AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does the picture in picture feature on this projector allow you to project the same size image with each of the sources being projected? Most of them only allow for one small box up in the corner and the other image is much larger. This could be a great football/basketball season projector if you can adjust the size of both images to match.
I'm sorry, didn´t test this feature.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do both the 3100 and 3700 have PiP?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Most both be HDMI sources I think. That's what I like though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most both be HDMI sources I think. That's what I like though.
I get it - it is the only thing they could do. But, from a practical perspective - it is pointless as in home theater setup projector gets a single feed from a receiver that has multiple inputs. So what is the point for PIP across HDMI inputs on a projector that got a single 25ft HDMI cord from a receiver? That means receiver should do pip from its sources.. Or do they think I need to put 2 or 3 cords into the ceiling to feed all sources directly into projector? It is ridiculous.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I have a NUC mounted on my PJ, so two HDMI is perfect for my uses.
If you ran an analog source, you'd need another line anyways as well.

I've found that you can run many flat lines together and they look just like one line on the wall. It's just a pain to get them lined up and tied in place perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I did not test the FI, but i think its smooth, even without it.
On eco mode its a very silent projector. For is brightness, i think a 120 inch screen its the ideal.
3d its very bright. Tested with samsung and Panasonic RF glasses.
For anyone who do not have a dedicated room, its a fantastic choice.
The black level with the iris its better than the Mitsubishi, and i think it is better than any sub 1500 Dollars projector.
On Tv programs, its like having a big TV. Very Sharp and Bright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3CJM6jXvsQ
Do the 3D glasses from Panasonic plasmas work?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What's a good brand of glasses that actually block out light from the side
Tried the samsungs and the light that gets in from the side is very distracting and makes me have to focus very hard on the screen

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
So the difference between the 3100 and 3700 is 3,000 lumens/70,000:1 contrast vs 2,600 lumens/60,000:1 contrast? In other words, slightly brighter? Any other difference besides speakers for the 3700?

·
Registered
305 Posts
So the difference between the 3100 and 3700 is 3,000 lumens/70,000:1 contrast vs 2,600 lumens/60,000:1 contrast? In other words, slightly brighter? Any other difference besides speakers for the 3700?
For 3d image to pop you need all lumens one can get. So it escapes me what was the idea to price 3100 just $200 below a model with speakers and 400 more lumens. But, no one reviewed those models yet and no one measured their real output in medium lamp cinema mode, for an example.
On a practical side - 3700 is in stock at B&H and 3100 is not. My 3700 will be here today - i ordered it week ago, then cancelled, then ordered again. :) i am still not sure if i will keep it but i am just curious to compare it to my 2040.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 3d is night and day compared to my BenQ
I can watch it comfortably on medium lamp mode without any adjustments on my grey wall.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So, i have received my 3700. I ran it side by side with 2040 and conclusions are, well, inconclusive to some level but quite expected.

It is indeed a light cannon and it is nice. I am very glad i got this 3700 and not 3100. I really would like to look at 3900 eventually but probably will stop wasting money now.
So, first and foremost - this is a loud projector as well. Its ECO mode is almost silent, it is probably twice quieter than a 2040 but not nearly as silent as expensive Sony or JVC. Even in ECO mode - you can hear it but it is no longer at the level of annoyance like 2040 when i would watch TV late at night at low volume.

High mode, as expected, is still a jet engine. It has a bit of a lower tone than 2040 but still a jet and imho same or lowder than 2040 high mode noise - not OK at all.
Medium mode of 3700 is not as loud as high mode of 2040, it is lower pitch so does not annoy as much but noticable, as projector is mounted right above my seating place. If I would buy this projector initialy i would probably used 35ft cords and moved it to the end of the room as 3000 lumens is a lot.

So, now good parts. Been a light cannon you do not need anything other than ECO mode for 2D pictures. It is as bright as a TV in ECO mode. Black levels are definitely not Sony level but very decent dark, 2040 would make screen definitely greyish tint, this one is i would say almost exactly in the middle in between 2040 black level and area with no light. As i do not have walls painted black it works. So, i would say, black levels are adequate but could have been better.

Now, best part. Optics of this device is on the different level from 2040. Screen is perfectly sharp corner to corner and focus gives almost perfect perceived contrast. LCD panel adjustment is a deal braker - after 10 min of doing that process i got image i wanted and could not get from 2040, ever. Again, i speak about perception - it is perceived much sharper and has much better local contrast, no greyish content in lines.

So, working mode for now is set to cinema ECO mode and for 3D it is medium lamp. 3D on medium 3700 lamp is twice brighter at least compared to 2040.

If it is worth 2x price of a 2040 - i am not sure at all. Most of differences are at the level that i am sure my wife or kids would not even notice. interpolation, fine processing, all settings seem to work same but a little bit better and menu got additional adjustments and levers to pull. I would not be very surprised to find out eventually that 2040 got same processor board with same exact code and just turned off features. go figure.

But, lens is indeed of a different class. if you move your nose 2ft away from a 100" screen - you do see it as clear as a day. Go back to a seating position 12" away from the screen, and, well, you know.
Vertical and horizontal lens shift is nice, very nice. Only problem - i already spent half a day finding exact location to drill into the ceiling to hang old projector in a dead optical center of the screen.

So, i would say, for $1500 from B&H - if it not your last money, it gives you a very good if not best i saw to the date 3D projector. As 3D content is almost exclusively the stuff we watch with kids - 3700 stays.
If all you want is 2D content - i would not be so sure. black levels are decent, better than on $650 2040, but are they $900 better? I seriously doubt it. But, next device to top 3700 would be Sony 45ES and this is an another $500 on top of a 3700 price, so, decide for yourself.

Device came with very well set colors in all modes. Slider to set skin tones is very useful, again, definitely a feature artificially taken away from the 2040 menu. Overall i am pleased and if wife will not find out :) - i intend to keep this one. Need to sell 2040 now.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Did you notice an ghosting with 3D content.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you notice an ghosting with 3D content.
3d on both 2040 and 3700 is good. As 3700 is way brighter - 3d image gets much more 'pop' and overall looks way better.

We're watching narnia now with kids :) - well, i can tell now it was worth extra $. Extra lumens do the work and black level is not perceived grey at all. I am glad i got it, it is a good upgrade.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Do you have Happy Feet 2 in 3D? This will show if the 3700 has problems with ghosting or crosstalk.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found the blacks to be very grey :(
In the opening scene of star wars where the text rolls down it was almost completely grey.
I've had to turn the brightness all the way down at the expense of shadows :(

21 - 40 of 917 Posts