AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR818 but I am having a few problems getting it to sound as good as my old Wintal amplifier, so I am wondering whether anyone here has any suggestions.

When I am playing a SPDIF source (digital coax PCM stereo) the surround speakers are so quiet I can't hear them unless I put my ear right up to them. If I test the speaker levels then the test tone is the same volume from all speakers, and if I enable Audyssey dynamic EQ then the rear speakers jump in volume to match the front ones. But I don't want to use anything dynamic (since I do audio work from time to time and need to hear any imperfections in the source audio), but I still want to be able to hear sound from my rear speakers! The listening mode is "All Ch Stereo" so does anyone know how to make the rear speakers sound at the same level as the front ones, without using Audyssey? Obviously I can't just increase the levels on the rear speakers as then switching Audyssey on will make the rear speakers too loud.

My other issue is that I need to adjust the EQ to compensate for my speakers, however I can only find a six-band EQ that goes to +/- 6dB. Previously I was using a buggy software EQ I want to get rid of, but it had 15 bands and went to +/- 48dB. I need to at least go to -20dB with these speakers, and I need finer control over the bands. Is there some other EQ in there that does this?

I've also noticed that the Onkyo cuts out for about a second whenever the compressor in my fridge turns on. My old Wintal never had this problem - do Onkyos have no filter circuitry on the power supply?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
First of all the Onkyo has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (?) on-board which is (usually) much better in EQ than a manual EQ. I don't understand, why you don't use that instead of the PEQ.

Secondary if your Onkyo is technically OK there is no reason, why the front and the rear channels should not match in level in "All Channel Stereo" mode as long as they are the same speakers models.

There must be something else to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have tried the Audyssey EQ but it makes the audio sound flat in the mid range and there is no way that I can see to adjust it further - the speaker EQ seems to get switched off when the Audyssey EQ is active.

But either way if I am doing audio mastering work, I can't use any sort of dynamic adjustment as the audio file I produce will then sound different on another system. I need the audio output to match the sound my ears are used to, so that when I master audio to match that sound, it will likewise sound correct on another system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts