AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of going from 8700 to 5030, or the sony HW40 --

i have had the 8700 for roughly 3-4 years, mounted on the ceiling upside down, and roughly 1 foot or a little more above the top of my screen's height, so i think i do need quite a significant amount of lens shift capability.

concerns:

my bulb in my 8700 got very dim and burned out after being dim for 2-3 days. thankfully, i have a spare and while my evening was delayed by around 45 minutes of futzing with it to change the bulb, it all went back to normal.

however, buying another bulb as a spare to keep "in house" is around $250 to $300.

i'm thinking: for a 3-4 year old projector, maybe it is smart to upgrade to the 5030 or the Sony HW40?

Potential Issues:

- Sony might have insufficient lens shift?

- the best color, i am guessing, of my 8700, is seemingly THX to my non-professional (though enthusiast's) eyes. HOWEVER, in THX mode, the lumens outputs of the 8700 versus the 5030 is identical!!! what is the brightness benefit then of me upgrading to the 5030, i wonder?

From Projector Central:

"When it comes to pure home theater image quality, THX mode is hard to beat. It has more accurate color than the 5030UB's other image modes, which calibration improves even further, and the best contrast performance as well. THX mode at its factory settings measures 690 lumens with the lamp at full power and 512 lumens at low power. Our calibration, which improved both white balance and color gamut, resulted in a final light output of 479 lumens."

"On our sample of the 8700 UB, THX mode measured 660 lumens with the lens at wide angle, which is similar to our reading on the 8500 UB (637). That's more than enough light for a standard 120" diagonal 16:9 image in a light-controlled room, and a screen of 150" diagonal would not be unreasonable, either. Keep in mind that you can use low lamp mode with any image preset to extend lamp life to 5,000 hours and reduce lumens by 22%."[/SIZE][/SIZE]

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
If your not interested in 3D I would keep the 8700. If you got 3 years out of the first lamp you now should have another 3 years to decide. If You don't feel comfortable not having a spare lamp $250/300 is a lot cheaper then $2500 for a new comparable projector. If your just looking for an excuse for a new projector the Sony would be my choice and it should have enough shift for your fairly normal installation.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for your reply, but this is my real confusion and question:

how can the THX mode of BOTH the 8700 and the 5030 be almost identical in the upper 600 lumens range?

shouldn't the 5030 be brighter significantly?

- the best color, i am guessing, of my 8700, is seemingly THX to my non-professional (though enthusiast's) eyes. HOWEVER, in THX mode, the lumens outputs of the 8700 versus the 5030 is identical!!! what is the brightness benefit then of me upgrading to the 5030, i wonder?

From Projector Central:

"When it comes to pure home theater image quality, THX mode is hard to beat. It has more accurate color than the 5030UB's other image modes, which calibration improves even further, and the best contrast performance as well. THX mode at its factory settings measures 690 lumens with the lamp at full power and 512 lumens at low power. Our calibration, which improved both white balance and color gamut, resulted in a final light output of 479 lumens."

"On our sample of the 8700 UB, THX mode measured 660 lumens with the lens at wide angle, which is similar to our reading on the 8500 UB (637). That's more than enough light for a standard 120" diagonal 16:9 image in a light-controlled room, and a screen of 150" diagonal would not be unreasonable, either. Keep in mind that you can use low lamp mode with any image preset to extend lamp life to 5,000 hours and reduce lumens by 22%."

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Epson use a filter to reduce light output and increase colour accuracy in THX mode.

That's why it is dimmer.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Epson use a filter to reduce light output and increase colour accuracy in THX mode.

That's why it is dimmer.
well, filter or no filter, the issue is my 8700 is supposedly giving high 600s lumens in THX mode, yet, apparently, the 5030 is as well in the high 600s lumens range.

so what is my benefit in upgrading from the 8700 to the 5030, i'm wondering?

initially, i thought that with the 4 years or so of advancements (from the introduction of the 8700 to the introduction of the 5030), significant brightness would be available. of course, i meant ACCURATE, significant brightness, i.e. THX mode.

sigh. this is so odd. how can one buy the 5030 and take it home and discover that it is no brighter in THX mode than the 8700? it boggles my mine.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
well, filter or no filter, the issue is my 8700 is supposedly giving high 600s lumens in THX mode, yet, apparently, the 5030 is as well in the high 600s lumens range.

so what is my benefit in upgrading from the 8700 to the 5030, i'm wondering?

initially, i thought that with the 4 years or so of advancements (from the introduction of the 8700 to the introduction of the 5030), significant brightness would be available. of course, i meant ACCURATE, significant brightness, i.e. THX mode.

sigh. this is so odd. how can one buy the 5030 and take it home and discover that it is no brighter in THX mode than the 8700? it boggles my mine.
In the kind of room where you would use THX mode, ie a batcave, you don't need the added lumens.

The real improvement, presumably, would be in black levels, color acccuracy and 3D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.