AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really basic question - do most of receivers have what I still think of as "graphic equalizers" built in? I don't see much mention of them.

As close as I can recall my receiver is 22 years old and I'm looking for an upgrade to something with HDMI and ARC (probably eARC).

Another really basic question - my 11-year-old Samsung plasma has sound modes and CEC, including speech, movies, etc. Are those equalizers good enough to help make dialog more clear, or do I need to do it on the receiver?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Allot of receivers have some form of room correction which includes the ability to equalize signal being sent to each speaker.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allot of receivers have some form of room correction which includes the ability to equalize signal being sent to each speaker.
Thanks - I've seen some of that.

What I was wondering was whether there was a way in a normal receiver to adjust bass, treble, and mid-range. I assume that's what "EQ" does, anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My receiver has room correction which includes a parametric EQ to correct for speaker and room problems. To adjust EQ to personal preference on a individual recording it has a bass and Treble controls. If you are looking for a built in 10 band EQ I didn’t see that when I was looking for a receiver. The parametric EQ can be used in a manual mode but it would be very cumbersome to keep changing it for different recordings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My receiver has room correction which includes a parametric EQ to correct for speaker and room problems. To adjust EQ to personal preference on a individual recording it has a bass and Treble controls. If you are looking for a built in 10 band EQ I didn’t see that when I was looking for a receiver. The parametric EQ can be used in a manual mode but it would be very cumbersome to keep changing it for different recordings.
Thanks, that's what I expected. I need to be able to permanently changed dialogue quality.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thanks, that's what I expected. I need to be able to permanently changed dialogue quality.
Well if you want a multi band EQ that you want to have fine control over look at something like a MiniDSP it will give you a ton of EQ options that far out strip almost any AVR. And I think you can possible adjust the EQ after room correction if you want to boost say the dialog range or bass etc.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

That you should be able to do with the manual EQ.
Some AVRs if not most have dialogue enhance options, i dont know how good they are personally but they can help from what i read.
Center channel placement and room matters a lot for clear dialogue so keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks - I've seen some of that.

What I was wondering was whether there was a way in a normal receiver to adjust bass, treble, and mid-range. I assume that's what "EQ" does, anyway.
Yes it would have. my onkyo has a setting that you can adjust bass treble etc. plus the EQ

i am assuming all would?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Really basic question - do most of receivers have what I still think of as "graphic equalizers" built in? I don't see much mention of them.
Not knowing your experience, I'm not sure how this can be answered. Do most receivers have some type of FR equalization built in these days? Yes.

Jaywalker1 said:
Another really basic question - my 11-year-old Samsung plasma has sound modes and CEC, including speech, movies, etc. Are those equalizers good enough to help make dialog more clear, or do I need to do it on the receiver?
Jaywalker1 said:
Thanks, that's what I expected. I need to be able to permanently changed dialogue quality
This is less clear. I assume you are having trouble with dialogue in movies/TV? Are you listening through the AVR or TV? What components do you have (make, model number)?

If you are using a center channel (or soundbar) connected to your AVR, speaker location is likely the issue. Have a photo of your setup?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not knowing your experience, I'm not sure how this can be answered. Do most receivers have some type of FR equalization built in these days? Yes.

This is less clear. I assume you are having trouble with dialogue in movies/TV? Are you listening through the AVR or TV? What components do you have (make, model number)?

If you are using a center channel (or soundbar) connected to your AVR, speaker location is likely the issue. Have a photo of your setup?
Yes, I'm having trouble with dialog clarity in both movies and TV.

I'm currently using my 11-year-old Samsung PN50A650 plasma as the hub of the system because the Harmon/Kardon AVR-20 II is 22 years old and doesn't have adequate ports - no HDMI. The speakers are PSB Century 400i, a left, center, and right, and are also 22 years old.

I'm basically using the PSB speakers in a soundbar configuration from the TV with virtually no separation, in an open shelf under the TV. I have increased the gain on the center channel slightly. I expect to replace the receiver with a newer model, as yet undefined. The configuration will remain the same.

When the plasma breaks I'll replace it, but likely not before that, with a 4K HDR, so I'd like the new receiver to be able to handle that as well as the current setup.

For what it's worth, my previous receiver I kept for 24 years, and since it was still working gave it away to someone who actually continued using it - so 46 years on two receivers. With the pace of change I doubt I'll be able to match that longevity, but I would like quality to be a big part.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That you should be able to do with the manual EQ.
Some AVRs if not most have dialogue enhance options, i dont know how good they are personally but they can help from what i read.
Center channel placement and room matters a lot for clear dialogue so keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've read that there's a difference between these dialog settings, with some meaning a slight gain increase in the center channel and some from digital signal processing. One of my goals in this thread is to determine which is which.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well if you want a multi band EQ that you want to have fine control over look at something like a MiniDSP it will give you a ton of EQ options that far out strip almost any AVR. And I think you can possible adjust the EQ after room correction if you want to boost say the dialog range or bass etc.
I'd never heard of miniDSP. A quick search shows them to range from $100 to $600 - the lower price would be okay. The pics look like they use coax; if that's true, I wonder if it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes, I'm having trouble with dialog clarity in both movies and TV.

I'm currently using my 11-year-old Samsung PN50A650 plasma as the hub of the system because the Harmon/Kardon AVR-20 II is 22 years old and doesn't have adequate ports - no HDMI. The speakers are PSB Century 400i, a left, center, and right, and are also 22 years old.

I'm basically using the PSB speakers in a soundbar configuration from the TV with virtually no separation, in an open shelf under the TV. I have increased the gain on the center channel slightly. I expect to replace the receiver with a newer model, as yet undefined. The configuration will remain the same.
Sounds to me like you are looking for an AVR that can increase the center channel output. Which most can these days. I'm personally a fan of Denon/Marantz, but that's just me.

Jaywalker1 said:
For what it's worth, my previous receiver I kept for 24 years, and since it was still working gave it away to someone who actually continued using it - so 46 years on two receivers. With the pace of change I doubt I'll be able to match that longevity, but I would like quality to be a big part.
Longevity is not so much anymore in this hobby, what with the different technologies that show up so quickly these days. Quality (in the case of AVRs) is subjective, I look for the unit that provides the features I am looking for at the lowest price within a range of manufacturers I am familiar with (thus the Denon/Marantz statement above), understanding that I expect to find them useful for ~7 years. Past that is a bonus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds to me like you are looking for an AVR that can increase the center channel output. Which most can these days. I'm personally a fan of Denon/Marantz, but that's just me.
I read that there's a difference in the way dialog can be improved, and I understand some may just increase the center channel gain while others do something with DSP; I'm looking for DSP processing.

Maybe not so coincidentally, I'm looking primarily at Denon/Marantz.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read that there's a difference in the way dialog can be improved, and I understand some may just increase the center channel gain while others do something with DSP; I'm looking for DSP processing.

Maybe not so coincidentally, I'm looking primarily at Denon/Marantz.
From the 2017 Denons 3400-6400 or 2018 3500-8500 or just about all 2019 models with the 20 dollar Multi editor app, you will get exactly what you are looking for, Similar on Marantz models also

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the 2017 Denons 3400-6400 or 2018 3500-8500 or just about all 2019 models with the 20 dollar Multi editor app, you will get exactly what you are looking for, Similar on Marantz models also
Thanks. Can you give me a few words on the "20 dollar Multi editor app?" What's that?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts