AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not so sure if it was already officially posted, but anyway I read this from a german site

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2004/2004...Epson_D5.shtml

Quote:
Epson hat nach eigenen Angaben die Entwicklung der neuen "D5"-LCD-Panel-Generation abgeschlossen und plant den Beginn der Massenproduktion im Mai 2005. Für Entwickler sollen erste Produktions-Samples noch im Oktober verfügbar sein. Die neuen LCD-Panels bieten eine native HDTV-Auflösung von 1920 x 1080 Pixeln. Damit könnten bereits im kommenden Jahr LCD-Rückprojektionsfernseher und LCD-Videoprojektoren mit echter HDTV-Auflösung in den Handel kommen.
which means:

The new D5 panels from Epson will start mass production this May 2005. Samples will be made available this october. These new D5 panels will have a native res of 1920x1080 pixels.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmm... the more I read about these D5 panels the more it makes sense to wait for projectors based on them (to upgrade from my current excellent Sanyo Z2.)

I was considering upgrading to a Panny 700 or a Z3, but they're basically enhancements of the prior models and have the SAME Epson panels.

Now a D5 based machine might be an actual real upgrade.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It might make sense to wait for 720p D5 if you have a projector but expect to pay for 1080p D5 projectors. They will initally be sold at a high price since they will produce a great picture.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Will projectors that use the D5 panels be sold for roughly the same price as current gen D4 based products (ie Z3, AE700, etc.)? Or will there be a price hike associated with this resolution?

reap

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good point.

Although, look at the price difference between 720p LCD PJs and DLP PJs. There's (still) a big difference.

I wonder how much the premium will be for 1080p. I suppose it will be driven by the market more than the tech.

And if the market has any say... 1080p will be an incredibly in-demand product; especially if it is not priced too high.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It was mentioned in the >$3.5K forum that the new 1080p Fujitsu shown at CEDIA uses the new D5 Epson... it sells for $22K! Hopefully when they are full production and Panny and Sanyo get their hands on them they'll come down quickly... However, my guess is they won't be under $5K for at least a year or more.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The Fujitsu does not use the D5 panels. They were not even available in engineering quantities at the time of CEDIA. The Fujitsu must be using the same panels as the big 80K Sanyo 1080P projector. The D5 panels are smaller and should be substantially less expensive. Having said that I would expect next years D5 projector pricing to be 2-5K for 720P projectors, and 7-10K for 1080P projectors. This is just a guess and I would not be surprised to see a manufacturer like Sanyo or Panasonic offer a 1080P projector at the 5K price point to steal significant market share.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by controller2k
Hmm... the more I read about these D5 panels the more it makes sense to wait for projectors based on them (to upgrade from my current excellent Sanyo Z2.)

I was considering upgrading to a Panny 700 or a Z3, but they're basically enhancements of the prior models and have the SAME Epson panels.

Now a D5 based machine might be an actual real upgrade.
We are so on the same wavelength its almost creepy........

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
This was in HDTV Magazine:

Seiko Epson has announced the completed development

of its D5 series of true-HD-ready high-temperature polysilicon (HTPS) TFT liquid crystal panels for 3LCD-type front-projectors and large-screen HDTV LCD projection televisions for the home. Epson will start shipping development samples of the new panels in October 2004 and plans to begin shipping the panels in production quantities in May 2005.

Epson sought to enhance brightness by increasing the aperture ratio and also to maximize contrast and resolution. Responding to demands from the consumer market for even better picture quality and lower prices, Epson announced in June that it had developed its first panel in the D5 series: a 0.7-inch, 720p model. Now joining the D5 series lineup is a 0.9-inch, 1080p model designed for true-HDTV systems. This latest addition to the lineup will allow users to enjoy true-HDTV picture quality on projection systems employing the 3LCD design, which uses three HTPS panels.

Details about the technology used in the new D5 series will be presented at FPD International 2004, which will be held at the Pacifico Yokohama convention center from October 20 - 22.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
The Fujitsu does not use the D5 panels. They were not even available in engineering quantities at the time of CEDIA. The Fujitsu must be using the same panels as the big 80K Sanyo 1080P projector. The D5 panels are smaller and should be substantially less expensive. Having said that I would expect next years D5 projector pricing to be 2-5K for 720P projectors, and 7-10K for 1080P projectors. This is just a guess and I would not be surprised to see a manufacturer like Sanyo or Panasonic offer a 1080P projector at the 5K price point to steal significant market share.
Actually I posted this in another thread about the possibility of te 1080p units arriving around the same price point. I pointed out that the 720p AE500 was released exactly one year after the 540p AE300, and actually costed $500 LESS.

But I see your point, in that, manufacturers could potentially make more money if they would offer two models. One affordable 720p and another high end 1080p model to their line up. Priced respectively of course. I also agree prices won't be around $25,000 for the 1080p. More like $4k-5k.

I guess for those who currenly own a 720p D4 unit may as well wait another year before upgrading, unless they got a buyer for their current unit and don't mind spending that extra cash now.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I do not think a D5/1080 product will be seen in the Po'Folks forum before 2010. But, Epson can always prove me wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
.....And i wonder whether or not Seiko-Epson has developed an improved "inorganic" layer for this new iteration of LCD panels as opposed to the "organic" layer applied to all current LCD panels, which, as we are all very much aware of, is prone to eventual degradation due to heat/light generated by the projector's light-bulb, specifically to the LCD panel employed to reproduce the blue primary.....I still don't understand why manufacturers of LCD panels are still using an "organic" layer on their LCD panels after all the problems reported over the years caused by its usage.

I am firmly convinced that, were Panasonic/Sanyo/Epson/Sony to introduce a 3-panel LCD FP with the highest HD resolution of 1920x1080 pixels using an enclosed optical path, a honest to goodness peak-contrast of at least 2.500:1, measured on-screen brightness of at least 800 lumens, employing a light-bulb with an estimated lifespan of at least 10.000 hours at a list price between $5.000 to $7.000 - and advertised it accordingly - they would be selling them by the truckload as well as wiping out all competitors in that price range and well above it !!!

......Oh well, one can only dream and hope that the powers that be are out there listening to us poor suckers, oops, consumers......

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Yeah, but could they manufacture appreciate numbers to handle the demand? And why would they sell cheap when the competition is selling that resolution for five digits?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFerret
Yeah, but could they manufacture appreciate numbers to handle the demand? And why would they sell cheap when the competition is selling that resolution for five digits?
Agreed.

I think Epson will try to recoup theri upfront development costs on the 1080p D5 panels, charging a premium for the first year or more. They may also charge a premium on the 720p D5's for an initial time period, too, in order to quickly recoup their costs. But this is just a guess.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can someone explain if the production costs going from 720P D4 panels to 1080P D5 panels are significantly higher than going from 540P D3 panels to 720P D4 panels? Some people are predicting a large price increase...however, historically this hasn't been true...is there any reason for a huge price increase other than the fact that current 1080P is hugely expensive? Was development cost really high for some reason?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"I'd love a 5-10k 1080p LCD next year."

I haven't any doubt this will happen. The 720p models are less than half that today, the 1080p models can be identical (practically) except for the chips. Even if the chip differential is $600 (and it won't be) the chance of the Z3 / AE700 / HS51 / TX100 (Hitachi model, I may have the # wrong)-class projectors coming in 1080p variants for that price is nearly certain.

It makes me personally think AE700 for this year rather than HS51 just because depreciation will be lower. :)

Mark

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You can find the Epson press release here.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Mark,

well I hope you are right because if in a year's time I have a 1080p pj in my HT for 5-10K I will be one giddy guy.:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.