AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks like 375mm for the projector and 75cm from the screen. I come up with about 44 1/4" away from the screen for a 120" screen?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks like 375mm for the projector and 75cm from the screen. I come up with about 44 1/4" away from the screen for a 120" screen?
75cm from screen to the front of the lens, the front of the unit to the front of the lens according to the second diagram is 375mm - 233mm = 142mm/14.2cm. 75cm + 14.2cm = 89.2cm / 35.11" from the front of the unit to the screen/(or wall if it's flat).

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
It's in CM in the top pic and MM in the bottom pic. This is crazy, they have effectively killed their one and only decent UST projector, the LS100. Why does it have to be placed so far away? It has to be 75CM away from the screen for a 120" screen, with the actual back of the unit being another 14.2CM behind that, so a total of 89.2CM or 35.11", the back of the unit is basically THREE FEET away from the wall. That's crazy, what on earth are they thinking?! That has effectively killed it in my opinion.

This should have been simple, update the LS100 with e-Shift (I would have preferred native 4k but I guess Epson still isn't feeling the pressure yet). There should be a cheaper version and a UB version with significantly better contrast. Right now they're charging UB prices for projector with really bad contrast.
This looks to me like an interim product that was hurried out the door because the planned product encountered some major issues. Could be engineering issues, could be marketing or financial issues. For instance, this thing looks klugy with the strange "add-on" lens pod and the distance problem. Perhaps the real product, smooth looking like the competition, had serious tech problems or the product cost was to high to offer it at a competitive price. I was in computer product development. So many things can happen to delay an announcement and a delivery. It was often necessary to quickly develop an interim product made out of pieces from predecessors to bridge the gap. This kluge looks like one of those.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This looks to me like an interim product that was hurried out the door because the planned product encountered some major issues. Could be engineering issues, could be marketing or financial issues. For instance, this thing looks klugy with the strange "add-on" lens pod and the distance problem. Perhaps the real product, smooth looking like the competition, had serious tech problems or the product cost was to high to offer it at a competitive price. I was in computer product development. So many things can happen to delay an announcement and a delivery. It was often necessary to quickly develop an interim product made out of pieces from predecessors to bridge the gap. This kluge looks like one of those.
You could be right but not necessarily because of the lens design as it looks exactly like their ELPX02 lens. I am guessing what the LS500 actually is, rushed out the door to compete with the recent UST "TVs", is a modified Prolite L400U chassis with e-Shift enabled and slapped/packaged together with their ELPX02 lens in a single unit.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Projecto...L400U-WUXGA-3LCD-Laser-Projector/p/V11H907020

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Couldn't Epson use their reflective LCOS for this projector?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Couldn't Epson use their reflective LCOS for this projector?
They could do lots of things like actually start putting out native 4k panels, better contrast panels and changing the 5050/6050 or the 3xxx line to laser, all kinds of things but clearly they're not feeling the market pressure enough to do so.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Advanced HDR Processing – Full 10-bit color processing accepting 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an exceptional visual performance.

Outstanding Color Accuracy5 – Advanced 3-Chip 3LCD technology displays 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame. This allows for the Rec. 709 color space to be displayed for outstanding color accuracy.

Is this marketing speak and it's really only Rec. 709?!?!?!

That hands on article BuddyLee posted seems to claim so...

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,463 Posts
Is this marketing speak and it's really only Rec. 709?!?!?!

That hands on article BuddyLee posted seems to claim so...
It would be consistent with Epson's approach that if a projector does not have the Cinema filter (that cuts light output in half) turned on then the color gamut will be relatively limited, in this case not reaching rec.709.. That does not mean it can't get past rec.709, just not without the filter activated but that's me guessing. Hopefully I'll review it and put a meter to it, or someone else will. But again it's worth remembering Epson sees this as a living room projector for sports and TV, not home theater per se. Brightness is the goal and with lights out you can switch to having improved color saturation and deeper blacks be the goal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
In this video (in french)
the guy say that the LS500 will have a 1440:1 contrast (it compared it to the LS100 who had a 300:1 contrast so it should be honest)

·
Registered
717 Posts
This might be picky, but it also annoyed me with the LG HU85L model ... *WHY WHITE?*
If it's going to be placed in a (likely usually) dark room... why would we want glowing white plastic up front?

Will Epson do the same trick as the pro series projectors? Black available if you want to pay more?

·
Registered
567 Posts
This might be picky, but it also annoyed me with the LG HU85L model ... *WHY WHITE?*
If it's going to be placed in a (likely usually) dark room... why would we want glowing white plastic up front?

Will Epson do the same trick as the pro series projectors? Black available if you want to pay more?

There is a black version for exactly the same price it seems.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
577 Posts

I believe a lot of these UST 4k projector manufacturers are positioning these as TV replacements for use in more highly lit environments (especially when bundled with an ALR screen). For whatever reason, they decided white was a better color for the living room.

... you know, to match your receiver and speakers :rolleyes:

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,463 Posts
Here it is in black, and also with an alternative screen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I believe a lot of these UST 4k projector manufacturers are positioning these as TV replacements for use in more highly lit environments (especially when bundled with an ALR screen). For whatever reason, they decided white was a better color for the living room.

... you know, to match your receiver and speakers :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer it in white, UST projector is built to go in a living room not in specialized room, if you have a specialized room, you better buy a classical projector that will give you a much better pictures for the price. Most living room are painted in white or clear color so it's logical to have it available in white color, also LG and Epson are Corean and Japanese and they usually have design interior with clear color too, so they want something that match their market taste.

Also, this projector is available in black and white for the same price so it's not a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
The whole "distance from the wall" thing seems like it could be a bigger issue than any performance differences with the LG. Weird that they don't seem to have anticipated this more, though WTH do I know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's not. LS10500 is miles ahead...RLCD, superp laser diming + manual iris and much more. The UST does what it's name tells you. ultra short throw. That's it.
I have the LS10000 but I’m considering a UST projector due to room move meaning less throw distance.
Do you reckon I’d be losing cosiderably picture quality wise with this or the LG HU85LA? Currently leaning towards the LG.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have the LS10000 but I’m considering a UST projector due to room move meaning less throw distance.
Do you reckon I’d be losing cosiderably picture quality wise with this or the LG HU85LA? Currently leaning towards the LG.

From what I've read/heard about how awesome the LS10000/10500 is, I'm going to take a guess and say yes you will be losing considerable picture quality.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have the LS10000 but I’️m considering a UST projector due to room move meaning less throw distance.
Do you reckon I’️d be losing cosiderably picture quality wise with this or the LG HU85LA? Currently leaning towards the LG.

From what I've read/heard about how awesome the LS10000/10500 is, I'm going to take a guess and say yes you will be losing considerable picture quality.
Loosing some? Probably in contrast/black levels, but considerable? I doubt. He would be going from 1080p to 4k, so it's a gain in sharpness at least.

Keep in mind though if you want true UST this Epson is not it unlike LG one as it was determined.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't seen those UST projectors live yet, but I own an LS10k and I am sure I would not trade my RLCD against these UST.
The EH-LS10000/10500 are "pro" home cinema projectors from epson, while these UST projectors are not really made for a home cinema experience.

4K alone is not worth it. The LS10k offers much more with it's RLCD technology, superb blacks, settings and options. In fact I love it so much that (in terms of prices) I wouldn't even trade it in for a Sony 760, as the step ups are to marginal in terms of overall quality.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Loosing some? Probably in contrast/black levels, but considerable? I doubt. He would be going from 1080p to 4k, so it's a gain in sharpness at least.

Keep in mind though if you want true UST this Epson is not it unlike LG one as it was determined.

Not quite true 4k but yes, still technically better than 1080p. With that being said do you think that the UST lens on the LG will be better than the LS? I'm doubting it, historically UST lenses are inherently worse regardless anyway which might negate that extra detail in resolution.

81 - 100 of 228 Posts