AVS Forum banner

901 - 917 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey 3700 group. I am looking for some info from this fine group of owners. I would like to pick this up, since it's on refurbished clearance, as a stop-gap for my basement redo. I am wanting to buid a CIH screen at 2.39. I was thinking a 140" 2.39 screen that I would zoom down when I am watching 16:9 content. I have done some searching, but I haven't found much info for people doing that. I know it's a manual process with this projector, but as I said it's a stop-gap.

Has anyone in this group done a CIH setup and if so, I would love some pointers and / or gotcha's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still a good buy?

Hi guys,

I just picked up the 3700 refurbished straight from Epson. Is this still a good buy at $700 shipped in 2020? I think I'm in the camp of trying to get the best I can on a budget while waiting for the 4K options to come down in price...

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi guys,

I just picked up the 3700 refurbished straight from Epson. Is this still a good buy at $700 shipped in 2020? I think I'm in the camp of trying to get the best I can on a budget while waiting for the 4K options to come down in price...

Thanks!
This is such a subjective question. It depends on your room, what it's going to be used for, your preferences, seating distance, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!
On the fence between this and the Benq Ht2050a for roughly the same cost on my 100" screen in my garage.

I'll probably be happy with either but always look forward to others impressions. Let us know how you like your 3700.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm still using my 3100 that I bought refurbished from Epson in October 2017 for $1000 CDN. It is very similar to the 3700. It throws a nice bright image on my 135" screen and even though it's not the greatest with the blacks on certain movies it does the job pretty nicely until I can upgrade. I bought a Darbee unit for it and it does a nice job of sharpening things up and helps to hold things over until going faux or real 4K.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is such a subjective question. It depends on your room, what it's going to be used for, your preferences, seating distance, etc.
You're right, I should have provided more detail. This is going into a small untreated basement room with decent light control and just a tiny bit of ambient light spill during the day. Seating distance is about 10 feet. I also plan to keep the PJ mobile so I can have some outdoor movie nights with the kids! As for my preferences, I'm new to this, so I'm a little in the dark on what I prefer—no pun intended. I do own a 65" 4k OLED, so I know what a great picture looks like. I don't expect to get that same level of detail out of this, or the same blacks, but I'm still hoping for a great picture with good contrast. I'm sending a $250 Vankyo v630 back as I wasn't impressed at all. The thing is okay, just kinda feels like garbage. I hope throwing down a little over twice the money on a well-respected brand does the trick. Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You're right, I should have provided more detail. This is going into a small untreated basement room with decent light control and a little bit of ambient light spill during the day. Seating distance is about 10 feet. I also plan to keep the PJ mobile so I can have some outdoor movie nights with the kids! As for my preferences, I'm new to this, so I'm a little in the dark on what I prefer—no pun intended. I do own a 65" 4k OLED, so I know what a great picture looks like. I don't expect to get that same level of detail out of this, or the same blacks, but I'm hoping for a great picture still with good contrast. I'm sending a $250 Vankyo v630 back as I wasn't impressed at all. I hope throwing down a little over twice the money on a well-respected brand does the trick. Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
An example of the effect of room reflections on black level:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/videos/1692721894385217/

I don't know what would be acceptable in terms of contrast to you, with a projector. But the HC3700 is definitely not considered a good black level projector, although as I said subjective. It's better than the Vankyo, but I can't say that if you'll be satisfied with the Epson.

Black level is the most difficult and expensive to get.

In this budget it's very difficult to get a good contrast unit, used.

A good contrast projector can do ok in an untreated room in low brightness scenes, but as the image becomes brighter it will wash out the image.

The HC3700 has a native contrast of ~1500-2000:1 native, and more with the iris.
Sony HW40/45 is ~4000:1 native. These two models don't have an iris.
Epson 5040UB/5030 and other UB series do ~4000:1 native, more with the iris
JVC can have native contrast that's higher, but will not be easy to find in that budget. There are other issues with JVCs, like lamps that dim quicker.

So without seeing it yourself it's difficult to make an assessment.

With Epson refurbs they can't be sent back unless faulty.

In a general sense, DLP and 3LCD in the contrast range of the HC3700 with the native contrast, the blacks will be similar to an IPS monitor. Sony HW40 a little better. Only JVC can get better black level quality.

However, all that being said, with projectors what's important is diagonal. So a projector with not as good picture quality might be ok.

A 5040UB refurb would be an ok compromise. You'll probably like it,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting my first projector -- I'm planning to put it in my living room for HT use and also want to move it outside for movie nights with the kids. I have a refreshed HC2150 en-route from Amazon which I picked up for $499 but I've also been eyeing the 3700 for only $100 more. I'm a little concerned by the inability to return refurb Epsons but the difference in performance between the 2150 and 3700 seems significant. My living room (to say nothing of the backyard) gets ambient light so a bright picture will be key. Any advice -- should I get a 3700 and return the 2150 when it arrives?

On another note, I'd welcome advice about good quick-release ceiling mounts that will facilitate moving the projector outdoors. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Getting my first projector -- I'm planning to put it in my living room for HT use and also want to move it outside for movie nights with the kids. I have a refreshed HC2150 en-route from Amazon which I picked up for $499 but I've also been eyeing the 3700 for only $100 more. I'm a little concerned by the inability to return refurb Epsons but the difference in performance between the 2150 and 3700 seems significant. My living room (to say nothing of the backyard) gets ambient light so a bright picture will be key. Any advice -- should I get a 3700 and return the 2150 when it arrives?

On another note, I'd welcome advice about good quick-release ceiling mounts that will facilitate moving the projector outdoors. Thank you!
The 2150 can put out ~1800 lumens in regular modes, and the 3700 ~2400. But if there is too much ambient light, this increase will not matter.

3700 has better contrast, but ambient light will eliminate that advantage.

3700 has lens shift and a longer throw if required.

Can't say for the mounts.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Just got an Epson 3700. See my thought process and initial review here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3155328-projector-inside-outside-use-100-inch-screen.html

I have a comment/question there, but I'll repeat it here.

Is there any way to split sound to the back speakers of the Epson and also to another "front" speaker? If you do this by plugging in a cable into the audio port on the Epson, the sound for the rear speakers goes away. My daughter wants to sit in front of the projector but has a hard time hearing, since the rear speakers on the Epson shoot backward.

I'm using a computer as input to the projector via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Friend got a refurb 3700. I tried it out this week but found the picture like a trapezoid and need to use the vertical keystone to correct at -8. Is that considered a defect? IMO, yes. I would suggest him to return for another one. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Friend got a refurb 3700. I tried it out this week but found the picture like a trapezoid and need to use the vertical keystone to correct at -8. Is that considered a defect? IMO, yes. I would suggest him to return for another one. Any other suggestions?
Reset to factory settings.

If it's positioned perpendicular to the screen/wall, the image should be rectangle.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Reset to factory settings.

If it's positioned perpendicular to the screen/wall, the image should be rectangle.
Thanks for the reply.
User error. Epson only has 2 legs but not enough vertical lens shift, thus the upside down trapezoid. Once the feet are level, picture was fine. However, it might not work for my setup unless mounted on the ceiling which is not happening for a backup projector.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Yes, definitely get the 3700 for only $100 more. All the components, lumen output, software adjustability, and final image quality are a little better than the 2150. I did essentially what you’re asking at my last house in our living room. I had the 2150 for a while (which was a very solid entry level PJ for what I paid), and then upgraded to the 3700 when prices dipped below $1K. Save yourself some money and buy the better PJ to begin with.

The 3700 is a great living room friendly PJ, and I would still recommend it to anyone without good light control or not needing 4K. IMO, the only con I can think of is the larger size of the 3700 vs the 2150 which would make it a bit less portable for outdoor use. Otherwise, for gaming, TV, and movie watching, the 3700 is an excellent choice.

Also, I know the idea of a portable, do-it-all PJ sounds great in theory, but I don’t see people actually moving these type of PJs around very often, maybe because redoing the image calibration to fit your screen/room every time would be rather tedious or the units are just a little too cumbersome to make it worthwhile.

Good luck!

901 - 917 of 917 Posts