AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will take it with a grain of salt but just read by someone saying the BenQ HT3550 is better than the Epson Home Cinema PRO-UHD 5050UB. Is this true?

Guessing not but could be wrong. Each may have there strengths and weaknesses.

Yes I know it makes more sense to compare the Epson Home Cinema PRO-UHD 5050UB with the BenQ HT5550 (Sorry if I messed up the name)

Still my question remains.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I will take it with a grain of salt but just read by someone saying the BenQ HT3550 is better than the Epson Home Cinema PRO-UHD 5050UB. Is this true?

Guessing not but could be wrong. Each may have there strengths and weaknesses.

Yes I know it makes more sense to compare the Epson Home Cinema PRO-UHD 5050UB with the BenQ HT5550 (Sorry if I messed up the name)

Still my question remains.
An owner of both reviews the HT5550 and HC5050

and another review:

Test: BenQ W5700 vs. Epson EH-TW9400 4K HDR | Cine4home.de (use Google chrome's translate feature of language of choice).

The HT3550 is sharper and considerably smaller and easier to mount which is it's primary advantage, and it's about equal in terms of colour gamut. This is an excellent and in depth HT3550 review:

Test: DLP 4K HDR BenQ W2700 | Pag 1: Introduzione e caratteristiche (use Google chrome's translate feature of language of choice).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 5050UB is definitely a better projector overall. Yes it's more expensive but you'll get better placement flexibility (with electronic and horizontal/vertical lens shift) and superior performance over the HT3550, particularly in terms of optics, black level and colour reproduction.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5050UB is definitely a better projector overall. Yes it's more expensive but you'll get better placement flexibility (with electronic and horizontal/vertical lens shift) and superior performance over the HT3550, particularly in terms of optics, black level and colour reproduction.
Basically meaning you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I 'upgraded' from a HT3550 to 5050UB a few months ago, and I have mixed feelings. BenQ throws a sharper picture, and it's most noticeable with 4K. Epson is brighter, and has better contrast and blacks. HDR is also better given these qualities. With 3D, BenQ is free of ghosting and crosstalk. While 5050UB is a lot better than 5040UB in suffering from these issues, some ghosting and crosstalk is nonetheless noticeable, especially with darker scenes. But, Epson's brightness benefits 3D experience overall.

Placement is 100x easier with Epson, and it has many more settings to tweak PQ. This also is the problem as I can't ever seem to find the best settings I'm satisfied with for SDR, HDR and 3D. In the end, I'm happy overall with Epson, but I'm not sure it's worth the price premium over BenQ, which can hold its own at its price point and is a great value.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I 'upgraded' from a HT3550 to 5050UB a few months ago, and I have mixed feelings. BenQ throws a sharper picture, and it's most noticeable with 4K. Epson is brighter, and has better contrast and blacks. HDR is also better given these qualities. With 3D, BenQ is free of ghosting and crosstalk. While 5050UB is a lot better than 5040UB in suffering from these issues, some ghosting and crosstalk is nonetheless noticeable, especially with darker scenes. But, Epson's brightness benefits 3D experience overall.

Placement is 100x easier with Epson, and it has many more settings to tweak PQ. This also is the problem as I can't ever seem to find the best settings I'm satisfied with for SDR, HDR and 3D. In the end, I'm happy overall with Epson, but I'm not sure it's worth the price premium over BenQ, which can hold its own at its price point and is a great value.
Thanks interesting!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the OP's question was WRT to the HT3550, not the HT5550. If it's between the HT3550 and the 5050UB... I'm a DLP guy, but absent 3D needs and the obvious difference in price, the 5050UB wins in spite of the 4K pixel resolve. Brightness, contrast, placement--all better on the 5050UB.

Now if we're talking the HT5550... Scott's side-by-side shows how hard that decision is. The sharpness is a big ding against the 5050UB, but the brightness of it makes a difference. If the prices were equal, hard to say which is the best option. I'm currently debating the two myself, since price with coupons and quotes can get within about $150 USD of each other. (Best I've had quoted on the HT5550 was 2339, best I've had couponed on the Epson was 2500.)

The RBE reported issues on the HT5550 (vs older 1080p models like the HT1075 or W1070) gives me pause right now, given I've got a 3050 in my dedicated space; I'm less concerned with brightness from the older BenQ given that the space now has black curtains on both sides, no windows.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I think the OP's question was WRT to the HT3550, not the HT5550. If it's between the HT3550 and the 5050UB... I'm a DLP guy, but absent 3D needs and the obvious difference in price, the 5050UB wins in spite of the 4K pixel resolve. Brightness, contrast, placement--all better on the 5050UB.

Now if we're talking the HT5550... Scott's side-by-side shows how hard that decision is. The sharpness is a big ding against the 5050UB, but the brightness of it makes a difference. If the prices were equal, hard to say which is the best option. I'm currently debating the two myself, since price with coupons and quotes can get within about $150 USD of each other. (Best I've had quoted on the HT5550 was 2339, best I've had couponed on the Epson was 2500.)

The RBE reported issues on the HT5550 (vs older 1080p models like the HT1075 or W1070) gives me pause right now, given I've got a 3050 in my dedicated space; I'm less concerned with brightness from the older BenQ given that the space now has black curtains on both sides, no windows.
I haven't noted any RBE in my UHD50 and didn't see any in my W1070 either which is not surprising as the HT3550/5550 also use a 6 slice RGBRGB CW.

Scott reviews the HT3550 as well, on a 160in screen no less:

For the price of the HC5050 you could an HT3550 for night time movies and a high brightness laser projector for daytime use and for 3D.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

Do you see a problem with sharpness on the Epson?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

What screen size is your and how far away do you sit? Before getting this 3550 I was looking at the 5050ub. Don’t know if i made the right decision. Really do like this BenQ but i wish it was a bit brighter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you see a problem with sharpness on the Epson?

That depends on your eyesight, screen size and viewing distance. Yes, the HT3550 will resolve pixels better than the 5050UB, but it's just not a good match up given all the other superior characteristics of the Epson. If you're dealing with a 120" screen and you're 12' away, it's more unlikely you're going to consciously notice the difference in resolution.

Now, if we're talking the HT5550 vs the 5050UB, then it's a competitive comparison. Pixel resolution is better on the BenQ, color is more natural in most cases, motion is better; OTOH, some prefer the color saturation on the Epson, it is brighter and handles contrast slightly better, and has better black levels.

Usual/common list prices play a role too: the 5050UB is usually more but some websites like ParkerGwen can get it down, whereas the BenQ is commonly less, but there are highly reliable dealers and dicey stores that will sell for a good bit less. I'd say more but someone rightly noted that we can't cite pricing here.

So, assuming that patience and persistence get you your choice for basically a neutral price, it's really down to the pieces I've mentioned earlier. The side-by-side comparison on YouTube really helps in making the choice.

If it helps: I'm currently working with AG to get a new quote on the HT5550; if I can get the HT5550 at a better deal, I'm likely to pull the trigger. My reasoning is I'm using a 120" screen and my chair is 7.5ft from it. I have strong eyesight and notice SDE--which is why I've had DLP for the last few years.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That depends on your eyesight, screen size and viewing distance. Yes, the HT3550 will resolve pixels better than the 5050UB, but it's just not a good match up given all the other superior characteristics of the Epson. If you're dealing with a 120" screen and you're 12' away, it's more unlikely you're going to consciously notice the difference in resolution.

Now, if we're talking the HT5550 vs the 5050UB, then it's a competitive comparison. Pixel resolution is better on the BenQ, color is more natural in most cases, motion is better; OTOH, some prefer the color saturation on the Epson, it is brighter and handles contrast slightly better, and has better black levels.

Usual/common list prices play a role too: the 5050UB is usually more but some websites like ParkerGwen can get it down, whereas the BenQ is commonly less, but there are highly reliable dealers and dicey stores that will sell for a good bit less. I'd say more but someone rightly noted that we can't cite pricing here.

So, assuming that patience and persistence get you your choice for basically a neutral price, it's really down to the pieces I've mentioned earlier. The side-by-side comparison on YouTube really helps in making the choice.

If it helps: I'm currently working with AG to get a new quote on the HT5550; if I can get the HT5550 at a better deal, I'm likely to pull the trigger. My reasoning is I'm using a 120" screen and my chair is 7.5ft from it. I have strong eyesight and notice SDE--which is why I've had DLP for the last few years.
You say that SDE depends on eyesight and a few other things, but link a video that is clear and has no SDE from more than ~2-3'. How close do you have to sit before you see SDE? Unless you're wearing binoculars SDE is not an issue with 4K Epson, as seen in the video above. I don't know how you can argue with that.
That is a 100" screen.
I think there was a user with a 5050UB and an 140" and 7' seating which was claiming he was seeing something.

Motion handling is perfectly fine on Epson. DLP has an advantage for sports and other fast moving video applications, but for most video is not a problem. There are a lot of videos of Epsons online with motion.

Color accuracy is more than fine on Epson.

For larger screens brightness is important.
But it's more important for HDR. Please don't make me do the calculations. There was a video with a recommendation of 50fL for HDR. That might be a bit much, but there's no doubt brightness benefits HDR.
The 5050UB is bright enough to use the DCI P3 filter for 100% coverage, although a lot of users prefer to keep it off.
HT5550 is not a bright unit.

Motorized lens shift.
More lens shift.

Longer throw.

Outside the US the TW9400 with same specifications as the 6050UB sells at a lower cost than the W5700 (HT5550), and has been on a permanent sale since it came out. There's a difference of ~600$ between the W2700/HT3550 and TW9400.

Lag.

Lastly, contrast/black level.
This is paramount for picture quality. I don't care what the HT5550 has, if it doesn't have good black level it's worthless.
5050UB does not have any major flaw, as I've described above.

So what are the priorities?
Contrast - UB better
WCG - UB more and brighter
Resolution - UB not a problem

If you really have eagle vision, sure, get the Benq. But it would be a better option to move the seating backward then getting a poorer image with the Benq.

@Trapani

Most people get projectors for applications where reading text is by far not a priority.

What combination of attributes produces the best results? It's contrast, brightness, color, and then resolution.

Anecdotally I recently recommended a HT3050. The first thing the user noticed was the poor black level, did not complain about the resolution.

All these 1080p+ are good enough sharpness wise.

IMO unless the application requires something specific that only DLP can produce, Epson between $1000 and $3000 does not have any competition, for regular throw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've just changed over from an Optoma UHD51 (similar DLP engine to HT3550/5550) to Epson TW9400 and I have only noticed SDE once so far on a very bright scene and I was looking pretty hard to find it. I'm using a 115' scope screen and sit approx. 3 meters (~9 foot) from screen. Overall SDE is not an issue for me and I'm really enjoying the expanded colour gamut, brightness and especially the black level that the Epson provides.

Reactions: Brajesh and ng4ever

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you I guess the point I am trying to make is not one projector is perfect in everything. That is not possible. At least I don't think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oof. A lot to unwrap here, but thanks for the opportunity.

RE: SDE:
I sit 7' from a 120" screen. I simulated that at a high-end dealer before pandemic for a 6040UB, and noticed it. BUT, I totally agree that it's really only relevant to people with eyesight that will catch it. I happen to be 20/15 in both eyes, so I catch it. You're right that this is not, and should not be purported to be, a problem for most people. I have known FAR more who suffer RBE than SDE.

RE: Motion handling:
I should have been more specific, as you cited exactly the type of programming where DLP does shine in terms of rendering. DLP still loses on brightness, so if someone wants sports or other fast-moving content to be brighter and is less concerned with sharpness, Epson wins that battle. I prefer sharpness, and I watch most of my team's NFL season (as well as the playoffs in general) on my projector--so that's relevant to me. Brightness for me on a 1080p projector has less and less of a concern as I continue to black out the dedicated space I have... but there's more on this later.

RE: Color accuracy
I didn't say it wasn't fine, and it's actually a mixed bag here; some natural hues are rendered better on the HT5550, while at the same time it proves to be a touch too warm in some scenarios. Scott's video definitely demonstrated that. Epson does a great job here.

RE: Brightness (again-ish)
Very interesting point is raised here. I admit, I hadn't looked enough at the fL the HT5550 would produce versus my current pj (HT3050). The HT5550 doesn't show up in the Web Projector Calculator, but does in Jack Liu's calculator, so I'll use that as a baseline:

Assumptions:

• Throw distance of 11'10"
  • Screen fixed @ 120"
  • Screen height @ 1.5' from floor
  • Ceiling height @ 84"
  • Distance for my seat @ 90"
  • Gain 1.1 (typical Silver Ticket 120" fixed many have)

Results:

The HT3050 produces 30.9fL max, so given lamp age and zoom loss, probably low/mid-20's at this point. That matches my experience with it in the last 3 years. The HT5550 has a max fL of 27.8, and obviously decreases with time. The Epson (I know, this will shock you) is at 51.5fL--worth noting I had to use the 5040UB because it doesn't yet have the 5050UB, but if anything that just slightly handicaps the fL given the slight bump in lumens in the newer generation.

So if fL is champ, then I agree with you. For other projectors that can do DTM, that's a different story, but for the context of these projectors, it looks like you're spot-on.

Well, instead of getting 90 min of studying in for refreshing some AWS certs, I ended up learning a lot more about fL. 😆

RE: priorities
Contrast - UB better Agreed
WCG - UB more and brighter Agreed
Resolution - UB not a problem This is more of a probability than a fact. For me, and I recognize I'm the corner-case, it's a challenge. Sports viewing also presents that challenge.

For the OP, the HT3550 / 5050UB comparison is odd, because the price difference in the US is huge if you take deals into consideration (about $1k USD in best deals I've seen). The closer comparison in terms of quality and price was HT5550 / 5050UB, but your points as to why 5050UB would generally take the cake are clear.

For me, ideally, I'd be able to test out the 5050UB and swap to the HT5550 if I'm dissatisfied. But that's pretty complicated, since the best deal I found was on PG, and their return policy cites "unused", plus the shipping cost charge aspect. If I ended up with buyer remorse, I'd either be out of luck or looking at paying back the discount I got on the purchase to begin with. (The deal I'd wrangled was very attractive.) Guess it'll be more research for me.

You say that SDE depends on eyesight and a few other things, but link a video that is clear and has no SDE from more than ~2-3'. How close do you have to sit before you see SDE? Unless you're wearing binoculars SDE is not an issue with 4K Epson, as seen in the video above. I don't know how you can argue with that.
That is a 100" screen.
I think there was a user with a 5050UB and an 140" and 7' seating which was claiming he was seeing something.

Motion handling is perfectly fine on Epson. DLP has an advantage for sports and other fast moving video applications, but for most video is not a problem. There are a lot of videos of Epsons online with motion.

Color accuracy is more than fine on Epson.

For larger screens brightness is important.
But it's more important for HDR. Please don't make me do the calculations. There was a video with a recommendation of 50fL for HDR. That might be a bit much, but there's no doubt brightness benefits HDR.
The 5050UB is bright enough to use the DCI P3 filter for 100% coverage, although a lot of users prefer to keep it off.
HT5550 is not a bright unit.

Motorized lens shift.
More lens shift.

Longer throw.

Outside the US the TW9400 with same specifications as the 6050UB sells at a lower cost than the W5700 (HT5550), and has been on a permanent sale since it came out. There's a difference of ~600$ between the W2700/HT3550 and TW9400.

Lag.

Lastly, contrast/black level.
This is paramount for picture quality. I don't care what the HT5550 has, if it doesn't have good black level it's worthless.
5050UB does not have any major flaw, as I've described above.

So what are the priorities?
Contrast - UB better
WCG - UB more and brighter
Resolution - UB not a problem

If you really have eagle vision, sure, get the Benq. But it would be a better option to move the seating backward then getting a poorer image with the Benq.

@Trapani

Most people get projectors for applications where reading text is by far not a priority.

What combination of attributes produces the best results? It's contrast, brightness, color, and then resolution.

Anecdotally I recently recommended a HT3050. The first thing the user noticed was the poor black level, did not complain about the resolution.

All these 1080p+ are good enough sharpness wise.

IMO unless the application requires something specific that only DLP can produce, Epson between $1000 and $3000 does not have any competition, for regular throw.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts