AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got good Klipsch KSF-10.5 speakers in front with the Klipsch center. I've got medium quality Advent Surrounds speakers. I think I have determined on the Yamaha the best Auto Setup setting for Equalization is 'Front' However I don't have a subwoofer. Since I have small children sleeping, I don't need earth shaking bass. However, I've noticed, even watching DTS DVD's, the Klipsch lack a little punch in the 40-80Hz range I think.

I think the obvious answer is to go buy a good quality, moderate size subwoofer and just not crank it. However I'm still not convinced I need on in light of my typical listening habits.

I see on the this Yamaha 1400, if you use the PEQ (auto EQ settings) you can't manually adjust them. If you set it to GEQ, you have to manually adjust everything from scratch. I'm trying to decide which ould be the better adjustment:

Write down the PEQ settings for the center and surround speakers. Then set it to GEQ and copy the settings and then go modify the front L/R settings and boost it 3dB or so at the 63Hz frequency.

Or, keept the Auto settings and just turn the Bass tone up 3dB. The only problem with this is that I believe this turns up the Bass tone for all the speakers or does it? Also the specs say the Bass adjustment is -/+ 6dB 50Hz with rollover at 350Hz. Does this mean that the cut/boost is applied linearly from 50 Hz up to 350 Hz so at 350 Hz there is no effect and at 150 Hz or so there is about half the boost/cut??

Considering these are well balanced speakers (each has 2 8" and a horn) with repsonse down to 36 Hz +/- 3db, I'm guessing it may be best to go the GEQ route rather than mess with the tone and end up boosting the mid-bass which doesn't need boost.

I may have answered my own question but any insights/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.