AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was all set to just get the w1070, but now I have the opportunity to get a brand new Epson HC 3500 for the same price as a used Epson 5020UB and, as I think it's worth the extra money, I'd love any input anyone has to help make this decision.

First off, about the set up : Ceiling mounted (14 foot ceilings), projecting onto a 120" Vutec screen, ambient light present during the day, but majority of watching will be at night. That being said, won't always have all lights off unless I'm in theater mode... so let's say ambient light 60% of the time.

My thoughts -

on the 5020: I've never seen a 5020UB in person, but I have spent some time with the 5030 (out of my budget) and it is gorgeous and can hold its own in a room with some ambient light so can the 5020 be that far off? The 5020 comes with low hours and is coming from a friend of a friend's family - good family people who took good care of it and are moving to a house that won't facilitate a projector set-up.

on the 3500: I've never seen a 3500 in person, but have heard great things about the brightness, but am wondering at what cost that comes as far as blackness levels/color accuracy (at least as compared to the 5020)? It should also be mentioned that I have ZERO interest in 3D so the brightness benefits of that will find themselves being explored about .09% of the time.

Also, random question, but I live in Brooklyn and rent my apt. It is an industrial loft building and I don't want to run cable through the age old factory walls and tin ceilings.. does anyone have any experience in using wireless HDMI in an NYC setting? I worry greatly - though it'd be a 20-25' clear sightline from unit to receiver - about all the interference.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP. I've been a long time reader, but rarely post. Can't wait to get pictures of the setup up once all is in order.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I live in a brooklyn loft as well. Maybe we're neighbors?

You should probably post some pictures of your room. The 5020 and the 3500 are very different projectors that are built for different room environments.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The 5020 will give better picture quality even in its brighter modes compared to the others best modes. Living room mode is a good mode for the 5020 but the same mode on the 3500 is about 50% brighter. I would avoid dynamic mode on either projector. The 1070's brightness is between the 5020 and 3500. Ambient light is not a big problem if it is not directed toward the screen. If you have directional lighting like can lights or track lights you can have a decent amount of ambient light and not affect picture quality too much if they are not aimed towards the screen. Reflections off the walls will wash the picture a little if the walls and ceiling are not dark colored but the picture should still be decent and I would go ith the 5020. If the lighting is not well controlled then the extra lumens of the 3500 would be the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts