AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found the blacks to be very grey :(
In the opening scene of star wars where the text rolls down it was almost completely grey.
I've had to turn the brightness all the way down at the expense of shadows :(
Eco mode, Cinema, auto iris on - it is OK. What you can do also - try moving projector further away, to the limit of zoom and see if that helps. i am using 1.1 gain white screen, so it not perceived as grey. But, well, next price mark for really good black levels is at $3k. It is a vicious loop, to chase the perfection.
But, if you got it from B&H - they will honor 30 day return.

·
Registered
67 Posts
crosstalk is usually an issue with glasses, not a projector, nevertheless, i do not have that issue with my setup.
I saw slight crosstalk in the Tangled lantern scene, but setting the correct screen size and changing the depth setting to 1 resolved most of it.
Still some there but i only notice if i really look for it.
The only time i see a big problem is in that same scene where the lanterns come out at you, then i can sort of see a shadow of them, apart from that though changing the settings has made it near perfect and completely perfect if you don't go out of your way to look for it

·
Registered
305 Posts
I saw slight crosstalk in the Tangled lantern scene, but setting the correct screen size and changing the depth setting to 1 resolved most of it.
Still some there but i only notice if i really look for it.
The only time i see a big problem is in that same scene where the lanterns come out at you, then i can sort of see a shadow of them, apart from that though changing the settings has made it near perfect and completely perfect if you don't go out of your way to look for it
i just sat and watched samples from my disks and files, and adjusted 3D. So, i have 100" screen and i see best effect when i set depth to '3' and screen size to '190' - I just like images to pop. :) Ghosting i saw a bit in same scenes you mentioned - when objects fly to the max, like bubbles in the end of a "despicable me 2", but overall it is pretty good.
setting screen to real size and depth to 1 indeed removes any sign of issue but image gets a bit too flat this way. anyway, it is good to have flexibility.

i think you should try ditching your grey screen - try out any decent white screen and i bet results will be better. get any of fixed elite screens from amazon that in $200-$220 range - you can always return it back in same packaging for free if you will not like it. i think it will actually improve perceived contrast compared to grey screen you have. i also justran starting scene of star wars IV, image is definitely not grey but iris opens a bit. if i switch from eco to medium mode it looks worse. if you use grey screen with medium lamp setting it may be the reason.

PS. btw, just to confirm - in your 3700 package, did you get 3D glasses or not? mine did not have it and it is quite odd as old 3500 was shipping with glasses. 3700 only had a printed small manual and a remote in the box.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i just sat and watched samples from my disks and files, and adjusted 3D. So, i have 100" screen and i see best effect when i set depth to '3' and screen size to '190' - I just like images to pop. :) Ghosting i saw a bit in same scenes you mentioned - when objects fly to the max, like bubbles in the end of a "despicable me 2", but overall it is pretty good.
setting screen to real size and depth to 1 indeed removes any sign of issue but image gets a bit too flat this way. anyway, it is good to have flexibility.

i think you should try ditching your grey screen - try out any decent white screen and i bet results will be better. get any of fixed elite screens from amazon that in $200-$220 range - you can always return it back in same packaging for free if you will not like it. i think it will actually improve perceived contrast compared to grey screen you have. i also justran starting scene of star wars IV, image is definitely not grey but iris opens a bit. if i switch from eco to medium mode it looks worse. if you use grey screen with medium lamp setting it may be the reason.

PS. btw, just to confirm - in your 3700 package, did you get 3D glasses or not? mine did not have it and it is quite odd as old 3500 was shipping with glasses. 3700 only had a printed small manual and a remote in the box.
Mine didn't have any with it, although mine is the tw6700 (Europe) :)
I'm afraid my walls are magnolia so a white screen causes too much ambient light and washes out the entire picture.
What i did was cover the entire wall around the screen area in velvet + some of the side walls and ceiling.
This worked for my benq but this one is sooooo much brighter it's reversing the effects :/
Anything else I could do to improve things? force awakens opening scens is very grey on cinema default for me.
Painting the room is not an option as it's rented.
Will definitely try your settings for 3d when i get home.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine didn't have any with it, although mine is the tw6700 (Europe) :)
I'm afraid my walls are magnolia so a white screen causes too much ambient light and washes out the entire picture.
What i did was cover the entire wall around the screen area in velvet + some of the side walls and ceiling.
This worked for my benq but this one is sooooo much brighter it's reversing the effects :/
Anything else I could do to improve things? force awakens opening scens is very grey on cinema default for me.
Painting the room is not an option as it's rented.
Will definitely try your settings for 3d when i get home.
If you have a simple white bedding sheet - try it first to see what it will do. again, the trick is not the actual contrast but a perceived one and a brighter light reflected from white screen actually helps. running this light cannon in eco mode for 2D also helps a lot.
before i settled on a screen color i tried my photo backdrops - i have both white and neutral grey ones, and i did not like at all how image looks on the grey base. some people praise it, but, i am just not sold at all.

other than that - well, there is no gimmicks, next price point would be $2k for sony 45es but it is just a marginal step up and imho $2k for a 1080p device today is a foolish move, 5040 is a real step up and then JVC units, but it is even more money. i would try a white screen first with a nd2 filter, may be. again, my grief with 5040 is its size, look at your 3700 and visualize a box nearly 2 times bigger on your ceiling. it is beyond my comprehension why epson chose such a form factor for 5040 and why they could not pack it all into the same body 3700 uses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was going to go for one of the higher end models but due to the limited chipset it has i decided against it.
I game on the xbox and the PS4 both of which are getting HDR games and neither of which would be supported on that projector.
If i was going to spend that kind of money on a projector I would want it to do all that I need, hence this projector as a compromise until a better 4k model comes out hopefully next year :)

It's just the blacks that really disappointed me, ill try hold a white sheet over the black areas tonight and see what they do :)

Maybe a filter is on order, would really like to fix the 2d image as the 3d is spectacular in terms of brightness and colour and i don't think i could go back to a dimmer one :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's just the blacks that really disappointed me, ill try hold a white sheet over the black areas tonight and see what they do :)

Maybe a filter is on order, would really like to fix the 2d image as the 3d is spectacular in terms of brightness and colour and i don't think i could go back to a dimmer one :p
Holding a white patch against black area will not help much as an effect here is not an actual contrast but a perceived one by your brain when you see difference between brightest and dimmest point of the screen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Holding a white patch against black area will not help much as an effect here is not an actual contrast but a perceived one by your brain when you see difference between brightest and dimmest point of the screen.
Wouldn't the white screen brighten up the image and wash it out more?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wouldn't the white screen brighten up the image and wash it out more?
It depends upon several factors, really. It will be washed out if you have any kind of a direct ambient light, windows or lights - does not matter. When kids turn on local lights to help to see snacks better :) image does suffer indeed.
If you turn off all lights, with just a reflected light I personally prefer white screen by far. Some may not agree, it really is a matter of a personal choice and depends upon room setup a lot. But i think it is a first thing to try before returning back projector and shelling out $500-$1000 more on the different unit.

I am in the same boat, really, There are certain benefits i like about this model, lens is great, sharpness is great, colors OK, black levels adequate... Lowest grade cheap projectors really gained a lot this year compared to mid-range units. Only real benefit i get from this unit compared to 2040 is way, way more light in the medium lamp mode for 3D that really popped up image big time with still a more or less tolerable fan noise. All convenience features I would not care less about. Meh. May be it would be better to get 5040 and deal with its size somehow. Not sure. I still more like it than dislike it, compared to what i had. Yesterday`s movie experience was really good, in 2D. Noticeably better than old one with 2040.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I found the blacks to be very grey :(
In the opening scene of star wars where the text rolls down it was almost completely grey.
I've had to turn the brightness all the way down at the expense of shadows :(
Hello, i have my Epson TW6700 for about two weeks.
I did improved the black level very much with these basic settings:

Color: Natural
Eco mode
Gamma: 0
Deinterlacing - OFF
Epson super white - ON
Frame interpolation - Off or Min
Color Temp: 6500K
Skin Tone: 2
IRIS: High Speed

I have a 92" 1.0 gain pull down budget screen.
I will wait for any calibration settings from reviews, but i am very happy with the actual picture quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does super white not completely crush shadows?
I do not want to retype it all again - here it is.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2089978-offical-epson-2040-thread-46.html#post47101641

i looked at my 3700 and it requires very little alterations. also, its color adjustments are not working as on 2040 - they should be done via RGBCMYK menu under advanced, and it only needs to reduce green brightness a bit, down to 46-48 from 50 to make colors equal.

i also just tried nd2 filter and it works very well in 2D mode but i absolutely did not like again an effect in 3D mode, and with this projector it is not very convenient to put it on and off.

super white alters curve of contrast, low brightness for dark areas actually should not be involved. anyway, after super white is engaged you need to run basic black clipping and white clipping files as described in the link above end adjust brightness and contrast. skipping forward - i tried both ways now with 3700 and definitely prefer this super white to be OFF, not engaged. on 2040 it was opposite.

So, by now i tuned 2 modes - dynamic and cinema, did not like much natural and bright cinema. Dynamic mode is now color perfect on my device. The difference i observe between dynamic and cinema modes mostly applies to the aggressiveness of an auto iris, in cinema mode it darkens picture much more than in dynamic. color saturatuion and contrast can be tuned to be very close, but it still a bit darker and i thik it has less shadow details even after tune-up with calibration files, curves are just different.

ND2 filter works best in the dynamic mode, you can try it - you may like the effect it produces. Best black levels possible will be in cinema with nd2 filter, but highlights will suffer more.
I looked many times at star wars start screen - it is not grayish on my device, in any mode, never, IF auto iris is engaged. lucasfilm logo in the very beginning is almost perfectly against deep black as iris goes all the way closed.

As i quite recently did same exercise with 2040 - i can definitely say 3700 produces way less light in dark areas compared to 2040, significantly less. I can see the effect from nd2 filter on black bars below wide screen movie area but it is quite subtle, yet makes some difference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does super white not completely crush shadows?
Not in my case, super white ON is recommended by reviewers on epson models like the 3500.
Gamma -1and -2, with iris on, will crush shadow detail, but not with gamma at 0.
I disagree with utkinpol, natural mode always give the most accurate picture for the lastet Epson projectors.
But that just my opinion.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Seems like they put more into the lens and features and took out the glasses to keep pricing the same.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seems like they put more into the lens and features and took out the glasses to keep pricing the same.
Do you need the Epson glasses?
from what I read they refresh at 480hz, can't find a comparative pair that lists the same refresh.
I use pnasonic glasses.
https://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-ty-er3d4mu/review/
I got them for $11 apiece, 5 pairs after i tried other inexpensive ones.
They are 120hz refresh. No clue if 480hz are better or not. I looked up some old threads but did not find much useful.

For filter - just use black electrical tape on sides, 52mm fits right in the center

41 - 60 of 917 Posts