AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on using room eq wizard to calibrate my speakers.

I'll be using a radio shack spl meter. Are they're any differences between the analog and digital versions besides the display? Do they function and make readings that are exactly the same?

The sound card on my computer has a line out and a spdif out. Are they any differences between using the line out and spdif out when calibrating? The only thing I can think of is that spdif out would only require one connection to the digital in on the reciever while the line out I would have to split the signal. Which connection would be the most accurate for calibration?

I also read on the room eq wizard faq that I should have at least 2 line in and 2 line out so I can do a loopback connection (2nd line in connected to 2nd line out). Since my sound card only has 1 line in and 1 line out I cannot have a loopback connection. How would this affect the accuracy of the calibration?

For connecting the spl meter what kind of cable do I need? The online manual said that the radio shack spl meter has a phono type output jack. Does this mean it requires a rca connection or a 1/4" connection?

Also, later on I might decide to use a microphone instead of the spl meter. I read that microphones require phantom power. What is phantom power? I don't think the line in on my sound card has phantom power. Would the microphone not work if the line in doesn't have phantom power?

Sorry for all the questions, it is my first time calibrating speakers. Thanks for the help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.