AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that I recently purchased an S1, and love it! It is currently on sale for $100 off at Canadian Future Shop stores - $1399.

Now that I have been enjoying 120" movies in my dedicated HT room, I could never go back to a small big-screen TV :) For those on a budget, I highly reccomend the S1, it's well built, and the picture quality is fantastic for the money. Everyone who has watched movies at my house has been thoroughly impressed.

I am dissapointed that there is not more discussion in this forum about the S1 :( I know at least a few people are using it, so come on - let's share some tips and tweaks. I would love to get into the Service Menu to do some tweaking, but have not been able to find the code - anyone have it?

I can't stop thinking about my new FP HT - I daydream at work about which movie I will watch when I get home, instead of getting my work done :D It's almost an illness, but I love it. I have been upgrading my home theatre room bit by bit to optimize for a FPTV. I have hung dark navy blue curtains around my screen to give it a movie theatre appearance, and am now working on hanging something on the white walls to reduce reflections.

I guess I should get back to work, now ;)

· Registered
217 Posts
You can also get an X1 for (CAN) $ 1499.- shipped from AVDeals.

I am not familiar with the Epson - but if you buy the X1 now, you get for free 3 years of additional warranty ( in addition to the standard 2 years) - so that may be worth the premium. Also I would suspect that the PQ is better on the X1 when using the Faroudja chip...

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a pretty good deal, if you want an X1.

I lurked in these forums for many weeks before making my projector purchase. There are so many variables, and so many different opinions, that it is difficult to make a decision. These are the main reasons I went with the Epson S1 (in order from most to least important):

Rainbow effects bother me so it had to be LCD.

Future Shop has a 30 day return policy (no limits, no restocking fee).

Favourable review on ProjectorCentral and in Forum.

Cost of projector.

Cost of replacement bulb ($200 - wow).

Decent warranty (2 Years - next day replacement).

Quietness.

I know this projector's shortcomings, but it meets my needs (desires) well. I'm hoping other S1 owners will start sharing experiences/tips/tweaks here.

· Registered
718 Posts
Costco also carries this projector for about the same price as the FS discounted price, possibly even less now. Earlier this summer they had a $150 off coupon but that has long since disappeared.

· Registered
113 Posts
I have been a little frustrated about the lack of reviews and info about this model. I'm probably going to buy one. Originally looked at the X1, but my wife and I both found the Rainbows distracting. The only thing that really bothers me about the S1 is the lack of optical zoom, so if you have to use the digital zoom to get the image to fit the screen you are loosing resolution. But the Sanyo Z1 and others are out of my price range, so I am just checking out the Epson EMP TW10 (Sold as the Home 10 in North America) but I think that could end up out of the price range, and once again there is very little around in the way of reviews etc.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the lack of optical zoom is a bit inconvenient. I had to play around quite a bit to get the projector in position to make the screen the size I wanted. Adjusting the digital keystone also reduces the size of the picture a bit, so I had to factor that in when finding a suitable location. Right now the 'platform' for the projector protrudes from over the back of my couch, so only shorter people can sit in the middle seat :)

If you are going to ceiling mount the S1, then that may make it easier to get it positioned. I am considering doing that - then I wouldn't have to use the digital keystone correction, and would get the max resolution possible.

· Registered
1 Posts
Got me an S1 from Future Shop, and love it. I will be putting together a DIY screen covered with ME and once complete I will try and post pics. I think it is awsome. I bought a VGA to Component cable and have my xbox running on it and it looks amazing on a beige painted wall, gaming, movies, tv, all of it looks great. Can't wait to make the screen. Only think I wish it had was more then one component input.

· Registered
19 Posts
I bought the EPSON S1 for $ 999.00 CA$, when it first came out @ Best Buy, I am dissapointed with it due to zoom issue, and that aspect ratio,

it appears that you cannot change , or strech the image, while watching

DVD'S.

The Colour is also a little hazy than the X1.

I returned it back, the likelyhood would be the Z2 .( WOULD BE WORTH THE ADDITIONAL MONEY.)

that's my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.