AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Sony is gouging us here in Scandinavia, as the Epson (priced virtually identically to the Sony in Japan, apparently) costs a full 1000 euros less to purchase over in Sweden.

I've been reading threads and doing searches, but I'm still not entirely certain how these two compare. I know they are both in about the same league, so to speak; high resolution native wide projectors with LCD panels and good internal processing.

How would a comparison shake out though? How's the highly important issue of black level between these two? Is there, in fact, any reason to pay 1000 euros more for the Sony?

Would appreciate opinions on the topic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I had done thorough searches but I tried again with different search terms and found more info. Looks like these machines are very comparable in most respects, but the TW100 has better contrast... if I am reading things correctly. The Epson is looking like the better deal, I guess. Not very attractive though... but I'll be looking at the screen, not the projector. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kimmo,

The price of 11HT and TW100 is very similar where I bought my projector. I switched from 10HT (which I've used for about 1 year and tweaked using the SMART II method).

Even with the similar price, I chose TW100 for better contrast and colour saturation. If there's a price difference, to me there's no comparison betw 11HT and TW100: the obvious choice is TW100.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had found the first link but not the second. Hmm, I notice a lot of AE100-owners commenting they had made the right choice. I wonder if that is because they have made the right choice or because they want to either justify their decision or avoid making a decision that would cost money? ;)

I'm just a cynic, I guess.

But ok, I guess the TW100 just moved up a notch on the shortlist, especially taking into consideration the price difference over here.

I also like a lot what I read about contrast and black level on the Epson, that's the one thing about LCD projectors in general that scares me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMHO, it depends on whether you already owned a projector. I used to have a NEC VT440 (SVGA-LCD), which I sold to a friend and got the Panny because of its 16/9-panels. I returned the Panny because I wasn't satisfied. I wanted more and now have an Epson on order. I think, if you never owned a FP, the Panny will blow you away... however, if you already owned a SVGA FP and want to UPgrade, I think you have to spend more money:( I wish I did like the panny, really!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually never owned a projector yet but have used the company one for quite a few hours at home (generously enough I was given permission to take it home weekends and evenings if I wanted to. I wanted to. :D ). It's an XGA machine with really bad black levels and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but based on it and viewing projectors like the Sony VW10, I doubt I could live with an AE100 due to the screendoor.

I'd also prefer to be able to just hook up component video to the projector and be thrilled, so that alone pretty much rules out the AE100. I may go HTPC but I don't want to be forced to use a HTPC to be satisfied, so the TW100 with DCDi processing seems more and more likely to wind up on my ceiling.

I once swore a holy oath that no LCD projector would ever be purchased by me, but... with the Sharp and Marantz wide DLP's costing over 100% more than the Epson over here they just aren't realistic for me to contemplate.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know the throw distance data for the TW100?

Distance to back wall is 3.8 meters, so I'm wondering what size screen I should get. I'd like to go big, of course...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kimmo,

My TW100 is about 12 ft (4m) away from the screen. My screen size is 92" dia (16:9).

I think the image size at that distance can be anywhere from about 80" to about 100" dia (16:9).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds about right, I did some more digging as this is a crucial issue and finally found the PDF manual on an Epson web page.

With a 100 inch screen (220 cm x 120 cm) the minimum distance is 3.1 meters. The screen size I was thinking about was 240xwhatever the height is.

Maximum distance to place the projector, near the rear wall, is 3.8 meters. I would prefer no further back than 3.5 meters since I want it to have "room to breathe".

220 cm / 3.1 = 70.97 inches at 1 meter at minimum zoom.

So, at 3.5 x 70.97 (that is the minimum size at one meter) should mean a maximum screen width of 248 cm if the projector is placed 3.5 meters back - so I can fit in a 240cm screen with an 8cm margin. :)

Would that be too close? I'm sitting very close to the rear wall, ie 3 m from the screen or so in this setup.

Would a 200cm wide screen be a better call for this projector and my room? It doesn't have a super hot lumen rating either so keeping it smaller might be an idea.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I keep answering my own questions... write them down, then get too impatient so I start doing wild web searches. :p

Screen width = distance/1.8664, is a formula I found. That gives a 60 degree arc or 30 degrees to the right and left of you as your field of view.

So if my seating distance is 3 m, 3/1.8664 = 1.60 meters. 240 cm in other words would be way overkill whereas 2 meters would be just a tad "too big"... but of course personal preference has to count into that calculation as well.

Well, not much discussion going on in this thread at the moment, just me talking to myself :D but hopefully someone else may find this at least mildly interesting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did find an app to calculate throw distances but it was too old, the TW100 wasn't included in the database you got with the program. Haven't found a data file for it anywhere either.

It was not the file mentioned above, that is not a program to calculate throw distances. I forget where I found the one I used (not important since it was outdated).

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Kimmo Jaskari

At first - choose the epson modell, it will be the better unit - belive me,

The throw distance - please give me more details - max. width of the screen- than I can tell you in which distance you have to place the TW 100

At a format 16:9 to get width of 2m of the screen, the minimum of prejection distance will be 2.80m

hb

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops, sorry... already have ordered it and am awaiting delivery, I came to that conclusion also. Just re-read this thread and added that info about the throw distance calculator. Thanks, though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.