AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many months of reading and research, carefully considering Plasma (both ED and HD), DLP, Lcos and LCD, and reading all the opinions of so many well informed people on the AVS forum (Rogo, Rich Harkness, Ken Ross, UMR and Arun just to name a few), I've finally decided that the Panny 42PWD6UY is best for me at this time.

I am starting with no equipment other than my Motorola cable box provided by Comcast and a stand alone Tivo. I'd appreciate getting guidance on these equipment questions:

1. Where is the best place in terms of price and reputation to get the optional attached speakers?

2. I don't have a DVD player. Any suggestions on which brand/model would be best for the Panny 42PWD6UY?

3. I want to watch OTA digital and HD content. Any suggestions for an inexpensive STB that will stand in until the new HD Tivo arrives (at that time I'm dumping Comcast and going with direcTV)?

4. Finally, any advice in terms of which inputs and outputs to use for the above equipment? FYI, I won't be attaching a computer or VCR.

Thanks very much! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the exact same situation as you. I am pretty sure that I am going to go for the 6UY but other than that everything is up in the air.

My current consideration is to add the DVI board to the 6UY and use the Bravo DVD player (this is by the cheapest DVD player that has DVI) for viewing movies.

The other possibility is to use a good DVD player with component video so that I have a free DVI connection for the DirecTivo HD when it comes available. I think that this is my preferred option.

While waiting for the DirecTivo HD, I will probably just go for Comcast HD because at $5 a month extra, it would be impossible to get a HD STB for the same price. The only thing there is that you would have to switch your component video between the DVD player and the Comcast (the panny only has one component IN and the Comcast doesn't have DVI as far as I know).

It's going to start getting fun, once I start spending my hard borrowed money.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, Crimecast (oh, I mean Comcast) doesn't have HD in my area, so I have no choice but to get a STB if I want to at least get OTA HD. Any suggestions for an inexpensive one?

Also, any suggestions on a DVD player that I'll use with component?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GeoffNet
I am in the exact same situation as you. I am pretty sure that I am going to go for the 6UY but other than that everything is up in the air.

My current consideration is to add the DVI board to the 6UY and use the Bravo DVD player (this is by the cheapest DVD player that has DVI) for viewing movies.

The other possibility is to use a good DVD player with component video so that I have a free DVI connection for the DirecTivo HD when it comes available. I think that this is my preferred option.

While waiting for the DirecTivo HD, I will probably just go for Comcast HD because at $5 a month extra, it would be impossible to get a HD STB for the same price. The only thing there is that you would have to switch your component video between the DVD player and the Comcast (the panny only has one component IN and the Comcast doesn't have DVI as far as I know).

It's going to start getting fun, once I start spending my hard borrowed money.
The 6uy actually has two component inputs. One is a standard 5 lead BNC (you only need to use 3) and the other is a 15 pin VGA. You can find a component RCA to VGA cable if you search the net.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's great because I just purchased the 6UY about 5 minutes ago. I was going to add a component video card for an extra $100 but decided against it. Boy, would I have felt stupid.

Just a note to brick33308, I purchased the panny at VA (click on the banner on the AVSForum home) because they ship BNC to RCA adapters and it was in stock. When I called them up I asked if they would match PC's price(there's a special price listed at the top of this forum). They beat the out the door price by $5 and I'll get the BNC adapters and the unit sooner.

I'm not suggesting where anyone should buy their gear. I'm just noting that sometimes it pays to click on a forum sponsor's link.

As for the $5 a month extra for comcast cable ... I would get the 4 network channels. I ended up doubling my bill to $100/month but I added full digital cable with HD HBO and ESPN plus the others as they add them. That also includes Internet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with Paul at VA and bought the 6UY. He gave me the same deal he gave GeoffNet. I also bought the Bello 4260 stand at a price that was a bit below the prices I found elsewhere.

Now, any suggestions as to a DVD player for my new 6UY?!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is the pricematch really that great if you need a stand though? I need to get the table top stand for about $200 and from VA I can get the whole bundle for $3000, which would make it $3100 from PC, right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Paul at VA did say that they were thinking about changing the price on the web to reflect the price we paid. We just got a jump on the better price. It's kind of amazing that I will get excited over saving $120 (including stand) on a $3K piece of equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I remember correctly (I forgot my note at work), the out the door price for the display was 2890. That included the display, shipping and VA throws in the BNC adapters. I also purchased the wall mount.

The saving $120 is a little misleading. I got that by comparing what I paid to what it would have cost if I just ordered online without asking for a discount. If I compare what I paid to what I would have for the same stuff (minus the BNC adapters) at PC then the saving is something like $55. It's not much and the major reason I went with VA is because it was in stock. Both places are very reputable suppliers (Paul at VA even admits this) so a decision to go with either is probably a good one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's also the price VA gave me as well. And I agree, the compelling reason was that VA was able to ship today. According to PC's website as of today, they're out of stock.

·
Registered
713 Posts
GeoffNet - Did you order online or over the phone? Also, how'd you get it at that price? When I added the TV and the table stand to my shopping cart it came out to $2940 and the TV with the wall mount comes out to $2920. Point is this.... how'd you get it all for under $3,000?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.