AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relative newbie to calibration having only done a few simple displays (no CMS) and now a projector (w/CMS).

So I would appreciate any feedback from the pros or experienced calibrators on how I've done or any advice.... Esp. if you have calibrated Epson 8500 or 8700's.

After some trials and tribulations (including my Onyko pre-pro passing the wrong colorspace flag to my PJ!) I managed to arrive at this. Attached are my HCFR file and a CIE image from the most excellent spreadsheet by stereomandan.

The delta e's are pretty low with the exception of green and cyan (more on this below). Grayscale is pretty much dead nuts and gamma is pretty good with a little hump towards 2.3. This was a compromise.... wanted to make sure my floor was 2.2 and if it pushed up to 2.3 a bit then so be it.

Due to the work by stereomandan showing saturation problems with the 1080, I 1st wanted to verify if I has the same problem with the 8700... and indeed I do.

All that research and work is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16166537

I can easily set the primary and the 100% saturation points of green and cyan perfectly, however green and cyan's 25%,50%,75% saturation points were really undersaturated.... So I figured, as stereomandan did, I would rather have most of the colors nearly perfect than just the extremes toward the edge. So the CIE graph looks bad on the left side of the triangle but if set the 100%, everything else suffers.

So I calibrated off the 75% saturation color patterns using a spreadsheet.

Everything turned out pretty good except I had to fight with yellow... I couldn't seem to get the luminance right by cranking down the saturation (which also shifted hue) so after playing with it alot, I just decided to keep with my rule.... luminance 1st priority, saturation 2nd - made the best compromise I could. Which means luminance is more accurate than saturation.

So the attached file is a final run, i.e. I ran everything here at the end when I was done fooling with it.

Thanks...

THXFinalCIE.pdf 334.560546875k . file

THXFinalCal.zip 4.5234375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dude, very nice. The only thing I would have mentioned was the yellow, but if you've fought with it I'd leave it be. You're only going to notice that small a difference on the graph anyway, not watching content. You're dialed in!

I just picked up an 8700ub myself; going to calibrate it soon. If I might ask some questions? Size and type of screen? Basic control settings? (Brightness, contrast, Saturation & tint.) Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak /forum/post/19627648

Dude, very nice. The only thing I would have mentioned was the yellow, but if you've fought with it I'd leave it be. You're only going to notice that small a difference on the graph anyway, not watching content. You're dialed in!

I just picked up an 8700ub myself; going to calibrate it soon. If I might ask some questions? Size and type of screen? Basic control settings? (Brightness, contrast, Saturation & tint.) Thanks!

110" carada Brilliant white screen.

I could tell you my basic settings but they would almost certainly be worthless to you.....

My advice on setting contrast is this.... Using the avs rec709 disc set the contrast as bright as you can until 244 is the only bar blinking. Then set your grayscale.... using IRE 20 and 80.

Oh, and do not calibrate using 100% saturation patterns. Use the 75%, this is pretty much required for the Epson projectors.

After that is set... check your IRE 100. You may find it has run out of red, lower your contrast until you get about 100% RGB across the board @ 100 IRE. Then re check your 20 and 80 IRE. Adjust as necessary.

Not sure if this is the best way to do it but it is what I did.

And if you calibrate with around 100 hours on the bulb... plan on redoing it @ 400 hours. It changes that much!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I use Stereomandan's spread sheet. I was actually mostly wondering eco or normal and how many hours. My 8700 is SO much brighter than my 8100 was... I've actually turned the contrast down a fair bit to drop the lumens on normal. I'm getting over 13 footlamberts semi-calibrated THX with a 144" screen, which is just amazing me. If I go up a few steps with contrast I get over 14. Silver Fire 2.0 so it's a light gray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts