AVS Forum banner

Equalizer problems

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  dbx123 
#1 ·
I recently went to a junkyard and found an equalizer sitting on a pile of scrap. I didn't think that it would work, but when i plugged it in, to my surprise, the lights flickered on.

But once i actually wired it up to my receiver, the sound was really quiet and i had to crank up the volume on the receiver all the way to hear it properly.

I'm not sure if I have it hooked up correctly or not, because i've never actually had an equalizer before.

So can someone double check my setup to see if it's just me, or a few weeks of rain on this receiver.

RCA cables from "Tape out" on the receiver, to "tape in" on equalizer

RCA cables from "Tape out" on the equalizer, to "tape in" on receiver

*note, its not my cables, because i looped the "tape out" to "tape in" on the receiver and i got full sound.

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19566219

Most of the EQ's I had years ago, had "tape monitor" in/out connections to replace the one being used by the EQ itself. The jacks used to connect to the reciever for EQ were usually labeled in/out (no tape) or input/output.

Good point. OTOH, I have found the labeling to be wildly inconsistent and the OP should try all the possible options. The ones that are wrong will give little or no signal and only the right one will work.

#5 ·
William has the right connection scheme: The EQ should have main in and out jacks that connect to a receiver’s Tape in and out jacks.

However, it won’t work because receivers haven’t had switched Tape Monitor loops since the 90s. Even if it did, it’s an analog signal chain and as such does not work with any audio fed via digital connections.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19569350

or... maybe the equalizer was on a pile of scrap for a reason.

Yes, but there are a wide range of reasons. It is true that a lot of junk EQs have been foisted off on the market. OTOH, something tells me that some people that I think are leading people in the know about audio started out with a cheap to-few band equalizer that had audible flaws. I think that it is good when people learn the connection between Hz and sound. Others seem to agree:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

This is a piece of software that enables anybody with a PC to learn some of the same things that on a really good day you might learn by hooking an equalizer to your audio system.

No cable-swapping required, and a good prerequisite for actually going hands on with an equalizer in your system.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20400647

No cable-swapping required, and a good prerequisite for actually going hands on with an equalizer in your system.

I have every intention of integrating my 23yr old ADC/dbx 525 into my "new combined" HTS/2CH system that I'm putting together. In fact, I was even researching the other day whether or not my old dbx 1BX (I sold the 3BX, damn it) will be worth putting in the line with it. It appears that it might still have some usefulness. It's cool when old stuff isn't so...old... after all

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 /forum/post/20400804

[. . . ] In fact, I was even researching the other day whether or not my old dbx 1BX . . . will be worth putting in the line with it. It appears that it might still have some usefulness. It's cool when old stuff isn't so...old... after all

My DVD carousel is connected to the AVR by an HDMI cable, but they are also linked by stereo analog cables 'run through' two "equalizers": a dbx 1BX-DS Dynamics Processor and a BBE 1002 Sonic Maximizer.

I mostly use the two processors with stereo source material [to 'fix' older and/or poorly remastered/digitized from analog material], which I can then use the AVR to post-process into a 5.x surround format if I so choose. And sometimes even a recent 5.1 soundtrack can be improved by down mixing to 2.0 'and starting again'...! (although mostly ones with really bad mixes!)

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/20401459

My DVD carousel is connected to the AVR by an HDMI cable, but they are also linked by stereo analog cables 'run through' two "equalizers": a dbx 1BX-DS Dynamics Processor and a BBE 1002 Sonic Maximizer.

I mostly use the two processors with stereo source material [to 'fix' older and/or poorly remastered/digitized from analog material], which I can then use the AVR to post-process into a 5.x surround format if I so choose. And sometimes even a recent 5.1 soundtrack can be improved by down mixing to 2.0 'and starting again'...! (although mostly ones with really bad mixes!)

Yes, even though they were designed primarily for analog material like vinyl and tape, they can still be useful for even CD (A-A-D CDs abound). They're an awesome product to use alone, or in conjunction with an EQ...even if just to listen to music that you find to be more interesting to hear in a given way, let alone, an attempt at "correcting" real or perceived deficiencies. People forget this aspect.

And as we age, most of us lose hearing in various frequency ranges, and for various reasons. A quality EQ can be a fabulous way to correct our own hearing deficiencies. I shared this once before, but I'll share it again, as it's an appropriate story, and one that really had an impact on me, personally:

In the mid 80's, I sold audio equipment for short time. We sold stuff from that ranged Fisher racks (junk)... to Vox reel-to-reel players. So, some old guy, who appeared to be in his late 70's, came in the store almost every week, wandering around, but always looking at the ADC 525SX Automatic Computerized Equalizer Analyzer (quick google for pic: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71095.0 ) that cost right at $500. I had just bought the very same EQ only months prior (and this is the one I still own and will incorporate into my new HTS/2CH system...and oh, my lights are "Marantz blue", not orange like in the link), and I was wondering why some old guy who looked clueless and lost would even be looking at something like this. He always refused offers for assistance/help, but kept coming back every week.

After maybe 2 months, Norm (I had later learned his name) not only bought the ADC EQ, but asked me if I'd come to his house on the weekend and hook it up for him, and that he'd pay me for doing so. I agreed. So, as I'm driving into what was once a nice section of this small city, but was now pretty ghetto, I'm still wondering wtf how I even got myself involved in doing this (old softy at heart, and felt bad for the old guy, I guess
).

So I enter Norms very modest little brick home....and first spot a freaking grand piano in his LR! As my eyes quickly panned the room, I see ancient, monster sized, horn loaded JBL monitors
. I'm like....holy %^$#!...this is freaking awesome. He had a MAC amp, too. As i look around, I see he has a huge album collection (probably a couple of thousand, easily), but then he opens a drawer that reveals what must have been over 100 CDs! Keep in mind, CD's were relatively new and I didn't have single friend that owned more than maybe 7 or 8 at the time! But it gets better..... Among the various CDs in the drawer, I see Steely Dan's Gaucho and almost went into shock. So I asked, "Norm, you seriously like Steely Dan??!
" (I've always loved their works...all of them). He said, "Yes, the piano arrangements are brilliant and the sound production is one of the best I've ever heard."

You see, Norm was a professional musician who had played for the Atlanta Symphony and had to retire. But he never lost his love for music, and he wanted this ADC EQ to correct areas in his hearing range that he knew wasn't "right" anymore. I hooked up his EQ, we played around with it and I showed him how to use it and how to program favorite settings, etc., and he gave me $60 for my efforts. For some reason, I've always felt bad about taking any money from him. I learned a lot that day.

#14 ·
Yes, it is a great story, dbx. I remember that you've posted it before, and I read it with great interest before. I don't mind reading it again and again, and I suspect others don't either. Please feel free to keep posting it whenever you feel like it.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm a huge fan of all of SD's works too, and I've seen them in concert twice. They always put together such a tight group of outstanding musicians live, and in the studio too. I wish Larry Carlton had toured with them. Love his Kid Charlemagne solos and his tone. Mr. 335 indeed. I have a 335. How come I can't make mine sound like his? lol.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/20402659

Wow – great story dbx!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 /forum/post/20402861

Yes, it is a great story, dbx.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm a huge fan of all of SD's works too, and I've seen them in concert twice. They always put together such a tight group of outstanding musicians live, and in the studio too. I wish Larry Carlton had toured with them. Love his Kid Charlemagne solos and his tone. Mr. 335 indeed. I have a 335. How come I can't make mine sound like his? lol.

Thanks, and yes, I have several of Carlton's works too. I'm also a big Al Di Meola fan. In fact, my oldest son (23) and I went to see Al in March, for our first father/son concert
. He loved it as much as I did. Got to meet him after the show too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20403068

Never get tired of the story.

LOL, when you say it like that, it sounds like I've told it a dozen times
. Just twice now, but....

And yes, I truly remember old Norm that fondly. He made a big impression on me. He made me realize just how many neat people quietly walk among us, and we don't even know it.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwidloski /forum/post/19565776

So can someone double check my setup to see if it's just me, or a few weeks of rain on this receiver.

RCA cables from "Tape out" on the receiver, to "tape in" on equalizer

RCA cables from "Tape out" on the equalizer, to "tape in" on receiver

*note, its not my cables, because i looped the "tape out" to "tape in" on the receiver and i got full sound.

The Tape In/Out connections on the EQ are intended to replace the ones you are now using to connect the EQ to the AVR. They should not be used for the main connections.

Rather, connect the Tape out of the AVR to the Line In of the EQ.

Connect the Line out of the EQ to the Tape In of the AVR.

BTW, what brand/model is the EQ?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20405203

The Tape In/Out connections on the EQ are intended to replace the ones you are now using to connect the EQ to the AVR. They should not be used for the main connections.

Rather, connect the Tape out of the AVR to the Line In of the EQ.

Connect the Line out of the EQ to the Tape In of the AVR.

BTW, what brand/model is the EQ?

You know, the funny thing is that this could be confusing for someone using a modern day AVR. I haven't even purchased my new AVR yet, but I actually started thinking to myself, "Shoot, there aren't "TAPE" in/outs on today's AVRs, so, how will I get my ADC & dbx into the equation?"!
. And then I realized....it will be the VCR/DVR in/out!
. LOL, silly little things can throw you off for a second when you've sidelined yourself from this "hobby" for a decade or two
. While I'm not proud that I was actually confused for a minute when I first pondered this, I figured I'd share my own silly revelation if it might help someone new here who has come along and read this thread and was wondering why their AVR didn't have "TAPE" jacks, lol
. Down the road when I get all of this together, I'll probably be searching for the "Monitor 2" switch to engage these external processors
(the older crowd will "get" this)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.