AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I'm trying to decide if I need lens shift or not to avoid a support pole at the opposite end of the screen wall in my basement ( I'm mounting the unit under a beam and the pole is dead center of the beam). Given that I have a fixed screen size of 7'10" to work with, according to the Epson Image Size Calculator I only need 10'5" "Distance to Screen" in order to use up all the width.

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

My question is given I've plugged in the Powerlite HomeCinema 3010, is the calculator taking into account the actual depth of the unit ( which is 14.4") to come up with the 10'5" distance or do I need to back that out? From the screen wall to the beam, its exactly 10'8" so this is an important factor.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
The size of the projector has nothing to do with the throw calculation, it's always lens to screen, that is your critical distance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. If its lens to screen, then I have to take the total distance from one wall to the other, then subtract the 14.4" for the projector.

This would be my max throw. I'll have to give up 7" of screen size in order to skip over lens shift as an option. To me, there are so many other choices out there in my price range ( up to $1,800) without lens shift that I may sacrifice some real estate.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
According to the ProjectorCentral.com's Projector Calculator , the 3010 can fill your 94" screen from as little as 9' away (to a max of 14'8" away). The 3010 is 14.4" (~1'3") deep, which puts you at just under ~10'3" from screen to beam. This agrees with the Epson calculator's numbers, and means that the 3010 should work with ~5" to spare (for cabling).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts