AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I been reading the forums about Equalizing for the sub woofer. Most people say it does help to get more out of the sub woofer performance wise.

Now,I am thinking of buying a eq for my sub woofer. Are there certain brands look for,for a newbie? and that doesn't cost $300-$500 dollars?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
It is, imho, better, especially for a newbie, to get an AVR or prepro with a good roomEQ for all channels including the sub. In fact, one can get a new AVR for little more than the cost of a decent dedicated sub EQ. I would recommend one of the Denon units with MultEQ (AVR-590, AVR689) although there are Onkyo and Marantz AVRs with similar capabilities. Some have also recommended Yamaha and Pioneer AVRs (with their EQs, YPAO and MCACC, respectively) but do not have any first-hand experience with them.

The cheapest sub EQ route would be to get a Behringer BFD but setting it up properly requires other software/hardware and a bit of learning.

(Edited when I realized he was asking for a solution for less than $300-500, instead of one within that range.)

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16993480

First, it is, imho, better to get an AVR or prepro with a good roomEQ for all channels including the sub.

Second, in your price range, the easiest and most effective is the AntiMode 8033. It is not tweakable but it does work well.

Maybe you read his post a little quickly. He said he DIDN'T want to spend $300-$500.

Which AVR can you get for less than $300 that has good EQ for all channels including the subwoofer?

The 8033 costs about $350 with all expenses. This is also out of his price range, unless you know where they can be found for less than $300.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm,i guess ill have to open my budget.

I have a excellent receiver now and hate to upgrade to another unit.

But,I'll take a look at the antimode 8033. I kinda want stay away from buying a newer receiver since i love my pio elite 92.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/16994112

Hm,i guess ill have to open my budget.

I have a excellent receiver now and hate to upgrade to another unit.

But,I'll take a look at the antimode 8033. I kinda want stay away from buying a newer receiver since i love my pio elite 92.

I have the Pio '94 and use the Anti Mode for my sub. I would say that the Anti Mode was the best buy for me as I really don't like to tweak things to death. Time is money so the choice is something that is fully automatic (Anti Mode) or cheaper (Feedback Destroyer or SMS-1) and takes several hours of learning.

Bill

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16994002

Maybe you read his post a little quickly. He said he DIDN'T want to spend $300-$500.

Which AVR can you get for less than $300 that has good EQ for all channels including the subwoofer?

The 8033 costs about $350 with all expenses. This is also out of his price range, unless you know where they can be found for less than $300.

You are correct. I do read too quickly. I will amend my post.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a barely used eD eq2 for sale. $80 shipped firm. Msg me if interested.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO /forum/post/16994811

Another choice would be the Elemental desiegns EQ-2 Here is a review...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...QAReF6fVCeUKEA

Maybe I'm wrong but don't you need to know where to apply the two PEQ bands before the EQ2 will help?

Seems like you would really need to know how to use REW to get much from the EQ2, and if you are going to learn REW, the Feedback Destroyer for $99 delivered would be much much more flexible.

Or can you just do it by ear or with a meter from Rat Shack?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts