AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use pnasonic glasses.
https://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-ty-er3d4mu/review/
I got them for $11 apiece, 5 pairs after i tried other inexpensive ones.
They are 120hz refresh. No clue if 480hz are better or not. I looked up some old threads but did not find much useful.

For filter - just use black electrical tape on sides, 52mm fits right in the center
Seem to be harder to get hold of here in the UK :p
I canf ind the 55mm on amazon for 15.68
52 seems to ship from somewhere far and not sure i trust it :p

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I walked around during lunch break.
The only one i found didn't have any glass ones, just plastic

Might get this just to see if it makes a difference for me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-HMC-NDx2-Screw--Filter/dp/B0000AI1GT/ref=sr_1_7?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1476362184&sr=8-7&keywords=hoya++ndx2
I got more or less OK results with ND2 filter, dynamic mode, brightness 49, contrast 70, super white ON, gamma 1, color saturation 55.
Downside - a bit of a loss in shadow detail, even with gamma 1. Not sure if i like it much, but it definitely helps with black levels.

What i also noticed - in black scenes when iris closes down all the way there is quite some light leak from the front fan grill. Quite annoying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got more or less OK results with ND2 filter, dynamic mode, brightness 49, contrast 70, super white ON, gamma 1, color saturation 55.
Downside - a bit of a loss in shadow detail, even with gamma 1. Not sure if i like it much, but it definitely helps with black levels.

What i also noticed - in black scenes when iris closes down all the way there is quite some light leak from the front fan grill. Quite annoying.
I'm hoping it will tame the brightness just a bit, help lessen the light being reflected off my walls by dimming the image

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do any of you guys have focus uniformity issues?
I'm using it close to the end of it's vertical lens shift and i find i can either have the top sharper than the bottom or the other way

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do any of you guys have focus uniformity issues?
I'm using it close to the end of it's vertical lens shift and i find i can either have the top sharper than the bottom or the other way
I am about of 1/3 of a vertical shift and a notch off dead center of a horizontal shift.
I have inspected sharpness down to slightest detail as i ran custom alignment of panels - it is 100% absolutely sharp from one corner to the other - that was one of top reasons i did not send it back to B&H - with 2040 i had 2 opposite corners sharp - top right and lower left and other 2 corners slightly out of focus - a definite lens issue.
this one is dead on across whole plane. color uniformity is great and focus is great on my sample. black levels are also actually quite good, i finally found where i was getting reflections from - i have 3 big monitors from my office space close to the screen and they were doing that.

i can only suggest to try checking again if you shoot exactly perpendicular - meaning lens optical line going into the wall at the perfect right angle, other than that - not sure what else to do, try to move projector a bit may be to avoid pushing lens shift to the extreme.

i think it is either your projector or the wall that is not perfectly aligned if you have top and bottom not in the same optical plane. try to use bubble level or wiggle projector a bit in the mount to see if it is horizontal or make its nose go a bit higher to shift optical plane.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
A decent quality ND filter should not cause any image blur. For many years I kept an ND filter on my 35mm camera all the time just to protect the lens, and it had zero effect on image quality.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does anybody knows how to activate automatic color mode? Its in the menu, but its not possible to select.
Funny thing - when I got projector it was in that auto mode but after changing something it refused to get into that mode again. I could not find how to do it, but I did not try very hard.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Funny thing - when I got projector it was in that auto mode but after changing something it refused to get into that mode again. I could not find how to do it, but I did not try very hard.
I found out the problem.
Auto color mode its just avaible when the projector its in front projection mode.

·
Registered
491 Posts
would the the 3700 be a step up from the epson 8350?

Not sure if I want to invest in a 5040 just yet seeing how some of the UHD/b.R. players are hit or miss at the present time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hopefully some reviews come soon

·
Registered
734 Posts
Would 3100/3700 be capable to vertical stretch for supporting external anamorphic lense?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Epson 3100 worth double the price of 2040?

ProjectorReviews.com said to expect a review of one of the new Epson models (3100, 3700, 3900) in the Oct/Nov timeframe.
I had pretty much narrowed my choice for my first projector to Epson 2040 or its big brother Epson 3000.
Now that the upgraded 3100 has arrived I am trying to decide if it is worth the $650 price premium over the 2040.
As a photographer I am well aware of the benefits of a superior upgraded glass lens - sharp edge to edge image etc.
I intend to wait for the reviews of the 3100 before deciding, the double price does seem high though.
What do the knowledgeable folks on this forum think?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Anyone have a meter and see how many lumens the 3700 puts out in best picture mode in eco mode?

61 - 80 of 917 Posts