AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages for a new room and one option that I am considering is to put the equipment rack behind the screen wall. My front wall is 16 ft wide, and am considering an 8 to 10 foot screen, so I should be able to tuck it in the corner. Would have the door covered with acoustic fabric so it looks like the rest of the wall. I have already considered the light problem but do not know if lights will show through GOM. Could I use a less transparent fabric over the door? Any problems with this that I am not thinking about? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You should be able to double up the fabric or perhaps use black out cloth if the lights show through.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,282 Posts
You want the door to the equipment to either match or provide a design accent, my room was 17 wide and I used contrasting colors for side columns covered with GOM. My doors are actually solid. You should be able to do what you describe and if you need to hide the lights just put something behind the fabric.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big,

Thanks. Your room is what first gave me the idea. If your room is 17 ft, how wide is the screen wall? Your columns next to the stage look to be at least 2 ft.

Another question - will standard remotes work through GOM or whatever fabric I end up with (assuming not a blanket)?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf /forum/post/14319076

Big,

Thanks. Your room is what first gave me the idea. If your room is 17 ft, how wide is the screen wall? Your columns next to the stage look to be at least 2 ft.

Another question - will standard remotes work through GOM or whatever fabric I end up with (assuming not a blanket)?

Checked my notes, the blacked out area is 12.5 ft. and the columns are 2.5 each.

I've read reposts of success with IR controls through a layer of GOM. I'm working on setting up an RF system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts