry about?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
The hc4000 can do CIH, even without a lens.

There are some trade-offs you make for each different type of CIH implementation you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentred /forum/post/20886194

That sounds great, and thanks to everyone who has voted already. I've never used a projector so I'm not sure whether the RBE effect will be an issue... is it something I should worry about?

At most, only about 1 in 5 people are bothered enough by RBE to make it an issue. I am one of the few extremely bothered, but even when I was bothered, I'd still take a Mits hc4000 over an Epson 8350. Yes, I've seen both and also owned the 8500ub and the hc3800 as well as owned the Mits hc4000. So you have at most a 20% chance, although some would say it's more like 1 in 10 people (10% chance). Whatever it is, the chances aren't huge.

Buy it from a place with a good return or exchange policy and you will have nothing to worry about.

Having owned the 8500ub and hc4000, and having seen the 8350 in action a few times, the hc4000 is a significant step up in sharpess, best mode brightness, better contrast in all scenes except the darkest of the dark where it is almost a tie, and more natural looking colors.

Even the 8700ub by Epson doesn't quite match the Mits in brighter scenes or bright scenes with mixed blacks, the Mits is still sharper and has that DLP POP to it. Although with the 8700ub, this enhanced Epson beats the black levels of the Mits very very easily, but not so vs. the 8350, it's a very very slight win for the Epson 8350 in black levels vs. the Mits in the darkest scenes, but most scenes will favor the Mits overall anyhow, plus to beat the Mits with the Epson 8350 in any darkish scenes you have to have the IRIS pretty much nearly fully engaged which many people do not prefer anyhow.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentred /forum/post/20886194

RBE bothered me so I went with a LCD projector(Epson 8100) It's hard to tell if your family will be bothered by it unless they can view a DLP to see if it bothers them. I've heard some people even get motion sickness from it(extreme sensitivity). The other thing to consider is where you are going to mount it. The Epson is pretty flexible on where you can mount it because of the lens shift feature. I'm not sure with the HC4000.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
The Mits hc4000 is not flexible at mounting, that's what keeps the price lower. So the question becomes LCD mounting flexibility vs. DLP POP, it's a subjective question, some people do actually prefer LCD over DLP, but in this sub $1500 price range MOST do prefer DLP ONLY IF they can make the DLP placement work and are not sensitive to rainbows.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Flexibility in mounting is pretty pivotal for me (the projector will be moved frequently) so I guess I have to go for the 8350. Thanks for helping me decide!

So should I wait until the CDIA in expectation of a price drop? Or just bite the bullet and pick up a projector today?

H

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
From the stats of the newer models in Europe. The entry level Epsons won't have lens shift. So in the end, you'll still have to get the 8350 or one of the earlier models.

You will get 3D in place of lens shift. You can find the stat sheet here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357645 in the $3000 up forum.

Unless you're into 3D ..might as well grab an 8350 now. I doubt prices will drop, since many need the lens shift.

·
Registered
162 Posts
in IQ mitsubishi HC4000 is better but epson 8350 have more placement flexibility.

so IMO is if you have the place to mount any projector, i will go for HC4000, but cant go wrong with epson 8350. the 2 are great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone thanks for all the responses!!

I ordered the 8350 for $1130 on Amazon, ease of installation is really key since we move it around so much. And if they announce something especially amazing at CEDIA or the price drops I can return it within the window. Thanks again, hope this thread helps anyone in the same position,

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Congrats. I think you will be very pleased. I've had the 8100 for almost two years now and am still very happy with it. You also can't beat Epson's customer service in case something goes wrong. Mine has been trouble free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.