AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The last time I had a projector was a panny and epson 720p.

Does the current 8350 have improved blacks or it is still grey?

My setup unfortunately cannot block out ambient light. I am face towards 2 large sliding doors typical in an apartment.

I use a black fabric background photostand to cover the sliding door. My lcd tv is in front of the black fabric.

I just get use to watching tv and not letting the light bother me.

My question, since the ambient light is behind the screen vs. hitting the projector screen, do I still need a brighter screen?

I have seen the rs1 and rs2 demo some years ago, just blown away by the deep blacks and colors, this being in a true HT room setup.

Should I pay double the price of the 8350 for an rs40 or go for the rs40. I still need to read more but I hear the rs40 is just not bright enough.

Not bright enough for 3d but 2d is still very good?

Screen is simple epson duet 80". I am sitting about 9-10 feet from the screen. I have approx. 6 ft. Behind me to position the projector.

Thanks

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,799 Posts
the RS40 is much better. If you are concerned about 3D on the RS40 being to dim,its better than have no 3d like on the Epson 8350

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Although it's last years model, this 5010 might be a consideration, good blacks, 3d, brightness. 2 yr warranty on the refurb, $1700 http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-5010-R

AVS store also had some open boxes at around $2k, even the wireless version at just over $2k. No dynamic iris in 3d mode, (that was added to the latest model), and different glasses, but that's about all you lose.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. After much further reading I looked into the 5020ub, RS46 and the hw50es.

Looks like the epson still has screen door effect. So I'm down to the rs46 and the 50es.

I am about 10' from the screen, 84"

My concern with the rs46 is having read so many issues with it such as firmware upgrade that you need to ship the unit in.

Something about the switcher and 3d. Also short lamp life issues. Also, out of the box colors are off. After calibration then it is great. When they say after calibration, is this professional calibration requiring an experience personal to do the calibrations or they mean pop in a disney wow and tweak some parameters? Pro calibration bumps up the price of the jvc making the sony the better deal overall. Also the sony being brighter.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.