AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked a similar question in the past and got a limited answer. SO here I go again....

Here is my current setup.

Dual LNB single bird dish running to a Channel Master 3X8 powered multiswitch. I do not use the 3rd input which is for OTA signals. I have this multiswitch split into UTV #1 in living room, UTV #2 in MBR, and 1 each traditional receivers in the two spare bedrooms. Thus I have 2 un-used outputs.

I recently called DirecTV and they offered me a free upgrade to an oval dish with 3 LNBs. I took it and have not added anything else. So now the 3 LNB is running into the Channel Master multiswitch and all the receivers work in this configuration.

So I want to add a DirecTV HDTV receiver and keep my UTV. I can't live without UTV any more. Can I just feed one of the un-used outputs from the multiswitch to a new HDTV receiver to get the first bird, and then feed the outputs from the remaining connections on the LNB to get the HDTV content to the new receiver? If not, what are my options.

So after I get the wiring configuration taken care of, what are your recommendations for an HDTV receiver? I have a Panasonic HDTV ready TV with composite inputs, not the vga type. Money is an issue with me. I want good equipment, but reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I think you almost have the idea. Do not connect the multiswitch to the HD receiver though.

The 3x8 multiswitch limits you to the 101 bird so only should feed the standard receivers. The 3LNB dish has a built in 4x4 multiswitch. You need to run 2 lines from it to the 3x8 and connect any HD receivers directly to the unused outputs on dish.

An alternative would be to replace the 3x8 with a 5x8 cascadable multiswitch. 4 lines would have to be run from the dish to the 5X8. Then you would have 3 sat capability, which is needed for HD, throughout the house.

Your TV's HD inputs are component, not composite which is a single yellow input for ordinary video.

See the STB synopsis on the first page of the HD hardware forum threads to help make a decision on STB type. Your needs and preferences may not be shared by us. It's really your decision. There is no perfect STB.

Oh! Please make your thread titles more descriptive of your question. People with more knowledge and less time than me will be more likely to read you question and and lend a hand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Greywolf, I believe the following request is for you in particular, since you are so knowledgeable on the subject and have helped so many out before. I, too, have a configuration question and am hopeful that you've got a moment to educate me.

I currently have a dual-LNB DirecTV round dish feeding into a 2x6 multiswitch, which in turns feeds two different DirecTIVO's (2 feeds each) for living room and bedroom #1, and a third SD DirecTV receiver for bedroom #2. We recently purchased an ED Panny Plasma and wish to upgrade to an HDTV DirecTV receiver in the living room, while still keeping the DirecTIVO, which we can no longer live without. Thus, we are planning to have the two DirecTV receivers (the TIVO and the HDTV) run into an A/V receiver, which will perform the switching function for the plasma monitor. We have purchased the Hughes E86 HDTV DirecTV receiver and plan to hook it up to a roof-mounted antenna (hopefully close to or using the DirecTV satellite dish for its mount) in order to pull in OTA HDTV programming as well.

So, how should we go about setting this up with the least expense and inconvenience? In particular, is there any way to avoid running yet a third line into the room for the HDTV receiver? And is there any way to save the expense of having to purchase another and different multi-switch? (I should have gotten a 3x8 initially, but I knew even less then than now.) I have heard about using a diplexer to carry both the OTA antenna signal and the satellite signal, but I am completely confused as to how this would work with what appears to me to be the need for yet a third coax line into the house from the satellite dish.

Can you help? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
A diplexer combines a DSS signal with an OTA signal so only one line is needed for both. Multiswitches configured as 2x# like your 2x6 and 3x# which can handle an OTA line in addition cannot be used for HD receivers which need to see more satellites. To get HD signals diplexed with OTA, you need a 5X8 cascadable multiswitch which gets 4 lines from the dish and 1 from the antenna.

You have a D*Tivo with 2 tuners and an E86 with one. Sorry but that means 3 lines from the multiswitch to get all tuners to function. You could use only one Tivo tuner if the need for another line is a deal breaker.

See the wiring diagrams at 18inch.com

You will probably need diplexers again at the TV end to separate the OTA and DSS signals except for boxes like the E86 which can accept a diplexed line at the Sat in connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.