AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slave driver on my Sunfire came apart and Sunfire won't even let me buy a replacement driver and wants me to ship the entire unit to be fixed. I was like, there's no electrical hook ups, it's a non-powered slave driver with 8 allen screws and installs in a minute and you want me to ship the entire thing and pay for shipping two-ways for a 1 minute fix? Well hell with them and hell with Sunfire I'll never buy their products again!


Anyway, I need a replacement with about equal power and try to keep it sized about the same. I was looking at the SVS and the 12" is 25" deep!
JL Audio, I dunno, they're ****ing expensive! Hehe... I dunno, what do you guys think? I'd like to get up and running as soon as possible and it seems everything nice has to be ordered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20831075


Excellent sub, but you said you were looking for "equal power." I don't think the Rythmik will touch the Sunfire in output, although it is probably a better sounding sub.

Really? Rythmik doesn't post their SPL I don't think, Sunfire does. Well... I'm really pissed that Sunfire wont even sell me a replacement passive slave driver. Would you say the Def Tech SuperCube1 would be more output than the Rythmik?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m /forum/post/20831095


Really? Rythmik doesn't post their SPL I don't think, Sunfire does. Well... I'm really pissed that Sunfire wont even sell me a replacement passive slave driver. Would you say the Def Tech SuperCube1 would be more output than the Rythmik?

I'm pretty sure the SuperCube can play a good deal louder than the Rythmik. It's a passive radiator design which tends to be more efficient and it has considerably more power. However, you can't really trust Def Tech's specifications. They lie. The Rythmik is likely to be able to reach deeper despite what Def Tech says.


I suggested the SuperCube because it shares similar design characteristics with the Sunfire: Passive radiator, compact size, big power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20831151


I'm pretty sure the SuperCube can play a good deal louder than the Rythmik. It's a passive radiator design which tends to be more efficient and it has considerably more power. However, you can't really trust Def Tech's specifications. They lie. The Rythmik is likely to be able to reach deeper despite what Def Tech says.


I suggested the SuperCube because it shares similar design characteristics with the Sunfire: Passive radiator, compact size, big power.

I was just also looking at the Emotiva. Well, budget is tight right now. Think the Emotiva would get me up and running? And then meanwhile I could save up and get a JL Audio class sub in the spring.... The SVS and HSU's look good but space/placement could be an issue with them. I'm reading through the Emotiva thread right now...


I know HiVi makes the drivers for Sunfire... I might just seal up the hole for the passive driver tomorrow and see how that works. You can order B&W's diamond tweeters no questions asked but stupid Sunfire wont sell their cheap crappy Chinese made passive driver to a downed customer? Just unbelievable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj /forum/post/20831196


I would look into buying a replacement passive driver that fit the enclosure. Ask sunfire the specs on the passive and get something close.

Parts Express used to sell it I think. Well they still sell HiVi 10" subs but not the 12's. I think they where made special for Sunfire. If they wouldn't sell me a replacement I doubt they would be cooperative with giving specs out. It's standard mounting holes. I have a 12" driver laying around and the holes line right up but, the magnet touches the magnet of the other driver. Hell, I'd put any passive driver in it if I could find one to buy. Parts Express has none.... Think I'm just going to order a Emotiva to get me up and running. It's cheap and disposable I guess.... then I'll just save up for something flagship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
You are needing a "Passive Radiator" and just ANY 12" PR WON'T replace your current Sunfire PR. The most probable reason that they want you to return the entire subwoofer is to get the TUNING WEIGHTS installed correctly, thereby restoring the original performance.


There are MANY subwoofers out there that can best the Sunfire, but NOT at the physical size they offer. If you can't live with a larger box ... bite the bullet and send it back for repair.


Bill C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My local B&W dealer has brand new Velodyne Optimum 12's in stock - I could be up and running tomorrow if I got home from work early enough. How's that one? (sorry, I'm so out of the loop right now). Reason I won't ship back the Sunfire is I know the turn around time until I get it back will be around a month, been down that road before, and also the principle I'm not paying shipping for it plus their $275 flat rate fee just so they can tighten down 8 allen screws and wait for ever to get it back when it's only a one minute fix - no way. I would like to watch a movie and play some games - I don't see nothing wrong with them just shipping me a replacement overnight or even 2-day. Hell with Sunfire. Alternatively, I was just going to buy a piece of MDF and just seal the entire hole for the passive driver and see how it worked out.


Anyhow, how about the Velodyne Optimum 12? I can have it as soon as tomorrow, don't even have to wait for shipping. Room size is around 1700/1800cu feet if that matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 /forum/post/20831070


Try checking out the SVS SB13-Plus, Hsu ULS-15, and the Rythmik F15. They're not puny, but they're not as costly as the JLs, and give a pretty good accounting for themselves, particularly in smaller rooms.

+1 on these sub options (if space is an issue maybe the E15 Rythmik). I would definitely look at these before an Optimum 12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Someone in the DIY forum found me a link to a seller that has three brand new passive drivers for my Sunfire. He's sending me an invoice for overnight shipping. Very happy if I can get my Sunfire back up and running. Funny, I tried searching Ebay last night and came up with no hits. I might go demo the Velodyne for the hell of it. I really do have a lot bitterness towards Sunfire now because they wouldn't sell me the part. Imagine if Ford wanted you to ship your entire vehicle back to the plant just to change tires? Absurd!
Hell, you can order B&W's Diamond tweeters if you wanted them, B&W supplies parts lists and prices for parts for all their speakers and that one tweeter alone costs almost as much as the entire Sunfire sub and its like a true real quality part not some cheap Chinese crap like that's in the Sunfire. Sunfire has very bad customer service IMO not to sell a life long customer who's given them thousands over the years a simple replacement passive radiator that take one minute to install! Will not buy their products ever again just out of principle alone!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top