AVS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Congrats! Sounds promising so far. Will look forward to your impressions once you get it all setup the way you want it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds good so far cj, can you tell me where you found for $600. Thats a hundred cheaper than I found. You can Pm me if you want

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv /forum/post/18065346

Minimal screen door. I was quite surprised. Even two feet from it, it was way, way, way better than my old Infocus X1.

Thanks for the update. What was the size of the image were you projecting? Is the screen door visible beyond two feet?

Look forward to some screen shots of your setup.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It was a real quick look before I boxed it back up and took it downstairs just on my wall. Not for sure how big the image was. Rough guess maybe 70-80 inches. I'm gonna wait for my final setup to really give some feedback. Hoping to be done by monday. I'll try to post some pics too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Should be done with my install tonight. Actually decided on placement last night (that was really the hardest part). Tried out all the new cables and got my switch integrated to run both displays. Looking forward to being done. At least I'll have it in time for the super bowl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm just getting started with the HT situation, and have been creeping these forums for a few weeks now. Obviously extremely impressed with all of your setups!

I have had the 705HD for about a month now. Being as this is my first projector, I really have nothing to compare it to, but I find it awesome!

I don't know all the technical aspects of things, but to my lay eye, the "black Levels" seem just fine. My kids can play video games and are enjoying showing off their 100" screen to all their friends. As of yet I haven't had 1 person say to me "geeez that black doesn't look very black"..

So maybe i just hang out with a bunch of blind folks, or it really isn't bad. The one thing i have noticed is the "screen door effect".. if i get within a foot of the image, i can see it. The other wish item is a lens shift. I found that setting the projector up and getting the image exactly where i want it was a bit of a pain having to make minute adjustments with the mount.

So as i said before.. I can't give you a review with all the technical terms that a lot of you folks use, but i can tell you that as a newbie in this HT stuff, I know i am getting the best value for my $650 dollars Canadian..

If anyone has any questions in regards to the projector feel free to ask, and I will give the best answer I can.

Allen

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, Allen, I think you have given an excellent review and it mirrors my own experiences with this and other similar projectors. You don't have to spend a fortune, and the tech specs don't have to be golden, to get a projector that you can enjoy and which will serve you well. I'm biased to the Epson line, but I'm sure the same is true with other brands.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
707 Posts
So I got everything hooked up last night and spent and hour or two with the 705. I have a simple dalite B series pull down with a 1.0 gain about 100 inches. I feed it with a Dish 722, PS3, Xbox 360, and standard Sony dvd player all ran through a Denon 1910 with hdmi scaling set to 720p. The denon has a pretty good anchor bay chip so it seems to work well to scale everything so the Epson doesn't have to. It does seem to be quite important that your sources be set to 720p for best performance as the scaler in the 705 doesn't seem to handle other resolutions very well. Initially I was feeding 1080p and it looked good. Switching to 720p seemed to get rid of some motion artifacts though. I didn't expect a top level scaling chip at this price.

I don't have a calibration disc, so I used the THX optimizer from a standard dvd. Actually most of the settings out of the box were pretty close to what they should be. I run it in theater mode with the auto iris off in the eco setting. So far, I really, really like this projector. Like has been stated, if you are black level crazy, please look elsewhere as that is the one downfall of this projector. Otherwise, it does everything else quite well. It is so nice to be able to sit down in the family room with a light or two on and be able to watch a bright 100 inch screen. Super bowl looked good. The kids watched a movie on netflix streaming and it looked good. Screen door is not noticeable unless you are right up next to the screen. Colors are good. The only time I notice the black levels are when watching letterbox movies. Full screen video and games look great. I have it mounted right above my sitting area and you really don't hear it in eco mode. For the money, I am very happy with my purchase. I didn't expect $2000 performance for $600. I will take the brightness over the black levels any day.

This is not a dedicated home theater projector. For my purpose, though, it is perfect. Watching tv, movies, and playing video games with a light or two on is far better than I expected in this price range. I tried two 720p dlp projectors last year and although I loved the picture, the rainbows drove me crazy. The build quality didn't seem that great either. This is exactly what I have been waiting for. A 720p lcd projector that is bright and won't empty my pockets. The epson warranty doesn't hurt either.

I will try to get some pics posted later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great review, I look forward to Friday when I purchase mine. Although I reallly wont be able to use it til June or July, since it will be for my outdoor theater, but I will be testing it and messing around with it, I will have to try it with my xbox and some call of duty. But its main use will be for outdoor projections. Its sounds like a great $600- $700 projector, and you did not knock it for it shortfalls and not trying to compare it to a $2000 pj.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nice review, cjsiv, thanks. The Epson line is known for its crappy scaling and deinterlacing- far better to feed it a 720p signal. Even more expensive models have this failing. Luckily it's not much of an issue, since most DVD players have good up-scaling now and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, Roku, and other digital media players can output native 720p.

Glad this worked out for you -- enjoy!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk /forum/post/18093333

Great review, I look forward to Friday when I purchase mine. Although I reallly wont be able to use it til June or July, since it will be for my outdoor theater, but I will be testing it and messing around with it, I will have to try it with my xbox and some call of duty. But its main use will be for outdoor projections. Its sounds like a great $600- $700 projector, and you did not knock it for it shortfalls and not trying to compare it to a $2000 pj.

I think this unit should be great for gaming, let us know what you think. Should also do well outdoors, I'd guess. I was at a friends who set up an Epson (older model) outdoors on his deck and it was pretty cool. Have never done that myself.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Finally got all the quirks straightened out. Thought I was having issues with my 50 ft hdmi cable as bluray had horizontal tearing of the picture. Checked settings and it was displaying 1080p at 24fps. Switched to 720p and all was good. Later everything defaulted to 1080p. I thought I was losing my mind. Turns out, to make a long story short, it looks fine with 1080p signals too. The cause for the problem was my ps3 was set to "auto" for 24fps compatibility. If I put in a bluray disc that supported it, it would automatically override the ps3 and denon output settings and force 1080p/24fps which was causing the tearing. Turned it to "off" and all is good. So either 720p or 1080p signals look good to me as long as they are 60 fps.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Here's some pics of my sanctuary. Started out as a concrete basement when we bought the house. Did everything myself with a some help of family and friends. I think the $16 monoprice mount is actually pretty nice. I'm not the best photographer but I tried to include some screenshots of the 705:

·
Registered
707 Posts
....And more screenshots....I'll try to maybe show some gaming later.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv /forum/post/18100072

Here's some pics of my sanctuary. Started out as a concrete basement when we bought the house. Did everything myself with a some help of family and friends. I think the $16 monoprice mount is actually pretty nice. I'm not the best photographer but I tried to include some screenshots of the 705:

Very cool place man! Me jealous

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@cjsiv

Yes, the key is to avoid any interlaced signals to your projector. Glad you got it all straight.

re: Pics -- Very nice - beautiful paneling. Nice Guitars (I play a little). Me jealous, too. I'm hoping to be able to do my detached garage this spring -- dreams of a man cave. Won't be as nice as your pics, but will be dark, quiet, and comfortable.

Enjoy, dude!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please guys I need to help. Have anyone from you tried both Epson Home Cinema 705HD and Optoma HD65.

I was searching for review on those two PJ for months and still have not decided witch one to chose.

I made a little list of pron and cons and, look what I got

Epson pros: 2 year warranty, 4000 lamp life, brighter

cons: less contrast, max resolution 1600:1200, no 1080P.

Optoma pros: better contrast, 1080P, max resol 1920:1080(witch is cool I think)

cons: 2000 lamp life, 1 year warranty, lots of hardware problems(according to all review I have found)

The primary use is for watching movies. I read the reviews on projectorreviews and comparing the picture that they made with those projectors, Optoma far better than the Epson. Is it true?

Lets thing that the price is the same. Witch one you would recommend me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please guys I need your help. Have anyone from you tried both Epson Home Cinema 705HD and Optoma HD65.

I was searching for review on those two PJ for months and still have not decided witch one to chose.

I made a little list of pron and cons and, look what I got

Epson pros: 2 year warranty, 4000 lamp life, brighter

cons: less contrast, max resolution 1600:1200, no 1080P.

Optoma pros: better contrast, 1080P, max resol 1920:1080(witch is cool I think)

cons: 2000 lamp life, 1 year warranty, lots of hardware problems(according to all review I have found)

The primary use is for watching movies. I read the reviews on projectorreviews and comparing the picture that they made with those projectors, Optoma far better than the Epson. Is it true?

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemon87 /forum/post/18108737

It's simple - what is more important to you? If you are more concerned with reliability and support than go for the Epson, if you are more concerned with better picture quality go with the Optoma.

Personally I find the Epson unacceptable for watching movies, I can only recommended it for playing video games and watching sports or cartoons.

I wouldn't worry too much about the max resolutions... They are both 720 projectors (well the Epson is not exactly that either).

81 - 100 of 513 Posts