AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all of us enthusiasts (both A/V and gamers) have bought. Nothing is going on now. My local BB has many PS3, BRD, and HD-DVD players. Nothing significant will happen until one camp attracts J6P.

· Registered
6,158 Posts
HD DVD is coming out with less expensive players this year, likely in the $299 range.

· Banned
6,469 Posts
The only exception seems to be the Xbox drive that's hard to find in N. VA. They usually sell out within days if not hours.....The A2 is easier to find now. I went to my local BB in Tysons Corner (it's a big one) and was told it's selling more than all BD players combined - with no end cap display yet! They've only sold 3 Sony and a couple of the Pio and Panny players and the Sammys are hard to move.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
Its over now.

HD-DVD is moving into the discount stores with affordable players.

Studios can release on HD-DVD or lose that precious shelf space next to the HD-DVD player blaring that HD demo all over the electronics dept at Walmart.

· Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound /forum/post/0

Its over now.

HD-DVD is moving into the discount stores with affordable players.

Studios can release on HD-DVD or lose that precious shelf space next to the HD-DVD player blaring that HD demo all over the electronics dept at Walmart.

Dont forget that Sam's Club is carrying BD. They did have 2 HD discs as well although Superman was 5 dollars more on HD and MI3 was the same price.

As for my above comment. Im still waiting for someone to explain why there are practically no movies scheduled to be released for the first quarter of the year on HD and almost no Universal movies.

· Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/0

FUD Alert... FUD Alert...

FUD=Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

So how was my post FUD?

· Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 /forum/post/0

Dont forget that Sam's Club is carrying BD. They did have 2 HD discs as well although Superman was 5 dollars more on HD and MI3 was the same price.

As for my above comment. Im still waiting for someone to explain why there are practically no movies scheduled to be released for the first quarter of the year on HD and almost no Universal movies.

How much are they asking for it? Is it still a $1000.00 dust catcher?

· Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 /forum/post/0

Quite simple little man. Red Bull gives you Vings!

j/k

There's little difference in the end game in these two scenarios.

Studio A announces Title X is going to ship on April 7th today.

Studio B announces Title X is going to ship on April 7th on March 31st.

Both scenarios result in Title X being delivered on April 7th. The only difference is the announce dates.

· Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Quite simple little man. Red Bull gives you Vings!

j/k

Both scenarios result in Title X being delivered on April 7th. The only difference is the announce dates.

The other difference is that most of the announced BD titles are BD exclusive so there will be no date coming. As for Universal, It is standard for them and most movie studios to provide a decent bit of notice to the consumers. There are and have been exceptions but were halfway through January and there are 3 announced titles for release and all three are coming out on BD also.

· Registered
23,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/0

in Canada, Costco sells HD DVD (player only) and Sam's sells BD (player only too)

One the east side of the Seattle area the Costco Home Store (or something like that) carries the Samsung player for either $600 or $700 and maybe 6 Blu-ray movies for $20 each. I don't think the other Costco's around here carry either one.

--Darin

· Registered
23,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

It looks to me like the releases from the majors have been set through February 6th. Universal or the Weinsteins should probably be announcing stuff for after that as we go, but I think the Weinsteins are running lower on things to defend their side with and it looks like Universal is going to have to pull the heavy load as far as defense with content on the HD DVD side.

--Darin

· Registered
10,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

One the east side of the Seattle area the Costco Home Store (or something like that) carries the Samsung player for either $600 or $700 and maybe 6 Blu-ray movies for $20 each. I don't think the other Costco's around here carry either one.

--Darin

That's nice. There is no love for Canadians in terms of HD support from either camp. Sammy BD player still selling at $1,100. Software (BD and HD DVD) are crazy expensive.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Grab the add on it's $199.00

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just don't see much movement from here until J6P sees a price that will make him jump in.

Studios can release all they want at $20-$30 and electronics manufacturers can make all of the $499-$1500 players they can, but the only ones who will buy them are enthusiasts like us.

I believe most enthusiasts have already bought the hardware. A few may upgrade to Gen2, but not many. Therefore, hardware sales will slow down. We will continue to buy software, but only in the quantities we are already buying. In other words, LOTR won't sell 10 times as many copies as today's best selling releases because there won't be 10 times the demand.

This is just my opinion. Quite frankly I am sick of this whole thing. I have found myself renting more and buying less. I'm sure I am not the only one. This isn't helping the situation.

· Registered
3,993 Posts
Aggie

You're right. We can scream about content all we want but there are large pockets of people who simply aren't going to buy until the players are sub $200.

HD DVD is racing to get down to this point. J6p wants CHEAP. Even the PS3 are starting to wane. What game format is still in high demand? The Wii...the cheapest game console out. Speaks volumes doesn't it. New games system...cheaper than it's competitors and it is blowing out the doors.

Consumers are happy with DVD. You can walk into Target or Walmart and buy solid $8 movies any day of the week. These people don't want to see $30 movies and even $500. That's stratospheric to these people.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, consider the fact that DVD's were a huge improvement over VHS and DVD's didn't really take off with J6P until they became price competitive with VHS (both hardware and software).

HD Disks are only about a 10% improvement in quality (at least on my system). Therefore, to get J6P to buy they have to become price competetive with SD DVD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.