AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I just received a refurb unit from Epson (4030), does this look normal? Most of this is not visible when not focusing on the dirt, but I can still see some of them during dark scenes:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unacceptable, send it back now. Good thing about Epson is if you have any warranty, they will send you out a new refirb tomorrow. With a shipping sticker to send that one back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unacceptable, send it back now. Good thing about Epson is if you have any warranty, they will send you out a new refirb tomorrow. With a shipping sticker to send that one back.
Called them today, the tech department said since I bought is less than 30 days, should contact sales.

After being on hold forever, they came back and said there is no stock and I'm out of luck. Should keep calling every week to try my luck. Weird :eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow! I was considering purchasing a 4030 too. I was gonna do 4k but decided to wait. Miss my Sony 55es. Thought the Epson was a great deal though. Aren't they checked before sending them out?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Holy Batman! There's no way that was refurbished unless it was seriously damaged in transit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the Epson "secret" menu, the 4030 has about 1800 hours on it with a brand new lamp, and was only turned on/off 3 times, so it feels like it was a demo projector running on some showroom, 24x7?

From the amount of dust, they either forgot to put a filter, or it was a crazy dusty environment.

I contacted Epson tech support again, and they agreed to send me another refurb, since sales is out of stock, but I'm a bit worried about new issues (convergence, noisy iris, more blobs, etc), so I asked them how much they check them before sending them out, hopefully I get something decent without having to try my luck again!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just reviving this old thread as I was seeing so much mention recently on folks reporting dust blobs especially on the (so called) refurbished 5040 thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a.html
....of course dust blobs are not new, been around for years, been reported on basically every model and not specifically prone to Epsons and no easy solution short of dissembling the whole projector to clean the panels.

Anyway just discovered a soft ball sized one (128" screen), relatively very faint blue fuzz ball while watching credits on my, new not refurbished, Cinema Pro 4030 I picked up from Epson in February which I've only put 328 total operating hours on so far.

Questions though
.....how anal should one be?
.....do these things move around or remain stationary, mine's almost dead center?
.....do they get worse over time?
.....if under warranty (I've almost 3 years remaining) does one ask to have the unit exchanged and hope the refurbished unit is problem free?

So it's a tough decision...live with a very faint (for now) dust blob (so far not noticeable while watching content) or take a chance on the getting it replaced (if they have stock) with probably an older refurbished unit (Pro Cinema 4030s were available 2013-2017) that could have a dozen or so other problems....and there is no way of ever guaranteeing that the next unit doesn't also become victim of errant dust.:(

I was eyeing the refurbished 5040 but this 4030 IMHO does has excellent color and convergence, pretty good sharpness and uniformity and totally acceptable black levels, overall a pretty good performer so really no logical reason to move up unless I really want 4K.... but for me,realistically, that's probably still a few years down the road . :rolleyes:

My gut instinct tells me to learn to ignore that fuzzy blob and appreciative the unit I have. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just a follow up to my post above but may be of interest to those that discovered some dust balls......

Thought I read or heard a rumor of users putting their Epson fans on high speed, high altitude....either way, thought what was there to lose so gave it a try, sure enough after 15-20 minutes I then played some segments of where the dust balls were most obvious, blank, all dark scenes and white on black end credits .... and damn it if those pesky blue green, soft ball sized annoyances, which were almost dead center......appeared to have left the building. :confused:

Mind you if I look extremely hard, I do mean extremely hard there still appears to be a very slight, almost imperceptible residue of where the dust balls were residing, like a a very faint water mark and probably impossible for anyone else to find :rolleyes:.....I'm sure this is not a solution for everyone who has discovered the pesky little guys in their light path... but saved me playing refurb roulette on an otherwise perfectly working machine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just reviving this old thread as I was seeing so much mention recently on folks reporting dust blobs especially on the (so called) refurbished 5040 thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a.html
....of course dust blobs are not new, been around for years, been reported on basically every model and not specifically prone to Epsons and no easy solution short of dissembling the whole projector to clean the panels.

Anyway just discovered a soft ball sized one (128" screen), relatively very faint blue fuzz ball while watching credits on my, new not refurbished, Cinema Pro 4030 I picked up from Epson in February which I've only put 328 total operating hours on so far.

Questions though
.....how anal should one be?
.....do these things move around or remain stationary, mine's almost dead center?
.....do they get worse over time?
.....if under warranty (I've almost 3 years remaining) does one ask to have the unit exchanged and hope the refurbished unit is problem free?

So it's a tough decision...live with a very faint (for now) dust blob (so far not noticeable while watching content) or take a chance on the getting it replaced (if they have stock) with probably an older refurbished unit (Pro Cinema 4030s were available 2013-2017) that could have a dozen or so other problems....and there is no way of ever guaranteeing that the next unit doesn't also become victim of errant dust.:(

I was eyeing the refurbished 5040 but this 4030 IMHO does has excellent color and convergence, pretty good sharpness and uniformity and totally acceptable black levels, overall a pretty good performer so really no logical reason to move up unless I really want 4K.... but for me,realistically, that's probably still a few years down the road . :rolleyes:

My gut instinct tells me to learn to ignore that fuzzy blob and appreciative the unit I have. :cool:
Just a follow up to my post above but may be of interest to those that discovered some dust balls......

Thought I read or heard a rumor of users putting their Epson fans on high speed, high altitude....either way, thought what was there to lose so gave it a try, sure enough after 15-20 minutes I then played some segments of where the dust balls were most obvious, blank, all dark scenes and white on black end credits .... and damn it if those pesky blue green, soft ball sized annoyances, which were almost dead center......appeared to have left the building. :confused:

Mind you if I look extremely hard, I do mean extremely hard there still appears to be a very slight, almost imperceptible residue of where the dust balls were residing, like a a very faint water mark and probably impossible for anyone else to find :rolleyes:.....I'm sure this is not a solution for everyone who has discovered the pesky little guys in their light path... but saved me playing refurb roulette on an otherwise perfectly working machine.
I'm in a similar boat with my 5040, except I have 6-7 of these fuzzy, soft ball sized blobs that are very hard to see. My unit looks brand new, so I'm not sure if I want to play the Epson lottery to exchange it. Did you end up keeping your projector?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with my 5040, except I have 6-7 of these fuzzy, soft ball sized blobs that are very hard to see. My unit looks brand new, so I'm not sure if I want to play the Epson lottery to exchange it. Did you end up keeping your projector?

Yep still have my original projector....keep in mind that mine was new without any aberrations and the dust blobs appeared after time....If I happened to receive one which already had dust blobs, then it might be a different story ....but it's always a crap-shoot with and exchange.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yep still have my original projector....keep in mind that mine was new without any aberrations and the dust blobs appeared after time....If I happened to receive one which already had dust blobs, then it might be a different story ....but it's always a crap-shoot with and exchange.
I'm going to put my project onto high power and high altitude mode for a while. If the dust blobs are still there in a week, maybe I'll take the chance with an exchange :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts