AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1378 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
HI
Question to LS10500 owners. I currently have 5040ub thinking on upgrade.

there are few options like: new JVC NX5/N7, X790 and I started considering LS10500...There is another option: wait till LS11000 is released...

I m using 113" reference white 1.0 gain screen in bat cave, projector mounted near to max zoom on ECO / medium modes to preserve max brightness (sometimes it is too bright even on ECO)

Will 10500 be noticably dimmer comapring to 5040ub in HDR ?

Is there a chance Epson will update its LS10500 to 18Gb HDMI standard and increase brightness soon or this is wishful thinking at the moment ?

I have plenty of HDR 4K movies and don't want to give up on HDR on the projector (even though the are far from TV HDR luminosity...)
I got Oppo so I can theoretically use HDR to SDR mapping to BT2020 SDR, but still this won't satisfy me having looked HDR on 5040ub.
Please let me know your thoughts on using HDR on LS10500.

I ve heard laser gives more clean picture and less noise. I am fed up with UHD lamps so I said next projector will be either laser or 4K - no eshifts :)
BUt we shall see as there is something in between: JVC X790...
Forgot to add black levels and contrast matters so I want this to be an upgrade too.

I am also occasional gamer (ps4 pro), so how 52ms input lag corresponds to 27ms on 5040ub - will it be very noticable ?
Anyone using ps4 pro with ls10500 ? or I should forget about gaming on this projector.

There is no rush so 'wait and see' is also a perspective as I am generally satisfied with my current Epson, can keep it bit longer to find out whats released in first half of 2019.

·
Registered
484 Posts
EDID 1 is for HDR material, which only comes in the BT2020 space. This is according to Epson’s official LS10500 manual.

So, EDID 1 is for UHD HDR material, and it’s where my projector is set whether it be 4K disc, Blu-ray Disc, or any stream. You can always set the projector to SDR within EDID 1.

I always display HDR content as an HDR input into the LS, I never strip the metadata and tone map before sending the signal to the LS and have had EXCELLENT results.
My doubt was referred to this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2580129-epson-ls10500-4k-enhance-laser-projector-12.html#post49793089

Is not it better to do the HDR-SDR conversion to the source?
In my case, an HTPC and MadVr's Tone Mapping.
If you use the EDID1, the player or the source, you will see the Epson as HDR and will send an HDR signal, and the conversion will be made by the Epson, definitely worse than MadVr

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
HI

there are few options like: new JVC NX5/N7, X790 and I started considering LS10500...There is another option: wait till LS11000 is released...

I m using 113" reference white 1.0 gain screen in bat cave, projector mounted near to max zoom on ECO / medium modes to preserve max brightness (sometimes it is too bright even on ECO)

Is there a chance Epson will update its LS10500 to 18Gb HDMI standard and increase brightness soon or this is wishful thinking at the moment ?

I have plenty of HDR 4K movies and don't want to give up on HDR on the projector (even though the are far from TV HDR luminosity...)
I got Oppo so I can theoretically use HDR to SDR mapping to BT2020 SDR, but still this won't satisfy me having looked HDR on 5040ub.

I ve heard laser gives more clean picture and less noise. I am fed up with UHD lamps so I said next projector will be either laser or 4K - no eshifts :)
Forgot to add black levels and contrast matters so I want this to be an upgrade too.

I am also occasional gamer (ps4 pro), so how 52ms input lag corresponds to 27ms on 5040ub - will it be very noticable ?
Anyone using ps4 pro with ls10500 ? or I should forget about gaming on this projector.

There is no rush so 'wait and see' is also a perspective as I am generally satisfied with my current Epson, can keep it bit longer to find out whats released in first half of 2019.
I have played a few games on ps4 pro and this projector
Looks great, I’m not noticing much lag
It might be coming into play on call of duty, I used to be pretty decent, but I’m not sure if it’s the lag or me for being kinda bad at it now(haven’t played in years )

Red dead redemption and Spider-Man look fantastic on it

I just bought 1978 Superman 4K and watched it last night
One of my faves and first time I’ve ever seen it on the big screen
Was a treat

·
Registered
197 Posts
Very happy with my LS10500 since i got it. Accepts HDR & 4k and plays beautifully, this PJ is a steal and offer 25-30K hours before you start worrying just amazing.

I did call Chad for calibrating it as soon as i got it and thanks to Chad +++ came over and calibrated this wonderful piece of art. I recommend everyone to calibrate the unit professionally. Without worrying bulb life or performance and keep calibrating the unit according to bulbs output. Very crisp beautiful pictures.

Who is out there thinking about getting this unit, i highly recommend it based on my experience with it. :)

Did he set it for HDR or used something like an Oppo to SDR/ BT2020 ? The picture looks amazing congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
HI

Sorry, but there do not come any LS11000 ( Epson drops the LS serie sadly )

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are you saying Epson is dropping their laser projectors?
Nothing official. Epson pretty much ignored their LS series at Cedia. With JVC and Sony getting into the lower cost bulb 4K projectors Epson will have to do something to remain relevant.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Epson is listing the LS10500 as a current model.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well that's going to suck. I was hoping to get into a Epson laser once my Sony VW95 is done. Great so no more reasonably priced laser projectors in the future.

·
Registered
14,464 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm not interested in a light canon or BenQ.

Oh great it still appears on the Epson USA site. Hopefully they keep it in their lineup for a few more years at least. I don't understand why they would want to remove what is/was probably their biggest hit in the HT projector market to date. And it's not like these machines are plagued with problems, if anything it would seem the opposite.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
I'm not interested in a light canon or BenQ..........
I’ve had both the LS10500 and the BenQ LK970 and I can confidently say that if you see the BenQ you wouldn’t be saying that. In fact you’d have to get into the expensive over $25K Sonys and JVCs to best it for overall image quality.

“light cannon” doesn’t really describe it properly. “It has it when it needs it”, like for HDR, is what I’d say.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi Dave, interesting comments. What technology is the LK970 using.

Okay I just did a search, DLP, no thanks, never liked DLP projectors -headaches among other distractions from the DLP. Any other choices for laser and non-DLP out there.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
My dealer did mention something about the possibility of Epson releasing a new LS model next year when I went to see the new JVC N5, but I've no details or any idea how accurate that comment is.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
Hi Dave, interesting comments. What technology is the LK970 using.

Okay I just did a search, DLP, no thanks, never liked DLP projectors -headaches among other distractions from the DLP. Any other choices for laser and non-DLP out there.

Your loss to disregard this amazing machine before experiencing it. To each his own.

Maybe read the dedicated thread for it (hint hint).

1141 - 1160 of 1378 Posts