AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Does anyone have an update on when the LS10000 will start shipping, and at what price (and if AVS will be selling them)?

No word since CEDIA last month where Epson said they would begin shipping the "end of October". This could either mean shipping from Japan to Epson USA or it could mean shipping to dealers in the USA. In either case, November is the most likely timeframe for dealers to actually have the first batch for sale and they might remain in short supply into 2015..

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Ekki - are you doing more testing on your current LS10000 or did you send it back and waiting on a production unit? Curious to hear about your further ANSI CR and other experiments including comparisons to its little brother. When might we hear from you about it?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Okay don't know if this was covered because alot of post here but how long of a life ? What happens when the laser goes out ....it's replaced like a bulb or new projector required?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Okay don't know if this was covered because alot of post here but how long of a life ? What happens when the laser goes out ....it's replaced like a bulb or new projector required?

The lasers are not user replaceable and must be replaced at Epson's service center. If the projector is under warranty then Epson will ship you a replacement projector (factory refurb) and cover the return shipping costs for the one with the failed laser. Epson will then repair that projector you returned and put it in the refurb pool.

·
Registered
441 Posts
given that this is laser, can it be a short-throw projector? say, 120" diag from 6'? is the limit now the angle at which the lasers leave the panels?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
given that this is laser, can it be a short-throw projector? say, 120" diag from 6'? is the limit now the angle at which the lasers leave the panels?
This is not a "laser" projector in the traditional sense. I believe the only color that the micro-displays get from the laser is blue. This is why it uses two lasers. This is where the phosphor wheel comes in. The light the phosphor wheel creates when burnt by the laser is yellow and then split up by filters to extract red and green just like in a traditional 3 chip projector with a UHP lamp. The light that's created is very similar to light that's created by your typical UHP lamp in spectrum. One of the reasons for using a blue laser is because typically a UHP lamp outputs the least amount of color in the blue spectrum by quite a decent amount. With a blue laser they can get that spectrum of color in a higher quantity. Or at least this is the way I remember @mark haflich explaining it to me. I'm sure he and others can explain it better or correct me. So I don't think we gain all the benefits a laser can bring until we stop using phosphor wheels. The use of the phosphor wheel is also why we don't see "speckle" issues with this Epson model. The high end commercial lasers are laser projectors in a truer sense and what I believe you're talking about with this model.

This photo from the Epson's spec sheet shows it a bit better:

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
From the broad spectrum lamp bulb, one must filter out the three primaries, RGB. Filtering costs one light. By using a yellow phosphor, the light from the phosphor wheel needs a lot less filtering to extract R and G. Of course if we ever exceed rec 709, more filtering of yellow will be required. The pro NEC phosphor wheel projector filters to get P3 R&G primaries and puts out mucho light.

The limiting factor for throw distance in spinning phosphor with pure blue from laser is the same as from a bulb lit machine, the design of the lens. Build a wide wide angle lens and viola your lens is a short throw lens.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
This is not a "laser" projector in the traditional sense. I believe the only color that the micro-displays get from the laser is blue. This is why it uses two lasers. This is where the phosphor wheel comes in. The light the phosphor wheel creates when burnt by the laser is yellow and then split up by filters to extract red and green just like in a traditional 3 chip projector with a UHP lamp. The light that's created is very similar to light that's created by your typical UHP lamp in spectrum. One of the reasons for using a blue laser is because typically a UHP lamp outputs the least amount of color in the blue spectrum by quite a decent amount. With a blue laser they can get that spectrum of color in a higher quantity. Or at least this is the way I remember @mark haflich explaining it to me. I'm sure he and others can explain it better or correct me. So I don't think we gain all the benefits a laser can bring until we stop using phosphor wheels. The use of the phosphor wheel is also why we don't see "speckle" issues with this Epson model. The high end commercial lasers are laser projectors in a truer sense and what I believe you're talking about with this model.

This photo from the Epson's spec sheet shows it a bit better:

Anybody know where the video is that showed the lens assembly for the VW600ES and VW100/1100ES. I know that the lens assembly for the 1000/1100 makes the Epson look tiny, but I thought that the lens assembly for the 600 was much larger than what Epson is showing in the LS10000. Be nice if we had a larger view of the LS1000 elements, so that we could see what is there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello, Any updates on the final user prices for this Epson and the 9600? and expected time to be on sell on Europe? difficult questions...

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Hello, Any updates on the final user prices for this Epson and the 9600? and expected time to be on sell on Europe? difficult questions...
It appears the US prices for the LS9600 and LS10000 are $5999 and $7999 respectively. I assume sales in Europe are still scheduled to begin in 2nd quarter 2015.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It appears the US prices for the LS9600 and LS10000 are $5999 and $7999 respectively. I assume sales in Europe are still scheduled to begin in 2nd quarter 2015.
Thanks Ron! I assume we will have here in Europe to keep waiting. ... They always keep us behind. And also increase prices in Europe for the products
If Epson delays too long maybe the new JVC VS2500 will win the race on our market...
By the way, Lents in this Epson lasser again are not sealed, am I right?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Thanks Ron! I assume we will have here in Europe to keep waiting. ... They always keep us behind. And also increase prices in Europe for the products
If Epson delays too long maybe the new JVC VS2500 will win the race on our market...
Is interesting the VS2500 is shown in what looks to be the same chassis as their current line of lamp based, home theater projectors - which is about half the cubic volume of the Epson.

Reactions: Dogor

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Is interesting the VS2500 is shown in what looks to be the same chassis as their current line of lamp based, home theater projectors - which is about half the cubic volume of the Epson.
Since we already know that JVC has a laser phosphor version that fits in the same housing, it seems pretty obvious that there will be an HT version of this next year. The only question is if it will be 4K? My guess is that it will. If not, I think JVC will be behind.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Since we already know that JVC has a laser phosphor version that fits in the same housing, it seems pretty obvious that there will be an HT version of this next year. The only question is if it will be 4K? My guess is that it will. If not, I think JVC will be behind.
It seems that JVS should have the experience with 4k panels, and this hybrid light source, to have a product next year - especially with skipping anything new this year.

I was thinking they would keep the 4910, maybe drop it to $3500 msrp, then have a 4k/hybrid light source unit in the $8k msrp range. I was thinking a bigger chassis, like the Epson, for the 4k machine to better cool and then damp extra noise. But maybe JVC does not need that extra size?

When I had the Mitsubishi 9000/HC5 in my room I was struck by how much bigger it was than the RS10, but even new, was not quite as bright as my RS10 with a 500 hour bulb in it. I don't really care that much about size, I am just hoping the JVC hybrid will prove to be brighter than the Epson, and seeing it in the current chassis seems odd. Time will tell.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
None of the LCoS projectors are truly sealed as there have been reports of dust blobs on Sony SXRD projectors and I had a dust blob happen on a JVC DILA in the past. When I ask Epson their response implied it is sealed similar to other LCoS projectors but they pointed out that none are 100% sealed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does anyone have an update on when the LS10000 will start shipping, and at what price (and if AVS will be selling them)?
I was at Best Buy the other day and the guys at Magnolia claimed that it could be ordered with two weeks delivery time for $9k. My friend is going to pull the trigger on it and I am considering it. I just feel I really need to see it first.We will see.

301 - 320 of 474 Posts