AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss here so this is a shot in the dark (I'm on my second Epson support ticket), but not sure what else to try.

Bought an Epson PowerLite 3500 Home Cinema projector earlier this year to replace my Panasonic PT-AX200U.

After precisely 1 hour of usage, the projector gracefully shuts down. No temp/warning lights, the status light blinks as it shuts down (like I hit the standby/off button), and then I can turn it back on. Sleep mode is disabled. Epson had me upgrade the firmware on it, same result.

Here's the kicker - they sent a replacement unit, same result.

This would seem to remove the projector itself as the culprit, unless it's some power overload that's triggering the shut down, I don't know. I initially had it on a surge block but removed it at the behest of Epson support to no avail. Previous projector never had this issue.

Anyone have any ideas what to look at here?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Anyone have any ideas what to look at here?
What are you using for a power source in the swamps of Dagobah ? That may be your issue. If you have your light saber or R2 unit recharging from the same power source, there could be a surge that is tricking the projector into thinking there is a brown out.

I doubt it is a projector setting like Sleep, unless they sent you back the same unit as a replacement. It is most likely something plugged into the same electrical circuit -- subwoofer, amp, refrigerator. Or else the HDMI source is kicking off based on a timer and the projector shuts down because the source hiccoughed.

Reactions: Cos

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
If it's exactly 60 minutes every single time it almost certainly has to be a timer somewhere in the system. If the timing varies by a few minutes or more it could be something else. It's possible there may be an electronic device in your home that sends out some kind of signal that triggers the projector shutdown.

One thing you might want to try is covering up the remote receiver eye on the front of the projector to prevent any remote signals from another source from triggering the shutdown process.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do you have your receiver to be shut down at 1 hour?
HDMI-link might be turning off the PJ when the AVR shuts down.

Reactions: Cos and kreeturez

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Make sure you have CEC (The HDMI-link control goes by many different names from manufacturers) My FireTV doesn't allow you to disable it and I had to tape off the pin for CEC in the HDMI cable to get it to stop playing havoc with my other systems. Another device in your system my be going to sleep in just 1 hour shutting off the projector.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys were on the right track!

Actually the 2nd support ticket I created with Epson the engineer assumed I had an Apple TV 4 connected and to disable the sleep timer there. By default it is set to 60 minutes. I disabled the sleep timer there, and since then it has not powered off!

Took me forever because it would occur even when I was using a different source like jamming online on my PS4. Super aggravating when you are in an intense MP game and then *poof*.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You guys were on the right track!

Actually the 2nd support ticket I created with Epson the engineer assumed I had an Apple TV 4 connected and to disable the sleep timer there. By default it is set to 60 minutes. I disabled the sleep timer there, and since then it has not powered off!

Took me forever because it would occur even when I was using a different source like jamming online on my PS4. Super aggravating when you are in an intense MP game and then *poof*.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Or you can turn off the HDMI-link function in the projector.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
HDMI-CEC! Screwing things up for everyone.

Your first post, had I been around for it, I would have made that my absolute first guess. It just is the most obnoxious thing. That's why I will have a job forever.

Glad it is corrected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.