AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...

Is there any projector in the same price range (approx 1000-1400) that will outperform the Epson 8350/8100?

What are the advantages of DLP vs LCD? Does LCD require more maintenance, etc? or are they just as "plug and play" as DLP

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien /forum/post/19526232

Hey there...

Is there any projector in the same price range (approx 1000-1400) that will outperform the Epson 8350/8100?

What are the advantages of DLP vs LCD? Does LCD require more maintenance, etc? or are they just as "plug and play" as DLP

Thanks.

Mitsu HC4000, but really depends on what you are using them for, and what your preferences are.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien /forum/post/19526337

Generally just movies/tv and some gaming.

The HC4000 produces a sharper image, which is nice for games and sports, and if you are sensitive to input lag I would avoid the epsons.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3000 /forum/post/19526725

The HC4000 produces a sharper image, which is nice for games and sports, and if you are sensitive to input lag I would avoid the epsons.

Total BS. (no offense) The 8360 exhibits absolutely NO input lag.

This has been decisively proven by the scads of new owners playing COD for hours on end.

As for the HC4000 better image....well that's only a personal opinion garnered by those who own/have always owned DLPs. The Epson is super sharp, and it's contrast performance every bit as good as any "non 3 Chip" DLP. Especially those anywhere near it's price-point.

There's even more!

The Epson has Lens Shift.

More Lumens

It's Quieter

Better Warranty (...even the Bulb)

Cost less.
(...the Epson does have a Filter...easily accessible...but if your a Non-Smoker and don't live in a Barn, it's a 6 months cycle of cleaning. Remove...rinse...replace...)

Snipe, totally not ragging on ya, but you should not make such blanket statements and effectively deny someone the entire story without doing them a gross disservice.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19527178

This has been decisively proven by the scads of new owners playing COD for hours on end.

As for the HC4000 better image....well that's only a personal opinion garnered by those who own/have always owned DLPs. The Epson is super sharp, and it's contrast performance every bit as good as any "non 3 Chip" DLP. Especially those anywhere near it's price-point.

There's even more!

More Lumens

It's Quieter

Cost less.
(...the Epson does have a Filter...easily accessible...but if your a Non-Smoker and don't live in a Barn, it's a 6 months cycle of cleaning. Remove...rinse...replace...)

Snipe, totally not ragging on ya, but you should not make such blanket statements and effectively deny someone the entire story without doing them a gross disservice.

Yep, you heard it here folks, from the expert to the experts, greatest thing since sliced bread... not sure why anyone bothers to offer anything different...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Take a look at the HD20

It lacks lens shift and the fan noise is a little louder but it has great pq for under $1000.

*Most, if not all DLP projectors under $3000 do not have lens shift so you must place the projector below or above the screen borders. If placement is not an issue, take a look at the HD20.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just got the hd20 and I was up till 6am watching it.. 1080p is stunning on my 92 screen...I dont get caught up in all the numbers and just enjoy the picture. The picture has so much pop its breathtaking. I painted my screen wall and entire ceiling flat black along with putting black fabric 12 inches around the entire screen. Enjoy your projectors everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned both the Epson 8350 and previous to that the Mitsubishi HC3800. I loved the added placement flexibility and greater light output of the Epson but was underwhelmed with its image quality. Overall I found that the Mitsubishi produced a sharper image with greater dynamic range and reproduced colour with more accuracy.

My preference is for a film like image it must be said. The Epson may be the better choice for those looking for a high light output (in its high brightness modes) or ease of placement.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:

I can guarantee you the 8350 does have some amount of input lag. Whether it's more or less than the HC4000 is something I can't tell you (as I don't know the answer myself). However, the difference in input lag is probably not enough to base a deciding factor. Also, most people probably won't notice the input lag from either of these projectors, but there are the few tournament/pro/(even some normal) level players that might.

And Hell, I bet most people gaming here are using wireless controllers. Although the people specifically asking about input lag may not be.

IMO, the Epson 8350 looks much more appealing to me for reasons already stated in this thread. But both projectors seem to be great from what I've heard.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/19536094

The HD20 does have some image lag as well but it's probably negligible.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19526755

As a friendly disclaimer, the test which I conducted did show that the HD20 was actually faster than my LCD monitor. However, I have no way of knowing how fast either of the two are lagging from the source other than Dell's rating of 6 ms (gray to gray) for the monitor.

From a gamer's standpoint, the HD20 is fast in comparison to my LCD monitor. Not sure if it is because of the DLP chip or not. However, I honestly cannot feel any lag when gaming on my LCD either though, so maybe its a moot point.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphus
And Hell, I bet most people gaming here are using wireless controllers. Although the people specifically asking about input lag may not be.
Or running everything through a receiver that could add lag. Don't forget the whole blown bulb issue on past Epson models, although they are always quick to offer you a new bulb or a refurbished unit.

I've been reading up on the Acer 5360, it's 720P but does 3D for games. It's not that much money and has some good reviews. Link

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm wondering how the W1000+ compares to the Epson 8350

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:

There's even more!

More Lumens

It's Quieter

Cost less.

I second!!! MississippiMan here.

Without going into DLP is better than LCD etc....

I've played Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, CoD MW2 and Soul Calibur and RB2. Lag is not an issue with the 8350. The video processing on this projector is very simple (just like the hc4000). Not a lot of stuff is going on. Basically, what comes in, comes out. Its when you have fancy scalers or de-interlacers or enable FI like on other projectors that lag becomes more of an issue due to all the stuff that's going on at processing.

All digital displays have some sort of input lag, but with the 8350 lag is on the low side (the same with the hc4000).

What makes the Epson a better value than the hc4000 is all that MississippiMan stated above and the fact that if you go to the 8350's Owners thread, you will find much less issues in 50+ pages than in the hc4000 thread with less than 6 pages. The Epson has proven to be a more reliable unit so far.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi
The video processing on this projector is very simple (just like the hc4000). Not a lot of stuff is going on. Basically, what comes in, comes out. Its when you have fancy scalers or de-interlacers or enable FI like on other projectors that lag becomes more of an issue due to all the stuff that's going on at processing.

All digital displays have some sort of input lag, but with the 8350 lag is on the low side (the same with the hc4000).
The more expensive 8700 Epson has the Silicon Optix HQV Reon-VX processor and from what I have read there isn't a "game mode" or way to disable the processor to speed things up.

Has anyone played guitar hero or similar on the 8350, those type of games always seem to point out lag if there is any.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will also completely agree here with MississippiMan.

The amount of input lag here is the same as with just about any electronics device. I have my PC hooked up to this 8350 PJ and have played Counter Strike Source and Team Fortress 2 on this 8350 PJ. The results are excellent. I have played video games semi-professionally in the past. I would say if you are experiencing any type of noticeable input lag then you have something hooked up wrong or possibly a defective unit.

edit.

To add to the original post. The only units that I am aware of in this price range is the HC4000. For me personally the placement flexibility of the 8350 was the deciding factor. The 8350 is my first projector so I am not sure what the differences in PQ are on the DLP projector. I did once have a DLP tv(broke like 6 times) man that was a pain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.