AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Loosing some? Probably in contrast/black levels, but considerable? I doubt. He would be going from 1080p to 4k, so it's a gain in sharpness at least.

Keep in mind though if you want true UST this Epson is not it unlike LG one as it was determined.
This LS500 and the LS10000 both have 1080p panels and use pixel shifting to display 4k. LS10000 has better panels(lcoq) and probably better lens, so I wouldn't expect any increase in sharpness.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks all - I'm leaning towards the LG as the resolution bump there should help.
The lens and panels etc though are likely to be a step down.
Even if I end up with comparable image I think I'll be ok with that.

That said I may just keep the LS10000 and just go with a 100 inch screen and put up with the projector being right behind viewing position at head level. Noise wise it isn't too bad in eco mode.

Sorry to derail thread :-\

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could be right but not necessarily because of the lens design as it looks exactly like their ELPX02 lens. I am guessing what the LS500 actually is, rushed out the door to compete with the recent UST "TVs", is a modified Prolite L400U chassis with e-Shift enabled and slapped/packaged together with their ELPX02 lens in a single unit.
You could be right about it being based on that chassis but there are a lot of discrepancies, e.g. the airflow in the LS500 seems to be different, the L400U is much smaller, etc. Maybe they raided the parts bin and the L400U had some of what they needed. Even if you're right, according to the review of it on Projector Reviews, it would not be too bad a thing. (Sorry, not allowed to post a link. Too few posts.)

As for the ELPX02 lens, you look to be right. Getting glass like that designed and made is very expensive so raiding the parts bin without using the whole of the ELPX02 makes sense. [Edit: scratch that. The ELPX02 is a £10K lens. They are unlikely to have taken anything from it and the similarities are probably due to design knowledge.]

If it really was a rushed-out-the-door situation, they'd have just upgraded the old LS100. After all, it's a fairly well respected projector, has the same lumens output and probably wouldn't take much to upgrade to e-shift. So my guess is that the ELPX02 lens is much, much better than the lens used in the LS100; that this projector will still have lots of compromises (which projector doesn't?) but that it will be a fairly serious step up from the LS100. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

(Posting after so long because my old PT-AE3000 just died and I'm hunting for a replacement.)

·
Registered
31,236 Posts
does anyone know what make and model of screen is coming with the 100" version?:confused:
It does not say, but I think it is an SI. Also looking at it at CEDIA, it looked like an SI screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Will it be possible to mount this projector on the wall/ceiling to project the image from the top?

If so, can an ALR screen be used when the projector is at the top of the screen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,236 Posts
Hi,

Will it be possible to mount this projector on the wall/ceiling to project the image from the top?

If so, can an ALR screen be used when the projector is at the top of the screen?

Thanks!
An ALR screen would have to be turned upside down, or it would reject the projectors light. With it upside down, it would not be able to reject any light from above, so that could wash out the image. So even if you could ceiling mounted the projector, it would not be as good of a solution as table top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I’ll have to compromise, I don’t think I can place the projector almost 1 meter from the screen to get 120” picture.
In case I’ll have to wall mount it, would you recommend not to get an ALR screen?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess I’ll have to compromise, I don’t think I can place the projector almost 1 meter from the screen to get 120” picture.
In case I’ll have to wall mount it, would you recommend not to get an ALR screen?
Is your ceiling white or otherwise very light in colour?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is very light grey, but there is no problem to paint it in case it’s essential.
If you can paint the ceiling dark then you don't need a CLR screen.

Likewise if you have dark walls surrounding the screen and can black out windows, then you don't need an ALR screen, and could just go with matt white.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Talked to the SI rep yesterday at a open house projector show and he said absolutely it can be used in a ceiling mounted situation if tou don't have ceiling ambient light sources. Now does projector support being hung upside down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Talked to the SI rep yesterday at a open house projector show and he said absolutely it can be used in a ceiling mounted situation if tou don't have ceiling ambient light sources. Now does projector support being hung upside down.
So did they confirm then that the 100" and 120" screen that comes with them is in fact SI's own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The LS100 has the option to flip the image upside down. Wonder if the LS500 will support it.
89cm for 120” is to far for me to be placed on a table, that’s crazy.

·
Registered
31,236 Posts
So did they confirm then that the 100" and 120" screen that comes with them is in fact SI's own?
I do not know if you will ever get confirmation, but as I said, they looked like SI screens. I am 95% sure they are SI screens. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The LS-500B is at home, review will soon follow.
Excellent! I have a bunch of your reviews open in my browser at the moment so it will be good to be able to compare. Quick request: in your other UST reviews, you do not mention performance difference in light versus darkened rooms. Any chance you could do that with the Epson? (Surely I am not the only one interested?)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Excellent! I have a bunch of your reviews open in my browser at the moment so it will be good to be able to compare. Quick request: in your other UST reviews, you do not mention performance difference in light versus darkened rooms. Any chance you could do that with the Epson? (Surely I am not the only one interested?)

My two rooms that I use for the tests are equipped with ALR screens but they are not dedicated dark rooms.

101 - 120 of 228 Posts