AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been eq'ing all day long.

Measure them all, and make sure they sum correctly via phase and timing, and then make sure they are flat-ish.

The red line is the end result for all the subs:

A slight house curve on the LCR's so as not to blow up the tweeters during high SPL.

Just finished, well sort-of... this is just the rough eq'ing in of everything. Now I can make fine adjustments if I want (not sure if I want/need to though...)
Gonna run with this for now and see how this does.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Lol @ 2Hz.

To think I was cutting my graphs off today at 10Hz... :mad:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just curious, apart from the 29 subs, do you run 7.1? 5.1? higher? atmos?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Why not use MSO?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Vince is so right....I mean a full 10db drop from 6hz down to 2hz? So disappointing BTH!

Lol awesome love 29 subs integration. Can we get a reading at say 125db in the bass range for fun? Any distortion down low?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, apart from the 29 subs, do you run 7.1? 5.1? higher? atmos?
Right now I'm running 7.1, but in 2019 it will be 7.1.4

All I need to do is build the heights, and then get a 9905 or RMC-1 or whatnot. Already have the amps for the heights in my rack.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Down 10 dB at 2 hz? Are you gonna stop there like that’s, acceptable?
Vince is so right....I mean a full 10db drop from 6hz down to 2hz? So disappointing BTH!
I know right!

Gonna need MUCH MORE subwoofers for that much headroom at 2hz. LOL! :D
24 24's it is! :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Right now I'm running 7.1, but in 2019 it will be 7.1.4

All I need to do is build the heights, and then get a 9905 or RMC-1 or whatnot. Already have the amps for the heights in my rack.
Nice. I found 7.1 wasnt really a huge upgrade from 5.1, but my speakers are placed in such ways that I cant localize the rear surrounds that much. And I dont know if its where I sit or how my denon x4000 upmix's 5.1 to 7.1 but I constantly have to change the amp to 5.1 on 5.1 movies because 7.1 gives me really strange echo's. Hopefully your atmos upgrade is noticeable!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The FP's are -3db @ 2hz.
It's only down 6.7db at 2hz from the target level.

Being flat to 2hz isn't a problem, all i'd have to do is apply a 2hz PEQ boost of 7db.
:D

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice. I found 7.1 wasnt really a huge upgrade from 5.1, but my speakers are placed in such ways that I cant localize the rear surrounds that much. And I dont know if its where I sit or how my denon x4000 upmix's 5.1 to 7.1 but I constantly have to change the amp to 5.1 on 5.1 movies because 7.1 gives me really strange echo's. Hopefully your atmos upgrade is noticeable!
7.1 is a huge deal in my room IMO, I have closer to ideal placement for them.

The rear ambiance really adds a nice touch, especially with horror movies...

Out of all the movies that I recall playing on my system, Man of Steel and Star Trek has been the best recorded beds for overall SQ and bass levels.
A lot of movies have really weak bass or missing bass, or everything is at the wrong levels (screechy dialog).
IMO the levels of the center dialog and LFE are supremely critical.
It's literally the difference between a 100kW system and a Bose module. :p

Interstellar and Life of PI are also fairly well recorded.

I hate it when I have to re-calibrate my levels to every different movie that I play. Almost makes a person want to rip their hair out, and then rip the movies to PCM/MKV and remaster them properly! :p

What can't mixer mix properly? :confused:

Take Thor Ragnarok for example, you can literally hear that they used crappy mics for some actors and scenes, and good ones for the main characters. Some scenes have no bass in it, where there should be boat-loads...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a better idea....move every speaker/sub cab in as close as possible to one recliner then kick back and have your internal organs and eardrums destroyed! It'll be like wearing headphones on your whole body.
This will require that you either have to climb over cabs to fall into the recliner or move cabs and crawl into position.
Did I mention that you'll need a 3D headset to watch the movie!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
29 subs and the response isn't even flat?

You'd likely have better luck EQing as a whole after you've time aligned and applied any filtering you need, otherwise you're going to have subs canceling each other due to phase issues.
Phase cancellation is the bane of my existence and I only have 3 subs in my setup.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts