AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
EOT intro is my go-to movie for calibrating my ULF levels.

I'll just leave this here... /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGDSu45AU7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpDHigsGkQ
That's not much excursion going on! My subs with PR's jump out of their skins from start to finish on that scene....you need to EQ it for total destruction (or close to it).
Consider 29 subs with that excursion all at once. That's how you get high output with low distortion. He's not overworking anything, I can relate to that mind set.

·
Registered
244 Posts
7.1 is a huge deal in my room IMO, I have closer to ideal placement for them.

The rear ambiance really adds a nice touch, especially with horror movies...

Out of all the movies that I recall playing on my system, Man of Steel and Star Trek has been the best recorded beds for overall SQ and bass levels.
A lot of movies have really weak bass or missing bass, or everything is at the wrong levels (screechy dialog).
IMO the levels of the center dialog and LFE are supremely critical.
It's literally the difference between a 100kW system and a Bose module. :p

Interstellar and Life of PI are also fairly well recorded.

I hate it when I have to re-calibrate my levels to every different movie that I play. Almost makes a person want to rip their hair out, and then rip the movies to PCM/MKV and remaster them properly! :p

What can't mixer mix properly? :confused:

Take Thor Ragnarok for example, you can literally hear that they used crappy mics for some actors and scenes, and good ones for the main characters. Some scenes have no bass in it, where there should be boat-loads...
On the bolded, they desperately need your help over at Disney for the Marvel releases on BD and 4K, lol. I just subscribed to you YouTube channel. That setup is insane!!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Why so many different boxes? Just make them all ported or all sealed, have 20 up front and the other 9 in the back to make the eq process a little easier. do you have room in the back of your HT for that. Maybe build a baffle wall with all the drivers and mains in the front to save some space take it to the ceiling with the subs

·
Registered
287 Posts
What can't mixer mix properly? :confused:

Take Thor Ragnarok for example, you can literally hear that they used crappy mics for some actors and scenes, and good ones for the main characters. Some scenes have no bass in it, where there should be boat-loads...
This. Sometimes I watch a movie and everything sounds awesome. Then I pop in the next one and I'm like wtf do I need to turn up the LFE here? Why? And eventually realize that some scenes just have NO bass, and they should have tons, like explosions etc.

And then in others, like Jurassic World, every dino footstep or door slam shakes my house and it gets annoying lol

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Which star trek movie are you referring to? Beyond has some good lfe.

Infinity war was better then I expected. The donut ship crash shook me.

I went to all sealed subs from my horn and haven't looked back. Sealed and horn and ported really don't play nice together.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bass, most of us can't even get 29 subs in the HT, lol. I have enough trouble EQ'ing 8, you are the man!
12 is my limit, and like you I've found that to be enough trouble as it is. I can't imagine all the struggles BassThatHz has to go through for 29 of them, let alone the time involved to do each and every necessary process correctly. :eek:

Just think of what he'd have to do when he makes it an even 30. :p

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Which star trek movie are you referring to? Beyond has some good lfe.

Infinity war was better then I expected. The donut ship crash shook me.

I went to all sealed subs from my horn and haven't looked back. Sealed and horn and ported really don't play nice together.
Beyond is awful bass wise. I think there's only one or two semi decent scenes. He's talking about the first Star Trek. The only one with a well done score.

You can get horns and sealed and ported to play nicely together. All it takes is time and the ability to set delays. @lukeamdman has gotten his Othorns to play nicely with sealed, and now with ported. It can be done, it just takes work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: lukeamdman

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
29 subs and the response isn't even flat?

You'd likely have better luck EQing as a whole after you've time aligned and applied any filtering you need, otherwise you're going to have subs canceling each other due to phase issues.
At this point I've only time aligned them and brought up the

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've been eq'ing all day long.

Measure them all, and make sure they sum correctly via phase and timing, and then make sure they are flat-ish.

The red line is the end result for all the subs:

A slight house curve on the LCR's so as not to blow up the tweeters during high SPL.

Just finished, well sort-of... this is just the rough eq'ing in of everything. Now I can make fine adjustments if I want (not sure if I want/need to though...)
Gonna run with this for now and see how this does.
BTH....dude that is seriously impressive. How is the ULF in your room? You're on concrete right?

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
BTH....dude that is seriously impressive. How is the ULF in your room? You're on concrete right?
There is lots, one can easily feel it even on concrete.
If it were on a raised floor or 2nd story it would be brutal, probably almost distractingly so...

Once I build 2 new HzHorn's the ULF will only increase further...

But I've over spent my audio budget for 2018 by miles on the array of Motu's and array of FP's and studio mics, so I'm postponing those boxes until late 2019.
Right now split-AC is on the top of my must-have list. All other upgrades will have to be pushed aside... (4k, Atmos etc...)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Once I build 2 new HzHorn's the ULF will only increase further...
With 29 subs in your space; I think you've reached the point of diminishing returns:eek: You'd be hard pressed to get any more bass out of that room.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Beyond is awful bass wise. I think there's only one or two semi decent scenes. He's talking about the first Star Trek. The only one with a well done score.

You can get horns and sealed and ported to play nicely together. All it takes is time and the ability to set delays. @lukeamdman has gotten his Othorns to play nicely with sealed, and now with ported. It can be done, it just takes work.

Really? The ship dropping out of warp in the beginning of beyond is wall shaking in my room lol.

Which star trek then? The first jj abrams one?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Really? The ship dropping out of warp in the beginning of beyond is wall shaking in my room lol.

There's no ULF in Beyond. It's filtered. See the attached graph. Compared to JJ Abrams Star Trek, which has great single digit ULF, see attached graph also. One of the best sounding movies overall. That's why BTH mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

There's no ULF in Beyond. It's filtered. See the attached graph. Compared to JJ Abrams Star Trek, which has great single digit ULF, see attached graph also. One of the best sounding movies overall. That's why BTH mentioned it.

Well shoot, I'll throw it in. Beyond seemed way better to me, same settings and all.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
First I have to fine-tune my LCR's...

Left speaker first:

^^^
No crossovers

^^^
Crossovers added

^^^
Together and EQ'ed

Now I need to do the same to the Right speaker, and then the Center, and then fine-tune the subs.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The room issues on the right side of the room are really really bad. I managed to beat the nulls into submission though... :p

If this sounds bad I'll just have to undo some of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Any particular reason you use Var smoothing on your subs?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts