Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for years in various forums, but finally registered because I am designing and will build a dedicated HT room in my home, and invariably with that type of undertaking, I will need all of your help. Besides, I'll need to show it off here when I'm done. :)

Here is my first question, but first a little background. I've tried searching, but haven't found anything. In fact, it was difficult to think of search criteria that might help me find this discussion. My current design involves building a 20'2"x 13'10" (finished size) room within a room with a suspended joist cieling inset inside the current joists...pretty standard stuff. Soundproofing is key to my design. I plan on sealing the room as much as possible; double drywall, acoustical caulk, insultation, etc. I even plan on isolating the sill from the concrete floor (I'm open to suggestions on this as well). So, currently I've got the "equipment room" (actually a 2x3 closet) drawn up to be built inside the "acoustic envelope" in a rear corner. The other rear corner will have a similar closet that will hold media and other incidental things. The entrance door will be between the two in the center of the rear of the room.

So now the question; what are the ramifications, and pros and cons of putting the equipment inside of the room vs. outside. What do most people do? I'm aware of heat issues from the equipment, but want to make sure I'm not missing other issues. I'v considered various methods of having it outside of the room, but open to the room, but can't think of any plausible way "seal" it up in this situation. Obviously, I could have it completely out and just punch small holes into the envelope for cables, etc., but I have space issues, WAF issues (having it outside), and I'd sort of prefer to have access to the equpment (mostly the DVD player) from inside of the room.

Also, assuming that I keep it in the room as planned, is it recommended to give this closet it's own exhaust and fan to an adjacent laundry room or just circulate air into and out of the main part of the HT room to cool the equipment and let the normal HVAC return handle the extra heat? I know the former leads to more holes in the sealed room, but may make it easier to cool the equipment closet and lead to a more comfortable temp in the HT. It would act essentially as an additional return for the HVAC (I won't have a dedicated HVAC for the room, it will be part of the existing system) since it would be exhausted to an adjacent room that is close to the existing return for the HVAC.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help. Any experience, suggestions, or ideas are welcome.

Bill~

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Either way will work. Mine will be outside as I do not have room inside. I personally don't want to see the equipment but as you stated, you were planning on putting the equipment in a seperate closet within the room.

Whatever works for best for you is the way to go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Boy that sounds a lot like what I'm building in my basement right now! Except for the closet space at the rear.

As far as location of equipment goes, the further you are away with it, the more it is going to cost for the cable. I am putting my equipment outside of my envelope to the side, in its own equipment room, this giving me the shortest distance to my projector and putting it about equal to my front and rear speakers.

I have been reading in other areas that DVI is only good picture quality out to 15 feet. But would suggest you reconfirm that if you are going to use this type and are near that footage.

Best of luck with your future HT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.