AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Two things: Anyone could do me a favour and let me know the distance required for 100" based on the throw ratio advertised for the Epson (0.27 - 0.37:1)? Also, all the online shops somehow are not mentioning 'HDR' capabilities in their listing anymore...the Epson does have some sort of dynamic tone mapping / HDR capabilities, I believe?

EDIT: Think I solved it myself: if the LS100 has the same throw-ratio, then this might help everyone in calculating it!

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_LS100-projection-calculator-pro.htm

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Two things: Anyone could do me a favour and let me know the distance required for 100" based on the throw ratio advertised for the Epson (0.27 - 0.37:1)? Also, all the online shops somehow are not mentioning 'HDR' capabilities in their listing anymore...the Epson does have some sort of dynamic tone mapping / HDR capabilities, I believe?
No DTM but Epson supports HDR10 and has tone mapping just not frame by frame/scene by scene. Only projectors I am aware with dynamic tone mapping are via a firmware update for the JVC RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 and RS3000/NX9 that was just released today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No DTM but Epson supports HDR10 and has tone mapping just not frame by frame/scene by scene. Only projectors I am aware with dynamic tone mapping are via a firmware update for the JVC RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 and RS3000/NX9 that was just released today.

The LG HU85L, BenQ HT3550, BenQ HT5550 have frame by frame tone mapping as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since the distance for 120” is too large for me, I thought of building a shelf mounted to the wall, that can be pulled out (i.e I can push and pull it from the wall).
that way I can push it when no one is watching, and then people can move around freely in the living room, and pull it out for the distance needed to get 120” image when I want to watch.
Do you guys heard of such shelfs/similar ideas? I know it has to be strong when pulling it out because the projector is about 10kg.
The other option is to mount it on the wall to project from above, but I’m not sure that’s possible and might also hurt the effectiveness of an ALR screen.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Over in the Optoma P1 thread, people are considering cabinet hacks or close-to-floor installations just to keep the screen at normal height from the floor. Hopefully that isn’t an issue here. I’ll go a few inches away from the wall, but I only have an 8’ ceiling for the 100” screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing if the throw distance is longer it makes it easier to have less offset. Right now I have the ViewSonic PX800HD. Whatever has the closest offset and TR will likely be my next upgrade. The offset is not often put on the spec sheets so it’s not easy to compare.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Since the distance for 120” is too large for me, I thought of building a shelf mounted to the wall, that can be pulled out (i.e I can push and pull it from the wall).
that way I can push it when no one is watching, and then people can move around freely in the living room, and pull it out for the distance needed to get 120” image when I want to watch.
Do you guys heard of such shelfs/similar ideas? I know it has to be strong when pulling it out because the projector is about 10kg.
The other option is to mount it on the wall to project from above, but I’m not sure that’s possible and might also hurt the effectiveness of an ALR screen.
Thanks!

I found this one : http://www.unnu.nu/function/projektor-skuffe/

·
Registered
28,749 Posts
Cool . Thank you for letting the forum know there are other options as well .

The post was not correct. Frame by frame is dynamic tone mapping. Only way to get that by projector alone is to get an RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 or RS3000/NX9, as you stated in your earlier post. You can add it to some projectors by buying a Lumagen or building a high end HTPC with MadVR. Or wait for the MadVR Envy.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
It is look it up
I believe you might be referring to the review I linked below . The way Art worded the section on HDR Tone Mapping could easily be interpreted as scene by scene dynamic tone mapping.

But the Benq projectors do auto tone mapping not dynamic tone mapping. Their website would certainly make prominent mention of dynamic tone mapping if indeed the 5550 was capable of scene by scene tone mapping.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/benq-ht5550-projector-review-special-features-1/

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/ht5550.html

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The post was not correct. Frame by frame is dynamic tone mapping. Only way to get that by projector alone is to get an RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 or RS3000/NX9, as you stated in your earlier post. You can add it to some projectors by buying a Lumagen or building a high end HTPC with MadVR. Or wait for the MadVR Envy.

Curious why you thought I was wrong? You shouldn’t just assume things. Perhaps, your motivation to sell JVC products at your store is clouding your objectivity.

LG

https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HU85LA-4k-laser-projector?cmpid=sem|HE|Projector|Projector_AON|PDP|Google|2019HEProjector-SEM-Brand_HU85LA|Product_hu85la|k0505|m&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWvug8C4KO2wjeDPpLn_3hHgXu9UZtNKaxFLcVFrg8zCr3hme2VpGy0aAhiXEALw_wcB

BenQ

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/ht3550.html

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
The LG projector does do dynamic tone mapping. The BenQ projectors do not. Seems everybody was right and wrong. Thank you for showing us the LG projector. It has been well received as a projector.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The LG projector does do dynamic tone mapping. The BenQ projectors do not. Seems everybody was right and wrong. Thank you for showing us the LG projector. It has been well received as a projector.

I will admit that while the BenQ certainly suggests that it has Dynamic Tone Mapping it likely doesn’t. The quote “ Dynamic Black analyzes the scenes brightness to optimize light output and contrast” suggests that it does. I concede I was likely duped by cleverly worded marketing material.

Just curious, If they’re analyzing the meta data and shifting the grey scale with the light output in conjunction with the Iris, could it effectively be shifting grey scale the same way dynamic tone mapping does only physically rather than software.

However they do it, BenQ has received a lot of praise for avoiding the strange anomalies that happen with tone mapping meta data issues most other projectors have been plagued with when presenting HDR material.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I will admit that while the BenQ certainly suggests that it has Dynamic Tone Mapping it likely doesn’t. The quote “ Dynamic Black analyzes the scenes brightness to optimize light output and contrast” suggests that it does. I concede I was likely duped by cleverly worded marketing material.

Just curious, If they’re analyzing the meta data and shifting the grey scale with the light output in conjunction with the Iris, could it effectively be shifting grey scale the same way dynamic tone mapping does only physically rather than software.

However they do it, BenQ has received a lot of praise for avoiding the strange anomalies that happen with tone mapping meta data issues most other projectors have been plagued with when presenting HDR material.
I agree they deserve praise for their HDR implementation, however they are doing it. They tend to lack a little in black level and the colors can appear oversaturated without somebody adjustments to gamma but they definitely have stepped up their game. It would be amazing is projector manufacturers collaborated for HDR rather than competed. We could harness all the best ideas in one projector so their could actually be a standard.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I agree they deserve praise for their HDR implementation, however they are doing it. They tend to lack a little in black level and the colors can appear oversaturated without somebody adjustments to gamma but they definitely have stepped up their game. It would be amazing is projector manufacturers collaborated for HDR rather than competed. We could harness all the best ideas in one projector so their could actually be a standard.

Totally agree, I keep seeing 8k stuff at CES, and I’m thinking “can you industry people fix the 4k stuff you released 8+ years ago befofore you take on this whole 8k thing?”

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Totally agree, I keep seeing 8k stuff at CES, and I’m thinking “can you industry people fix the 4k stuff you released 8+ years ago befofore you take on this whole 8k thing?”
I love this comment like Han loved Leia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some places are saying that it’s possible to wall/ceiling mount it and some say it doesn’t.
Can someone tell for sure if it’s a yes or no?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some places are saying that it’️s possible to wall/ceiling mount it and some say it doesn’️t.
Can someone tell for sure if it’️s a yes or no?
Thanks!

The answer is yes.
@kraine already answered your question @Assafzi and they physically have one.
I’ve translated the russian user guide and found this warning about mounting it, can you please explain it’s purpose? https://ibb.co/M66k1Pc
Thanks!

Attachments

141 - 160 of 198 Posts