AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry but according to this new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgWdA6ncvtQ it seems the projector is only sold with a screen in USA, that's strange that the projector is sold in Europe first and without a screen and later in USA and only in bundle.
But on the different video we see that it seems that the projector need a long distance from the wall for an UST :( The documentation is available in the russian epson website and using google translate, it seems that it need 76cm from the back for a 100" screen, I hope a get wrong because that's a lot.
Does this thing have HDMI 2.1?

So according to that video they're 18Gb ports so HDMI 2.0 but then there's not too much need for HDMI 2.1 on this. Then again, he also said it has Android TV built into it where I do not see that mentioned *anywhere* else and also, if that where the case, why the hell do they have an Nvida Shield TV plugged into it as well.

It does also look like it's placed back A LONG way for what's supposed to be a UST projector. Short throw maybe but it doesn't look UST at all for that screen size.....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It does also look like it's placed back A LONG way for what's supposed to be a UST projector. Short throw maybe but it doesn't look UST at all for that screen size.....
good catch, unless they zoomed out for demo, doubt anyone would have a reason to place it that far out unless it's for ceiling mount purposes.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If it has built in Android TV, why do they have an Nvidia Shield TV (arguably the best Android TV box out there) plugged in:

Haha, that's exactly my setup but with Xiaomi with Shield hanging in the back. Xiaomi built-in android lacks Netflix, perhaps same issue with Epson

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
This is what I found on the russian doc (I don't speak russian anyway but try to translate it with google translator), maybe they make a mistake and it's not centimeter but millimeter. I also agree I don't see anything related to Android in epson website or in this documentation. That's crazy if their commercial lie like that. The only things related is that you can use epson iProjection with this projector (an app for ios and android), and they also let a slot in front of the projector to put an amazon firestick or chrome cast, so it will be even more strange that they put this slot and have android also already integrated.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
But on the different video we see that it seems that the projector need a long distance from the wall for an UST :( The documentation is available in the russian epson website and using google translate, it seems that it need 76cm from the back for a 100" screen, I hope a get wrong because that's a lot.
This seems to be correct according to the Epson UK website

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/projectors/home-cinema/eh-ls500b#specifications

Image Size : 65 inches - 120 inches

Projection Distance Wide/Tele : 0.4 m - 0.82 m

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
Price talk and deal's talk posts are not permitted outside of the deal's area.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Now that I look at that image I see how far it as well for what looks like a 100". So Epson introduced new kind of UST called SUST (SemiUST).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, that coffee table/console is very deep. I just measured my family room console which is 21.5 inches, pretty standard in the US. And I also have 5 inches of gap between wall and back of console for all the wires, so 26.5" total. But I need 30 inches for 100 inch image, so I would need to put it a few inches away in front of my console. I'd need a tripod. The unit is also about 14.75 inches deep. You need about 15.75 inches to get 65 inch image. I can't even do that without a tripod. Why would you design a UST that would be in no man's land in most homes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now that I look at that image I see how far it as well for what looks like a 100". So Epson introduced new kind of UST called SUST (SemiUST).
It would appear so. Maybe they will market it with fancy terminology..... "We at Epson are thrilled to introduce a new, exciting technology.... quasi-ultra short throw".... :D:D:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The more I read about it, the less impressed I am. I’ve already seen the words “limited color range” and mention of so-so contrast. Not to mention the throw ratio and packaging it with a screen that I don’t need.

Pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is what I found on the russian doc (I don't speak russian anyway but try to translate it with google translator), maybe they make a mistake and it's not centimeter but millimeter. I also agree I don't see anything related to Android in epson website or in this documentation. That's crazy if their commercial lie like that. The only things related is that you can use epson iProjection with this projector (an app for ios and android), and they also let a slot in front of the projector to put an amazon firestick or chrome cast, so it will be even more strange that they put this slot and have android also already integrated.

It's in CM in the top pic and MM in the bottom pic. This is crazy, they have effectively killed their one and only decent UST projector, the LS100. Why does it have to be placed so far away? It has to be 75CM away from the screen for a 120" screen, with the actual back of the unit being another 14.2CM behind that, so a total of 89.2CM or 35.11", the back of the unit is basically THREE FEET away from the wall. That's crazy, what on earth are they thinking?! That has effectively killed it in my opinion.

This should have been simple, update the LS100 with e-Shift (I would have preferred native 4k but I guess Epson still isn't feeling the pressure yet). There should be a cheaper version and a UB version with significantly better contrast. Right now they're charging UB prices for projector with really bad contrast.

61 - 80 of 228 Posts