AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread that nobody liked yesterday. Essentially, I was/am ready to buy the Panasonic L300u, which now sells for $1800-$2000 pretty much everywhere, and has gotten stellar reviews. While not native HD, it has an easier time scaling, but I don't know if that just means that it can use a simpler algorithm or that it will result in better PQ that looks better than its native resolution. Also, at least theoetically, the Epson should look much better since it has a much higher native resolution. Does that mean the Panny will not show true HD and getting OTA and Dish HD will not yield a PQ that's even close to even an RPTV with native HD?? Has anyone seen the Epson and can they tell me what they thought of the PQ, black levels, color saturation, noise of fan, etc.?? Plleeeassse? I want to make a decision between these two in the next week.

For the money, I decided the Panny is right for me. The Epson is a little apples to oranges. But the price is now not so far off as to be out of consideration, where for instance, a Marantz unit I saw at the Atlanta Home show this week-end was great, but for $10k I couldn't even consider it. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, the difference in pixel resolution will show when you project HD materials, judging from my side-by-side comaprisons (see the "Tokyo side-by-side" thread). I disagree with ProjectorCentral's review on this.

Also, have you considered the Sony HS10? It has slightly higher pixel count than the TW100, and in-between the Panny and Epson pricewise.

At any rate, only you can answer the question: "Is projector A worth the additional $XXX compared to projector B?" And I guess that is why people were hesitant to respond your other thread... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the epson tw100 and have had it for almost a year. It is awesome. If you can control the lighting in the room then you will be all set. It is plenty bright enough for some light but a dark room makes for a great picture. HDTV is unbelievable and that is with my crappy cable HD. I use this projector for just about anything. I watch standard TV all the ways up to HDTV, Play video games and watch DVD's. Its good for all. Just turn out lights and you would think you where at the movies. A good screen also helps out. I use the cinema pro from DA-Lite but this projector still looks good on the wall. I am a bit limited in my throw distance so I only have a 92 diagonal. Kinda small ;) but it will have to do until I can convince the landlord to let me knock down some walls. Well hope this helps.

Tim

·
Registered
318 Posts
mandarax, you mentioned that "You can now get a free bulb with the TW100 so you can put that into the equation."

Is this an Epson promotion? Do you have a link to it somewhere?

Thanks,

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vincanity
mandarax, you mentioned that "You can now get a free bulb with the TW100 so you can put that into the equation."

Is this an Epson promotion? Do you have a link to it somewhere?

Thanks,
Ditto. Everyone I have talked to says the TW100s are just a few days away. I haven't heard anything about the free bulb though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nahtanoj

Does that mean the Panny will not show true HD and getting OTA and Dish HD will not yield a PQ that's even close to even an RPTV with native HD??

From my extremely limited knowledge on the subject...

I don't think any PJ today will show 'true HD' - isn't HD resolution like 1920 x 1080 ?

What the 300 does is pick a multiplier of it so the scaling is very smooth. I just added HD yesterday to my 300 - it looks fantasic, better than DVDs on some channels. (temporarily on a $4.98 peice of 5x7 vinyl) - the only complaint I have is a single set of component inputs (but my incoming HTPC will take care of that).

I went through a lot of what you describe. I acutally started with a 7k budget until I started reading here and seeing projectors out. I'll probably be posting more about my shopping expieriences soon but the bottom line was I realized I could be WOW'd (as Sushi says!) by a sub 2k PJ so I went with it. I figured I could dump it after a year if it just wasn't working or something much better came out.

As someone who usually regrets most large purchases (I was a mess after I bought my boat) I can say I don't regret this one at all.

-Mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've viewed this unit as well and was very impressed. As you can see from the details we are in the land "downunder" so have slightly different DVD/SD/HD resolutions.

sushi - as you have been able to do some very good comparisons would like your feedback, as well as anybody else, based upon the fact that we will be running DVD via Component (NTSC @ 480i & PAL @ 540i), SD tv @ 576i, HD tv @ 576p/720p/1080i both via RGB, with a screen size of 72"->80" how do you think would this unit perform when compared to the AE300 & HS10 in the scaling and overall performance.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My personal opinions have not changed from what I stated in the thread I linked above. My assessment is that the Faroudja/DCDi deinterlacer on the Epson/Yamaha does a superior job than the Sony and Panasonic. But the difference is by no means dramatic. Also, I understand that the Sony deinterlacer (at least the one on the VW12HT) has some problems specific to the PAL format.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.