AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just installed the epson and had a little time to test some movies through my toshiba hd-a1 via hdmi. Both SD and HD disc look terrific. This seems like a fantastic projector.....so far everything has been stock presets with the DI turned on. I will say after owning a tw700/810 that the only drawback so far is that the iris is a little noisy. After more time tweaking and playing, I will give a more detailed review.

pt300,hs-10,hs-20,plv-70,hs-51,plvz4,ax100,tw700,tw1000

carada 106" bright white 1.4 gain

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10flyer /forum/post/0

hey guys, just installed the epson and had a little time to test some movies through my toshiba hd-a1 via hdmi. Both SD and HD disc look terrific. This seems like a fantastic projector.....so far everything has been stock presets with the DI turned on. I will say after owning a tw700/810 that the only drawback so far is that the iris is a little noisy. After more time tweaking and playing, I will give a more detailed review.

pt300,hs-10,hs-20,plv-70,hs-51,plvz4,ax100,tw700,tw1000

carada 106" bright white 1.4 gain

Congrats! Very anxious to hear your review as I am considering the set too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
great to see the 2nd here with the TW1000 (aka 1080 Pro Cinema)

Do you have any chance to test 1080P24 (1080 @ 24 or 38 frames per second)

I would be very interested to hera whether the TW1000 can display that without any problems?!?

I assure you my jelousy

How do you rank tha black level compare to the 810? Can you also comment on the brightness?

Would be very interested in your opinion.

rgds Jo

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
definitely interested in how the black level and contrast compare to your previous projectors. How grey or black is it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/0

definitely interested in how the black level and contrast compare to your previous projectors. How grey or black is it?

The blacks are personally the best I have seen on lcd....noticed the difference right away...not perfect but defitnitley not grey....shadow detail has noticably improved and contrast is great......its is a different experience than the d5+ panels, sometimes I cant explain exactly what it is other than the obvious better contrast, blacks, etc. maybe its the response time?.. its just easier on the eyes..im still trying to break it down and give you guys more feedback.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
very interesting...can you be more specific about the noise of the iris? I have an AX100 and have never heard the iris, so don't even know what this sounds like.

for me, this Epson may be the only competitor to the RS1, and I am surprised there is not more discussion of it.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Sounds cool. I wonder if we will see the 3 or 4 1080p LCD projectors compared some time soon. How does this Epson compare to the Mitsubishi I wonder?

·
Registered
138 Posts
flyer,

Envy you. By the way, who did you buy this from? if it is direct from Japan what method of payment did you use? how long did you have to wait for the projector after placing an order? I wonder AVS guys would carry this unit. It is very tempting to order from Japan and save $2000.00.

Waiting to hear more of your personal experience with 1.3 HDMI, please if you can post few screen shots.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRaoof /forum/post/0

flyer,

Envy you. By the way, who did you buy this from? if it is direct from Japan what method of payment did you use? how long did you have to wait for the projector after placing an order? I wonder AVS guys would carry this unit. It is very tempting to order from Japan and save $2000.00.

Waiting to hear more of your personal experience with 1.3 HDMI, please if you can post few screen shots.

Thanks

Eastporters......using paypal....great service! Tokyo to Minneapolis= 3 days!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Weird. Last time I checked, at least for the Mitsubishi, it's not a $2000 savings. Importing is a good way to go for a lot of people, but thoroughly shop around domestically before deciding. I bought from Japan a couple of times, so I agree it is a worthy option to consider, although there are risks.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10flyer /forum/post/0

The blacks are personally the best I have seen on lcd....noticed the difference right away...not perfect but defitnitley not grey....shadow detail has noticably improved and contrast is great......its is a different experience than the d5+ panels, sometimes I cant explain exactly what it is other than the obvious better contrast, blacks, etc. maybe its the response time?.. its just easier on the eyes..im still trying to break it down and give you guys more feedback.

Could you elaborate more about the noisy iris? How close you have to be to get irritated by it? What does it sound like, and is it there constantly?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I second Aceman's request. What DO you think of its brightness? Epson seems to come VERY close to meeting their ANSI lumen output specs. For example, ProjectorCentral lists the following calibrated brightest mode ANSI lumens for the following PJs:

Panasonic PT-AE1000U Rated 1100 Measured 500 (45%)

Mitsubishi HC5000 Rated 1000 Measured 532 (53%)

BenQ W10000 Rated 1200 Measured 650 (54%)

Optoma HD81 Rated 1400 Measured 655 (47%)

Epson Cinema 810 Rated 1600 Measured 1390! (87%)

Epson Cinema 400 Rated 1600 Measured 1365! (85%)

Epson Cinema 550 Rated 1400 Measured 950! (68%)

Epson PowerLite 745c Rated 2500 Measured 2000+ (80%+)

Judging by these numbers, the TW1000 could potentially blow the HD81 and W10000 out of the water in terms of brightness in Dynamic mode! The above Epsons are producing 80-87% of their rated lumen output (except the Cinema 550)! So the TW1000 may potentially do 960-1050 in dynamic mode!!!

Please let us know if you've compared its brightness to any of the above projectors or any other projector with a known measured lumen output from PJC or other reputable site.

David

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Just a quick note on the lumen values noted. Almost all projectors with zoom lenses vary in their brightness depending on how much zoom is applied - this is due to the changing aperture of a zoom lens. In addition, the lamps in projectors dim as they age, the rate of which can be rapid and significant. Thus, unless you are comparing projectors with fresh lamps as well as set up with their zooms set in a similar manner, i.e., maximum or minimum zoom, comparing lumen outputs is futile. Finally, lumen outputs should only be compared following proper colour calibration, unless of course your goal is maximum light output and to hell with coloour accuracy. While PJC makes for entertaining reading, I would not place much emphasis on their lumen values given the above. Far better and more technical reviews are offered by Greg Rogers at Widescreen Review or Cine4home.de Projectorreviews.com also offers pretty good reviews. All of these reviewers tend to discuss factors such as zoom setting, lamp age, and colour accuracy, and report their lumen numbers accordingly.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I am so close to importing one of these.

Importing from Japan has always been fairly painless for me.

I have never had any issues, except DOA once and it was taken care of quickly.

I'll bet this is one heavily imported item this year. The price almost seems to good to be true. It just seems like everything I ever wanted in a Projector rolled into one.

I wonder if I could get another person to order one with me to gain some haggling advantages?

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Any reviews of this puppy? What is the iris like?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the Epson 810 now and will have the 1080/tw1000 later this week or early next week. Reviews of both will follow shortly. I've posted a mini review of the 810 in the CIH forum under the PT-AE1000U thread.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.