AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you Boston-area members have any suggestions for what would be the least expensive, but still effective, way to capture and process OTA signals here? I would be setting up in Hyde Park, and am limited to using an attic antenna. I'm guessing that it would involve picking up a discounted or used DTC-100 and a low- to mid-range antenna, maybe from the Shack. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I live in Taunton,some 25-30 miles from the towers in Needham. I use a RS set-top amplified indoor antenna and receive strong signals on WBZ-DT and WCVB-DT. Late at night I receive a useable signal on WFXT-DT. My tuner is the Mitsu SR-HD5.

------------------

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Roberge.

I think the crux of your question is high-def, low-cost. For sure, as you expected, the biggest cost will be the HDTV OTA receiver itself. I'm not sure what's the biggest bang for the buck is these days, but I'd guess that used DTC-100's would be your cheapest avenue.

I have the Mitsubishi SR-HD5 and, IMHO, it's the "least worst" of the bunch. Of course, it's also in that $700 sweet spot that most Gen II receivers happen to be centered in. The DTC-100 is a (the?) Gen I receiver. As people move to Gen II or new Gen III receiver, you may find them to be available on places like eBay for a steal.

Good luck!

- Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.