AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am starting to get a little more serious about my project. It looks like I will be using a pair of Crown XLS 602s for power. I need to decide on eq. I only need the eq for my subs. They two I am looking at right now are an SMS-1 and the QSC DSP-30. Thoughts? (and don't say... just get a BFD)

I would really like to just use the SMS-1 if it will do what I need it to.

Thanks,

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/0

Hey Eli,

How is the SMS working out? I just thinking of obtaining one as well.

Joe

It working great. Its a nice "all in one" tool.... but it's expensive. Its very flexible and has 9 pands of PEQ and 5 presets.

-Eli

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli /forum/post/0

......It looks like I will be using a pair of Crown XLS 602s for power. I need to decide on eq. I only need the eq for my subs. They two I am looking at right now are an SMS-1 and the QSC DSP-30. Thoughts? (and don't say... just get a BFD)

I would really like to just use the SMS-1 if it will do what I need it to.

Eli,

exactly what is wrong with the BFD? or better yet, since you are running dual sealed 15" brahmas, run a DEQ2496 and use it for both EQ and L/T functionality??

it will give you more resolution than the SMS-1, much broader options and functionality, flexibility, and ultimately performance, at the price of more complicated connectivity and additional tools, setup procedure.

for example:

you could now use multi-banks for different EQ patterns, independently EQ each one of your subs, have as much filtering and shelving as you would need/like between 20-100hz, etc, etc, etc.

yes, it is more equipment and setup: DEQ2496, MobilePre soundcard, M-audio UNO midi connector, Mic, a laptop with REW, etc.

and Yes, the SMS-1 is also a very good one-in-all boxed solution.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/0

Eli,

exactly what is wrong with the BFD? or better yet, since you are running dual sealed 15" brahmas, run a DEQ2496 and use it for both EQ and L/T functionality??

it will give you more resolution than the SMS-1, much broader options and functionality, flexibility, and ultimately performance, at the price of more complicated connectivity and additional tools, setup procedure.

for example:

you could now use multi-banks for different EQ patterns, independently EQ each one of your subs, have as much filtering and shelving as you would need/like between 20-100hz, etc, etc, etc.

yes, it is more equipment and setup: DEQ2496, MobilePre soundcard, M-audio UNO midi connector, Mic, a laptop with REW, etc.

and Yes, the SMS-1 is also a very good one-in-all boxed solution.

Nothing at all is wrong with the Behringer solutions. They have proved to work very well. For this particular setup I wanted an "all in one solution".

The SMS-1 actually has a lot of flexibility. (more than most give it credit for) However, it is limited to 9 PEQs + high and low pass filters. These can all be set independently, along with gain, and saved across 5 presets.

It is only a single channel solution though.....

-Eli

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:

Nothing at all is wrong with the Behringer solutions. They have proved to work very well. For this particular setup I wanted an "all in one solution".

The SMS-1 actually has a lot of flexibility. (more than most give it credit for) However, it is limited to 9 PEQs + high and low pass filters. These can all be set independently, along with gain, and saved across 5 presets.

It is only a single channel solution though.....

-Eli

gotcha.

yeah, the above configuration I posted, which is what I'm gonna use, gives you two channels (for two independent subs *cough* Two Towers *cough*
), 20 band EQ, selectable Filters, and multi bank presets and storage.

another option for your one-box solution could be the new SVS AS-EQ1 audyssey based solution they are bringing soon.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:

another option for your one-box solution could be the new SVS AS-EQ1 audyssey based solution they are bringing soon.

I have already talked to Tom and Ron about it.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L /forum/post/0

What happened to the Buttkicker amp ? your switching ?

Regards,

Jose

This was an old thread before I had purchased anything. It was brought back to life.

However, I do not like the sound of the BK running at 2 ohms. I am using an EP2500 in stereo mode right now.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L /forum/post/0

So you plan on using a single EP2500 or will you get another ?

Regards,

Jose

I may get a second down the road after I get the drivers in some enclosures that can handle the pressure.

The single EP2500 can dive them to the point that I get "box distortion".

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/0

What is the estimated time to market on the SVS AS-EQ1 ? I've been looking into EQ options myself and a one off solution will be my goal.

You best bet is to email SVS and ask. Last I was told was that it was going to be late 2007. If you can wait, I plan on getting one in here to compare against the SMS-1.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/0

From what I understand it will be significantly more money too. I though I remember hearing figures like $700+. The SMS-1 can be had for

·
Registered
956 Posts

Quote:

yeah, the above configuration I posted, which is what I'm gonna use, gives you two channels (for two independent subs *cough* Two Towers *cough*
), 20 band EQ, selectable Filters, and multi bank presets and storage.

Couple tips FWIW,

If you step up to the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, you'll get MIDI output which can automatically program the filters in the BFD/FBQ2496 (not sure about the DEQ?) with a cheap MIDI cable to the EQ's MIDI input. Very slick.

Another mic alternative is the Nady CM-100. Its the exact same thing as an ECM8000, only a few bucks cheaper.

In my experience, I haven't had good luck with my notebook running M-audio USB soundcards. (I use a Dell 700m) I read somewhere about power management in the Intel mobile CPU being the culprit. I'd get a popping sound every so often with REQW and also with GT Player (realtime guitar processor, which is SWEET by the way for guitar players). Switched over to using a desktop and problems went away. Hopefully you wont have that issue with a newer notebook, but they drove me crazy!

Dr V

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Wall-wart power to the sound card or using a powered USB hub generally gets rid of the problems Dr V described with USB connection. Sometimes it can be as simple as trying a different USB connector on the Notebook.

I would still direct you do the measurement system and separate EQ. I'd recommend the DCX over the DEQ. In the DEQ you're paying for the big front panel display, and the DCX is actually a little more useful/flexible for what you really need to EQ a subwoofer. The DSP-30 is a very reliable unit and has the benefit of not being easy to un-intentionally screw up all the settings you just made, while having 8 presets at a touch of a button, but is more expensive.

I don't believe the SVS EQ will offer anywhere near the user input that you would prefer to have for a DIY subwoofer. It should be a great one-button EQ solution, akin to a more advanced and flexible ARO like JL uses. If that's enough for your needs, then that will be a very simple to use option.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:

FWIW, I have never seen a new SMS-1 under $500 anywhere. Also remember that if it is bought from an unauthorized dealer that there is no warranty.

$599 is the official going rate. Sometimes a see them a little less.

-Eli

Definitely true on the warranty.

I got mine for $475 including shipping. There are some on ebay right now for $510 including shipping and a New York A/V Wholesaler with them for $518 plus.

It just depends on how much you value the warranty aspect of things...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Agreed on the one touch solution approach. I think that is the intent of the Audessey unit. To offer consumers that don't want to manually do anything but get similiar results. Just a different means to a similiar end. I am almost in that same boat, the thought of running a half dozen ore more cables to and from a BFD and laptop and pre-amp etc. is not appealing to me. If it works well it will be sweet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.