AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I just wanted to share something. I've been using the AVS Calibration Disk for many years as well as the 8700UB and the visual apex fixed screen.

I've moved in three different locations and have ran the calibration each time expecting different settings. I've kept all my equipment the same. I use the Theater Black Setting 2 on the Projector.

House 1) Master bedroom (14 x 13), walls were left white. Contrast -8, Brightness +3 using the calibration disk.

House 2) Bedroom (9.3' x 19), walls were painted dark flat colors. Contrast -8, Brightness +3 using the calibration disk.

House 3) Bedroom (9.6' x 16), walls were painted even darker (mouse ears on ceiling). Contrast -8, Brightness + 3 using the calibration disk.

Those settings are for a "used" lamp. A new lamp may vary just a hair. All rooms are 8' in height. 106" screen.

So far, I've learned that calibration doesn't seem to be that sensitive to walls, paints, etc. Does others find this to be true?

Even with Mouse ears on the ceiling (which is highly recommended for projection), you still get some glare on the ceiling. I get no glare on the walls. The Vapex screen has a gain of 1.1 I believe. Would I do better with a .8 or .9 gain screen? The room is 9' 8" wide, with only 3 theater seats wide, so viewing angle should be pretty small. I use the setup for gaming and movies. I do like the nice, big, vibrant image (it's gorgeous), but I'm wondering what more I can do to dial it in.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Black velvet is the only surface that will eliminate all glare. It doesn't surprise me that black/white calibration varies little by room condition since your adjusting the projectors brightness for best black without clipping and the same for contrast for white clipping and that's about all you can do with the AVS calibration disk. Their is more to true calibration from a professional that I suspect room color matters more. If your satisfied with light level then a .8 gray screen could help your black level but will hurt the whites. In a good room I would stick with a white 1 to 1.3 gain screen.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rek. I think that means that my screen is as good as it gets, and that further reducing glare is simply putting velvet on the ceiling. Putting the velvet on the ceiling would be a great way (and probably the cheapest way) to enhance contrast, I suspect.

Here's a picture of my setup. Very simple, very clean, and very awesome!

It is 100% light controlled. Zero light comes in.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Great room, nice and dark. One thing you could do to reduce glare from ceiling is to lower the screen a few inches to get it farther away. Here is a picture of my simple theater.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, thanks for sharing! Simple theaters are always the best as far as what you spend and what you get out of them!

I could indeed lower the screen 2-3 inches to reduce the glare from the ceiling. The only downfall to that is there will be more shadowing when walking/getting up from seating, but there would be shadowing anyways regardless.

The other reason I had it at that height is because it's easier for the rear row to see. But I recently found out after putting it together that I can fit three of my seats side-by-side, so there isn't a need for a rear row anymore.... at least currently :)

I'll look into lowering the screen a tad and find the right balance.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I relocated the screen mount, I simply just used lens shift to shoot the image 3" lower to see if it would reduce glare. It only helped about 3% with the ceiling glare, which is not enough to fuss with dropping the screen.

So I guess things are as optimum as they can be, and it looks great!

Eye level puts me about 20% of the screen. It could go a little lower, but there's not a real convincing reason to do it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts