AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to buy a new TV and of course we want to begin incorporating HDTV. We have a multi-brand home theater system with a Sony receiver as its center. Our reception is through Dish Network. My question is, what equipment in a home theater system needs to be "HDTV capable?" Do I need an HDTV satellite receiver, HDTV home theater receiver, and an HDTV television? Will I still have to have a separate HDTV box? (I don't plan on buying a television with it built in, just in case the standards change.) Thanks ahead of time for your help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
depends on exact equipment of course, but

1) if you mean an audio "HDTV home theater receiver" then no, simply b/c most people will connect all video directly to the tv to avoid degredation by switching. If you use your reciever for audio/non-hd video your existing should be fine.

2) not sure on dish, but you will need a hdtv settop box from them and hdtv satellite if your is not or is not upgradeable (hardware).

3) yes you need an hdtv ready tv :)

4) if you get an hdtv reciever from dish, and that is your only source of hdtv (you arent trying to get over the air with a seperate antenna) then you will not need an additional settop box

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that is great information. So I will buy an HDTV-ready television and the Dish Network HDTV receiver. I will plug my video connections into the television and my audio connections into the Sony STR-DE1075 receiver. I better get a TV with a lot of video connections!:D Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.