AVS Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
My specs are close... I use a Falcon Screens Platinum (1.3 gain) scope screen that is 130" wide. My room is light controlled. I run the projector at medium power for 16:9 material and for 2.35:1 I run high power about 80% of the time.

I'm very happy with this setup.
Thank you for you reply.

The 2.35 screen I'm looking at is 133" diagonal, which is approx. 122" wide. If yours is 130" wide and also 16:9, then your screen sounds significantly larger than the 2.35 Neve I'm considering. Your gain is slighter higher than the Neve which would give your screen a slight advantage. I would prefer to use ECO mode for most viewing, and hopefully only need to open the IRIS to reach the lumens I desire (13 - 17 FtL). I'm hoping not to have to use Normal mode as my base setting. I would however say, for my viewing, that I do like Normal mode ever so slightly better than ECO mode, but due to the near noiseless fan I prefer ECO. Plus in ECO mode I can run my PJ for 20 years before reaching half lumen output. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was not talking about sales of the RS500/600 across the US. I said that there were several hundred AVS forum members that owned RS500/600's. Do you really think that those owners don't know about this issue? I am pretty sure that most do care, but yes, many of them may feel the other benefits of the JVC outweigh the bright corners. Especially if the only time they can see the issue is when watching end credits or when there is a long fade to black. Since all projectors, especially those that have to rely on a dynamic iris, have issues with certain scenes, I don't know that JVC's trade off is that bad. I could care less about end credits. I went with the JVC because I was not wanting to use the dynamic iris. My last projector relied heavily on a dynamic iris (not near as good of a trade off) and I wanted to get away from that, to get better picture quality.
R Harkness was one of the first to receive the RS600, and mentioned Bright Corners. He sent his unit back, and the 2nd unit also had bright corners, but not as bad. Here is a post he made just a week ago, and bright corners don't just appear during credits and fades to black. I am in no way suggesting the latest JVC's don't have many wonderful remarkable traits, but let's be honest about problems areas such as bright corners.

01-30-2016, 12:28 PM http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1434826-projector-mini-shootout-thread-459.html#post41118442 Projector Mini-Shootout Thread
Even though the bright corners became better (I think) on my RS600, they still become visible several times during most dark movies e.g. watching The Conjuring last night, they became intrusive a few times. The worst case images for the bright corners IME is a dark image with a lighter image in the middle. For instance, in a movie like The Conjuring, a shot from the dark basement looking up at the basement door opening - as the door in the middle of the screen opens the bright corners in the dark parts of the image grow brighter, and then stay that way as the door closes again to darkness.
There was a similar issue in the horror movie Black Sabbath, where a continually flashing lighthouse-like light was flashing through a window. Each sweep of the light would raise the bright corners which would seem to have this afterglow effect as the central light diminished.

I can get along with this given how excellent the projector looks otherwise and...well...because I have to, I've got no choice. But I think I'll be looking sooner than usual to upgrade, with hopes of having the better luck others seem to have gotten.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
R Harkness was one of the first to receive the RS600, and mentioned Bright Corners. He sent his unit back, and the 2nd unit also had bright corners, but not as bad. Here is a post he made just a week ago, and bright corners don't just appear during credits and fades to black. I am in no way suggesting the latest JVC's don't have many wonderful remarkable traits, but let's be honest about problems areas such as bright corners.

01-30-2016, 12:28 PM http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1434826-projector-mini-shootout-thread-459.html#post41118442 Projector Mini-Shootout Thread
And let's not take things out of context by cherry picking what you choose to post about the issue in this thread. Here's a post with more recent information presented by him:

As to the good ol' bright corners issue, it's amazingly variable. I was watching something with the IRIS closed to -13, a pretty typical setting for me when watching 16:9 at around 105" diagonal, and I noticed on b[l]ack screens - no bright corners! I'm like "WFT?" So I go to other FTBs and still almost no bright corners. Then I put on a shot that has always brought out the bright corners terribly, from Only God Forgives and...they bright corners were far, far reduced, almost not there. Even with the DI on or off. I'd never once seen that shot without it being utterly ruined by the bright corners.

Once I bumped the aperture up a couple notches, the bright corners seemed to arise again, though they don't seem as obnoxious as they once were.
Basically, while they still will screw up shots here and there, I'm seeing them in content less and less.
I can attest to what he's seeing. For whatever reason, as I put more time on my RS500, the image seems be getting more and more uniform. It's to the point where I have to pause on an all black image and let my eyes adapt to the almost "black" image on screen to be able to see any issue at all with black non-uniformity and even then it's extremely subtle on my unit. I've yet to encounter the issue in real world content.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree 100% about being careful about cherry picking what we choose to post.

I am making the point that we also be careful not to sluff things off like they don't matter or are insignificant, as well as be careful we don't make something out to be better than it really is. Openness & Honesty is the best policy. Sometimes we may misstep, and we can easily correct our mistake or apologize. This will happen. It's not a big deal. We then carry on and continue our discussion on a hobby we all seemingly love.

Speaking of which, I'm going downstairs to watch the Hobbit: Battle of 5 Armies 3D with the 12 year old daughter of my girlfriend. She is very excited, and won't notice one issue with my projector or screen. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you for you reply.

The 2.35 screen I'm looking at is 133" diagonal, which is approx. 122" wide. If yours is 130" wide and also 16:9, then your screen sounds significantly larger than the 2.35 Neve I'm considering. Your gain is slighter higher than the Neve which would give your screen a slight advantage. I would prefer to use ECO mode for most viewing, and hopefully only need to open the IRIS to reach the lumens I desire (13 - 17 FtL). I'm hoping not to have to use Normal mode as my base setting. I would however say, for my viewing, that I do like Normal mode ever so slightly better than ECO mode, but due to the near noiseless fan I prefer ECO. Plus in ECO mode I can run my PJ for 20 years before reaching half lumen output. ;)
Don't fret the noise too much. I will on occasion notice it during a very quiet scene in "high" mode but never medium... Also forgot to mention I have the iris fully closed down.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just bought a new Epson LS10000, and thought I'd chime in here with this information that my dealer told me when I got it. They have an LS10000 in their reference theater room as part of their demo line-up, and the guy told me that their unit just rounded a thousand hours and has absolutely no change or degradation to the panels since it was new. The calibration measurements has remained completely stable with no drift at all.

So I guess this further reinforces what @Citation4444 found in his measurements. :)

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So I guess this further reinforces what @Citation4444 found in his measurements. :)
The only thing I'd say is that only some of his initial assessment is true. The unit may have gotten brighter but it wasn't from the firmware update. We had a very old unit, one with a firmware on it that is earlier than any mentioned in this thread, and updated it to the latest firmware and measured no increase in brightness or contrast after the update. We also didn't see much, if any, difference in eshift after updating the firmware. The one thing that did happen is the unit got brighter after the first 1000 hours or so. This must be how the laser/phosphor wheel works after it goes through a break in period. So we see the same performance as new, just brighter by about 30%. I measured this same unit two years ago and its surprising how much brigter it got. Whether or not this extra brightness was accounting for the better image he was seeing, I don't know. But we didn't see any real change in overall PQ going from a VERY old firmware to the newest. That was what all three of us in the room saw.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only thing I'd say is that only some of his initial assessment is true. The unit may have gotten brighter but it wasn't from the firmware update. We had a very old unit, one with a firmware on it that is earlier than any mentioned in this thread, and updated it to the latest firmware and measured no increase in brightness or contrast after the update. We also didn't see much, if any, difference in eshift after updating the firmware. The one thing that did happen is the unit got brighter after the first 1000 hours or so. This must be how the laser/phosphor wheel works after it goes through a break in period. So we see the same performance as new, just brighter by about 30%. I measured this same unit two years ago and its surprising how much brigter it got. Whether or not this extra brightness was accounting for the image he was seeing, I don't know. But we didn't see any real change in overall PQ going from a VERY old firmware to the newest. That was what all three of us in the room saw.
Yep, I merely meant that this supports his initial findings that there is no panel degradation at all over a thousand hours of use. I should've been more clear and pointed that out in my post above. :)

181 - 192 of 192 Posts